Jul 14, 2024  
2014-2015 Undergraduate Catalog 

Student Services & Activities

 Click on any of the following links for information:

The University is committed to placing students at the center of all that we do. In addition, we work to foster good citizenship and appropriate responsibility among all members of the university community. It is our job to create an environment in which students can learn—where they will be challenged, where they can take risks, where they will be safe. Students have opportunities for recreation and entertainment through intramural programs, athletic events, concerts, and other cultural events as well as opportunities for involvement in student government, campus activities, honor societies, and faculty research.

The Division of Student Affairs assists students in their intellectual, social, and personal development. We share responsibility for creating an environment that is conducive to learning and personal development. Programs and services within Student Affairs are organized in six units: Student Affairs Administration, Campus Life, The Center for Academic Enrichment and Outreach, Enrollment and Student Services, Police Services, and Student Wellness.

Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs

^ Top

The Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs is located in Flora Dungan Humanities Building (FDH), Room 514. The Vice President is responsible for coordinating services and programs offered within the Division of Student Affairs. Responsibility for the student judicial affairs process rests with the Vice President. The Vice President works with student leaders, contract providers, and division staff to ensure that students are well served.

Housing and Residential Life

^ Top

The Office of Housing and Residential Life, in collaboration with the students living in the residence halls, is responsible for the development of a comprehensive housing and food service program. The residence halls are staffed by full-time professionals trained in counseling and college student development and by student peer advisors who undergo extensive training. Residence hall staff and students work together to create an environment that supports student academic achievement, healthy lifestyle choices, responsible behavior, and personal development.

The Office of Housing and Residential Life is located in Tonopah North. Students wishing to live in the residence halls must request a residence and dining hall contract directly from this office or can download the contract by accessing the Internet at housing.unlv.edu. Housing is available on a first come first-served basis to any full-time, regularly enrolled student. Freshman students graduating from high schools outside of Clark County, Nevada, are required to live in the on-campus residence halls unless excused by the Housing and Residential Life Office. For specific information on the freshman on-campus housing regulation, contact the Housing and Residential Life Office in Tonopah North or by telephone at 702-895-3489.

Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation
The University of Nevada, Las Vegas Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation requires that all unmarried undergraduate freshman students who have been admitted for study and who are enrolled for a least 12 credit hours reside in university residence halls unless:

  1. The student has been excluded from this requirement (see A below).
  2. The student has been granted an exemption from this requirement (see B below).
  3. The student has been excused from this requirement (see C below).
  4. Space is no longer available in the residence halls.
  1. Exclusion From the Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation
    Exclusions from the on-campus living requirement will be provided for those students who, prior to July 1 for fall semester, December 10 for spring semester, or May 1 for summer term, submit appropriate documentation to the Office of Housing and Residential Life indicating that they have:
    1. Married.
    2. Achieved sophomore class standing by earning at least 24 semester credits.
    3. Completed high school at least one calendar year previous and, because an independent living style has been established, it is unlikely that the residence hall experience would be educationally beneficial.
    4. Been previously enrolled at this or another university as a full‑time student for a least two semesters or the equivalent.
  2. Exemptions for the Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation
    Graduates of high schools located in Clark County whose actual residence is with parents, guardians, or close adult relatives are automatically exempted from this requirement.

