Jan 28, 2020
German Major - Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Please see the UNLV College of Liberal Arts, World Languages and Cultures web page at liberalarts.unlv.edu/Foreign_Languages for information about department programs, faculty and facilities.
Please see advising information at the UNLV Wilson Advising Center at www.liberalarts.unlv.edu/WAC/.
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org.
- Students beginning Third-Year German Conversation and Composition are expected to have reached an intermediate level of reading, writing, listening and speaking proficiency.
- Students should be able to read somewhat longer prose of several paragraphs in length, comprehending the main ideas and facts.
- Students should be able to write in German on everyday-topics with a reasonable degree of analytical, lexical and grammatical proficiency.
- Students should be able to listen and understand main ideas and facts of a connected discourse on a variety of topics.
- Students should be able to pronounce German in a comprehensible manner and converse on general topics, narrate events and describe what they see.
- Demonstrate a general understanding of the major German literary movements, including key concepts, events and figures involved.
- Demonstrate a general understanding of the major German historical movements, including key concepts, events and figures involved.
- Understand the nature and development of the culture and civilization of Germany and the German-speaking countries.
University Graduation Requirements
German Degree Requirements - Total: 120 Credits
General Education Requirements - Subtotal: 35-40 Credits
First-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
English Composition - Credits: 6
Second-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
Constitutions - Credits: 3-6
Distribution Requirements - Credits: 18
Please see Distribution Requirements for more information.
- Humanities and Fine Arts:
- Automatically satisfied by Major requirements
- Social Science - 9 credits
- One course each from three different fields
- Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking: 9-10 credits
- Two courses from life and physical sciences category; at least one must have a lab.
- Analytical Thinking - 3 credits
Multicultural and International
Multicultural, one 3 credit course required
International, one 3 credit course required
These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. A single course may not meet the multicultural and international requirements simultaneously. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: http://facultysenate.unlv.edu/students
Major Requirements - BA in German - Subtotal: 48 Credits
Additional Degree Requirements
Humanities - Credits: 6
Fine Arts - Credits: 6
German Studies Requirements - Credits: 36
Electives - Credits: 32-37