    Requests for exemptions from this regulation by students who graduated from high schools outside of Clark County must be submitted on the form available through the Office of Housing and Residential Life by July 1 for fall semester, December 10 for spring semester, or May 1 for summer term and may be approved if actual local residence is with parents, guardians, or close adult relatives not subject to the on-campus living requirement. The student is required to register with the Office of Housing and Residential Life and qualifies for exemption when the actual local residence is with parent, legal guardian, grandparent, adult aunt or uncle, or adult brother or sister and the actual local residence is within metropolitan Las Vegas, including greater Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Boulder City, Henderson, and Blue Diamond.
  3. Requests to Be Excused
    Requests to be excused from compliance with the Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation will be considered by the Office of Housing and Residential Life provided the specific request supports a reason listed below and that the written request to be excused is received by the Office of Housing and Residential Life by July 1 for fall semester, December 10 for spring semester, or May 1 for summer term.
    1. Medical necessity certified by a physician and approved by the Office of Campus Housing after reasonable accommodations are made in room assignment, facilities, or other adaptation.
    2. Financial hardship supported by Family Financial Statement (FFS) or Family Aid Form (FAF) evaluated by the Office of Student Financial Services and approved by the Office of Housing and Residential Life in accordance with the established standards for the determination of financial hardship. Approximately six to eight weeks are needed to process the FFS or FAF forms, and no request for a financial hardship can be considered until the forms have been processed.
    3. Special circumstances supported by compelling documentation. The denial or approval of the request will depend upon substantiation of the circumstances.
  4. Compliance with Regulation
    Compliance with the Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation is a condition of initial registration and continuing enrollment at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
    1. All regularly admitted students who have not earned 24 semester hours of college-level credits and who are enrolling as full-time students for either an academic semester (12 or more credits) or a summer term (six or more credits) are subject to this policy.
    2. First-time freshmen requesting exemption or to be excused from the on-campus housing requirement must complete their requests with the Office of Housing and Residential Life prior to the dates specified in each section.
    3. Transfer students to the University of Nevada, Las Vegas must present documentation of eligibility for exclusion in the form of transcripts to the Office of Housing and Residential Life .

The Office of Housing and Residential Life  is the only agent for administration of the Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation. All approvals for waiver (exclusion, exemption, or excused) from this requirement must be in writing from the Office of Housing and Residential Life. Proof of compliance with the Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation is the responsibility of the student, and failure to comply with this regulation may be cause for denial or cancellation of registration.

On-Campus Housing and Food Service
Students choosing to live on campus will find themselves living in modern, comfortable, and conveniently located residence halls. All residence halls have been constructed or renovated since 1988 and are located in the southeast section of campus, only a few minutes’ walk from the center of campus. Residence hall rooms, with few exceptions, are double-occupancy; two rooms share a bath. Each student will have a bed and mattress, study desk and chair, wardrobe or closet space, and drawers for storage. Ample lounge space for studying and socializing is found in each building. All buildings are air-conditioned, provide laundry facilities, and TV and are close to the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

Students will find that a number of special features accompany residence hall living. Students have the opportunity to live in residential environments planned around specific themes such as freshman support programs, upper‑class programs, substance-free and study-intensive. Computer labs are available at no charge. Parking is located near most of the buildings. Residents are provided with local phone service from their room at no additional cost; long-distance service can be accessed by the use of a calling card.

Students choosing to live in the residence halls become members of a vibrant community. Students have the opportunity to participate in a wide variety of activities and take on leadership roles through student program committees, the Residence Hall Association (student government), and student employment positions. New residents will find their floor a center of activity and learning. Guided by a resident assistant, a carefully selected and specially trained upperclassman, the floor members will establish and monitor floor standards and plan events, and will assist each other in mastering the challenges of college.

Food Service: The Hazel M. Wilson Dining Commons, immediately adjacent to the residence halls, was constructed in 1990. All residents must participate in the dining program, the cost of which is included in the residence hall fee. A variety of meal plans and eating options are available, providing students with a wide variety of food from which to choose a balanced diet. Special meals and dining events occur throughout the year. For health and safety reasons, cooking is not permitted in the residence halls.

Residence and Dining Hall Costs: The cost of room and board will vary depending on the meal plan selected. For detailed information about housing and food service fees, please contact the Housing and Residential Life office or visit our website at http://housing.unlv.edu

Room and Board Refund: Residence hall students officially withdrawing from the university will receive a room and board refund according to terms and conditions of the dining and residence halls contract.

Applying for Housing: On-campus housing, 702-895-3489, is offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Freshmen who have graduated from high schools outside of Clark County, Nevada, are required to live in on-campus housing.  The Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation is published in the Admissions section of this catalog. Questions regarding the regulation can be addressed to the Housing and Residential Life  office. While approximately 2,000 beds exist on campus, the demand for housing usually exceeds availability. Interested students should request a contract directly from the Housing and Residential Life  office or can download the contract by accessing the Internet at housing.unlv.edu. Associated fees and all reservation information can be accessed on the website or questions can be addressed by calling.

Other Housing: Married students must seek housing off campus. More than 40 apartment complexes are available within walking distance of the campus. These rental apartments are available at a wide range of costs, depending upon the accommodations.

Students living off campus may purchase a commuter student meal card or pay for each meal in the Dining Commons.

Campus Copy Center

^ Top

A full-service copy center, off of Harmon near the Lied Library is available for faculty, staff, and students. Discounted prices are available. All copyright regulations apply.

Student ID Card (Rebel Card) Services

^ Top


You will need an identification card for various uses on campus, i.e., computer lab, library, physical education facility use, getting a parking permit, plays, concerts, selling back books, games room, CSUN elections, and student discounts.

The RebelCard is the official UNLV identification card. To get your RebelCard you must be registered and present a state or federal ID to the RebelCard Service Center located in the Student Union Room 118, next door to Starbucks. You can deposit money to your card and use it as a debit card (RebelCash) at participating locations both on and off campus. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday - Wednesday and 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Thursday and Friday.

UNLV Tickets

^ Top

702-739-FANS (3267) or 866-388-FANS (3267)
Ticket offices are located on campus to handle ticket sales to various events. Locations include:
Performing Arts Center (702-895-2787)
Thomas & Mack Center Special Events (702-739-3267).

Student Union and Event Services

^ Top

Phone: 702-895-4449
Fax: 702-895-1609
eventservices.unlv.edu and studentunion.unlv.edu

Student Union and Event Services provides modern space in the Student Union for the campus community to eat, study and gather under one roof as well as provides centralized scheduling and event planning services for Student Affairs Facilities, the Stan Fulton Building and campus green space.  The Student Union is the hub of student activity on campus, featuring over 2 million guests each year. It is the place to meet, socialize, play, learn and grow - all in an active environment that fits the livelihood of UNLV.

Student Union & Event Services schedules and serves:
Student Union
Student Recreation and Wellness Center
Stan Fulton Building Ballroom, Classrooms and Conference Rooms (new spring 2014)
Summer Conference Housing (groups)
Summer Intern Housing
University green spaces (Alumni Amphitheater, Student Union Courtyard, North Field, Pida Plaza, Intramural Fields, and SRWC lawn)

Services we provide:
Scheduling and planning
Customized event space set-ups
In-house and rental of audio visual and other specialty equipment
Business services for event Guests
Full selection of audio-visual and other equipment
Event-coordination services (if required or requested)
Risk management assessment and planning
Security and parking coordination
Registration services
Package shipping and receiving for event materials
Recycling coordination and recommendations
Food and beverage planning recommendations
Day of event services
Student Union marketing services (LED advertisements, table tents, banners, etc)
Student Union and Student Recreation and Wellness Center marketing tables
Information for on-campus resources

Career Services

^ Top

Assists all students with career planning, career development, and job searches. Students clarifying career decisions, seeking career-related experiences, or pursuing a professional job search can benefit from the many services of this office. Specifically, the office provides:

  • Computerized career assessment systems
  • Career counseling
  • Career Information Center
  • Internship assistance, promotion, and referral
  • Career Fair events
  • On-campus interviewing
  • On-line postings for campus jobs, internship and career positions
  • Resume-writing assistance
  • Interview coaching (video-assisted)
  • Career-related seminars and workshops

Questions about career-related planning or issues should be directed to the department in the Student Services Complex (SSC 301) or by telephone at 702-895-3495.Our website is http://hire.unlv.edu.

Disability Resource Center

^ Top

The Disability Resource Center (DRC) is the officially designated office for determining eligibility and facilitating accommodations for UNLV students with disabilities. Students who are interested in obtaining accommodations must apply to the DRC and provide current medical, psychological, or psycho-educational documentation for review. Applying for services can be done on-line at drc.unlv.edu/prospective.html.

The DRC collaborates with students, faculty and the university community to facilitate the creation of accessible environments that support student learning and success. The DRC strives to empower students by providing services that are designed to foster student independence, self-determination, and disability pride.

The DRC offers a wide range of supportive services (not special education resources) so that eligible students with disabilities can access and participate in university programs and courses. Services are provided on a case-by-case basis and may include: note-taking services, testing accommodations, alternative media, assistive technologies, sign language interpreting or speech-to-text services, various other resources and referrals, faculty and staff consultation and workshops and presentations of various topics of interest to students with disabilities.

Questions about services or disability related issues should be directed to the DRC by phone at 702-895-0866, or by e-mail at drc@unlv.edu. The center is located on campus in the Reynolds Student Services Complex, Building A in Room 143.

NCAA Academic Services and Compliance

^ Top

This office works in conjunction with academic programs and team coaches to provide advising, tutoring, computer access, and other academic support services for UNLV’s 400+ intercollegiate athletes. Office staff may be contacted by telephone at 702-895-0668 or in person at the Flora Dungan Humanities Building, Room 422 (FDH 422).

Office of Veteran Services

^ Top



The Office of Veteran Services is located in the Donald W. Reynolds Student Services Complex, Building A, Third Floor, Room 311, and is open Monday through Friday, 8 am – 5 pm. (Phone: (702) 895-2290. Home page: unlv.edu/veterans)

In 2012, UNLV established the Office of Veteran Services to better serve our growing student veteran and military family community by developing a welcoming, veteran-friendly campus environment that fosters academic and personal success. We understand the many challenges related to pursuing a degree while serving on active duty, as well as the challenges associated with making the leap from the military to the civilian world. Working with the Student Veterans & Military Family Services Committee to meet these needs, the office is staffed with veterans and GI Bill-experienced staff to assist more than 1,200 veterans, dependents, active duty service members, National Guard members and reservists with answers to questions concerning admissions, GI Bill enrollment certification, financial aid resources, campus and community support services, local veteran discounted-housing programs and various networks for veteran employment opportunities.
The benefits of attending UNLV Las Vegas:

  • Nevada residency granted to all “honorably” discharged veterans within two years of separation
  • Priority registration for all veterans to expedite payment of their housing allowance
  • UNLV is ranked as a Top 15% “Veteran-Friendly” University (GIJOBS.COM 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)
  • UNLV has a VetSuccess program with a VA Benefits Counselor on campus
  • UNLV is a Yellow Ribbon Fund participant
  • UNLV sponsors a nationally recognized Student Veteran Organization
  • VOCREHAB counselors come to UNLV to provide services
  • Las Vegas has a new VA Regional Hospital with state-of-the-art medical services
  • UNLV co-sponsors an annual Veteran Career Fair with local employers ready to hire you!

Certifying Services include:

  • Certifying students’ enrollment status to the Veterans Administration
  • Making referrals to the Veterans Administration regarding benefits questions
  • Providing the enrollment forms to be submitted each term, and related information
  • Educating our student veterans on challenges relating to any disruption in VA payment, changes in the program, and dropped or added courses
  • Providing key transition information for new and transferring students
  • Providing students with information about any changes in VA regulations

Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS)

^ Top

For International Student Services:

Phone: 702-774-6477
Fax: 702-895-0155
Email: OISS@unlv.edu

For International Scholar Services:

Phone: 702-895-0218
Fax: 702-895-0165
Email: scholar@unlv.edu

The International Students and Scholars office (OISS) assists international students and scholars in their transition to UNLV and maintaining their immigration status while studying or working at the university. Initial inquiries about the university, admission applications, transcripts of previous college and universities, and I-20 issuance should be addressed to the Office of Admissions at internationaladmissions@unlv.edu.

Services provided by OISS include orientation, visa/immigration advising and documents for current students, personal and academic assistance, and social and cultural programs.

OISS is located in Enrollment Services Building, SSC-C.

Campus Recreational Services

^ Top

The Office of Campus Recreational Services is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive recreational activities program that provides an opportunity to engage in organized activities for enjoyment, health, and social interaction. The activities that are scheduled and coordinated for UNLV students, faculty, and staff include intramural sports, outdoor equipment rental shop, Outdoor Adventures, and  non-credit courses.

Fitness and Wellness Programs: This component of the department is responsible for all activities including; more than 250 exercise machines such as cardio and selectorized and free weights; group fitness classes including traditional and progressive class format; personal training and fitness assessments.  Personal training, fitness assessment and body composition analysis can be scheduled in the Rebel Wellness Zone (RWZ), 2nd floor of SRWC.  702-895-4400, www.unlv.edu/srwc/rwz

Intramural Sports: This component of the department is responsible for individual and dual activities such as tennis, Ping-Pong, racquetball, etc. Team sports offered include flag football, basketball, soccer, floor hockey, dodge ball, kickball, volleyball and softball. Special events that occur during the year include ooze ball (mud volleyball), Table tennis tournaments, video game console tournaments, etc.  The Intramural Sports office is located in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center (SRWC). Additional questions can be answered by calling our office at 702-774-7120 or going to our website at SRWC.unlv.edu.

Outdoor Equipment Rental Shop: Students can rent camping or recreational equipment for an outdoor experience. Included in the inventory are two- and four-person tents, backpacks, sleeping bags, canoes, stoves, lanterns, snowshoes, coolers, volleyball sets and much, much more. The shop is located in the SRWC or can be contacted at 702-774-7120 or SRWC.unlv.edu.

Outdoor Adventures: This unit is responsible for providing opportunities to individuals who wish to participate in outdoor pursuits. Outdoor Adventures trips include canoeing, hiking, backpacking, camping, snowshoeing, and rock climbing trips throughout the southwest. Information about the current adventures is available for pick-up in the SRWC, call 702-774-7120, or go to SRWC.unlv.edu.

Club Sports: The office of Club Sports assists student organizations interested in recreational activities. Some of the clubs include rugby, boxing, lacrosse, water polo, volleyball, ice hockey, ultimate Frisbee, and tennis. Students interested in joining or starting a recreational club are encouraged to visit Club Sports in the SRWC or phone 702-774-7120, SRWC.unlv.edu.

Student Employment: Opportunities exist in all areas of responsibility within the Campus Recreational office i.e. sports official, office attendant, fitness staff, outdoor trip leader, and supervisor positions. The main office is located in the SRWC. Additional questions can be answered by calling our office at 702-774-7120 or going to SRWC.unlv.edu.

Office of Civic Engagement and Diversity (OCED)

^ Top

The Office of Civic Engagement and Diversity helps students get involved through campus activities, leadership development opportunities, service programs, multicultural programs, international student programs, registered student organizations, Fraternities/Sororities and more. Each week there are an average of 8 student programs and events for you to attend.  This office also oversees the Leadership and Civic Engagement minor. Involvement connects what you learn in the classroom with real-world experiences, helping prepare you for leadership positions in a global economy. For more information visit the OCED office in the Student Union.

Campus Activities: UNLV provides opportunities for students to participate in the life of the campus through events, traditions, and celebrations. A student planning committee, the Rebel Events Board, coordinates major events such as PREMIER UNLV, Homecoming,  Rebels After Dark, movie and open mic nights, and other special events.

Fraternity and Sorority Life: There are 37 Greek letter social fraternities and sororities at UNLV. Greek organizations emphasize leadership development and philanthropic opportunities that further Greek traditions and ideals. Chapters belong to one of four governing councils: Multicultural Greek Council, National Pan-Hellenic Council, Interfraternity Council, and the Panhellenic Council.

Multicultural Programs: Provide an opportunity for students to explore cultural identity in a safe and inclusive environment. Multicultural Programs encourages and promotes social and academic integration of the underrepresented students. Programs include Cultural Leadership Retreat, Heritage Month Celebrations, and monthly educational programs.

Service Programs: Service work is a great way for students to make a meaningful contribution to the community.  UNLV Volunteers is a student organization that coordinates service opportunities in the areas of homelessness, hunger, the environment, health, education and more. Alternate Break Trips planned on weekends and during academic breaks allow you to travel regionally to engage in service.

Center for Social Justice: Located in the Housels House, the CSJ serves as a resource for students, staff, faculty , and community members to unite around, educate about, and advocate against social injustices that affect the campus, local, national, and global communities. The Rebel Advocates are a group of student peer educators that facilitate dialogs related to social justice.

International Student Programs: Provides and markets opportunities for international and domestic students to participate in social, educational, and cultural programming that builds both an educational and a supportive network. These programs include International Education Week, Festival of Communities, the Global Leadership Retreat and numerous other experiences.

Student Organizations: There are more than 250 recognized student organizations at UNLV, representing a wide variety of opportunities to get to know other students and to further explore your interests. Information on these organizations and resources for existing organizations can be found in the Student Organization Resource Center (SORCE) on the third floor of the Student Union or log into myUNLV and click on the Involvement Center.

Office of Student Conduct

^ Top

The Office of Student Conduct (OSC) collaborates with the UNLV community to provide an inclusive system through enforcement of the UNLV Student Conduct Code by:

• Promoting awareness of student rights and responsibilities;
• Establishing accountability for student choices;
• Creating opportunities for involvement in the process; and
• Striving to uphold the values and ethics that advance the common good.

Students’ rights and responsibilities are outlined in the UNLV Student Conduct Code which governs student behavior on campus. Each student is expected to become familiar with the expectations outlined in the Code. Based on the premise that all students share responsibility for creating a safe and supportive learning environment, the Code outlines procedures for disciplinary action against a student who violates the provisions of the Code. Copies of the Student Conduct Code are available in the office of the Vice President for Student Affairs (FDH 514) and in the Office of Student Conduct (Central Desert Complex, Bldg. #1).

The Office of Students Conduct has responsibility for implementing the Code’s provisions and creating educational interventions that assist students in meeting their responsibilities as members of the university community. This office may be reached by calling 702-895-2308.

Center for Academic Enrichment and Outreach

^ Top

The mission of the Center for Academic Enrichment and Outreach (The Center) is to provide traditional and innovative educational opportunities to  a diverse community through targeted services and research that promote personal success. The Center helps middle school, high school, and college students from low-income families (and from families where neither parent nor guardian has graduated from a four-year institution) access and graduate from institutions of higher learning. The Center’s purpose, then, is to introduce higher education as an option to populations that have been traditionally underrepresented in postsecondary education because of class, social, physical, and cultural barriers.

The Center offers the following services: academic advising, tutoring, instruction in developmental courses (math, science, English, writing, reading comprehension, and English as a second language), assistance with college admissions and financial aid/scholarship applications, counseling on college-adjustment issues, school decisions and admissions, personal counseling, and referrals to other campus and community resources. The Center houses 16 federally funded TRIO programs (Ronald E. McNair Scholars Institute, three Student Support Services programs, two Upward Bound Math and Science programs, three classic Upward Bound programs, four Educational Talent Search programs,  Educational Opportunity Center and two TRiO training projects), as well as three federally funded GEAR UP programs. Other initiatives within The Center include the Family Support Services, Parents Educational program, Mentor and Volunteer program, Summer Food Nutrition program, and Summer Youth Employment program.

Ronald E. McNair Scholars Institute (McNair) is committed to helping diversify the ranks of American faculty and of research institutions by encouraging undergraduate students who are members of underrepresented groups to pursue doctoral studies and consider faculty careers. Students who participate in this program are provided with research opportunities, faculty mentors, stipends, and publication opportunities.

Student Support Services (SSS) assists college students with overcoming personal concerns, academic deficiencies, and financial difficulties that could impair their chances of succeeding in college. It provides students with the necessary tools to develop life skills that aid in increasing retention and graduation rates and to adjust to the demands of the campus environment. Participants, who include disabled college students, receive individualized tutoring, guidance and counseling, financial aid assistance, remedial instruction, GRE/GMAT preparation assistance, and career exploration assistance.

Upward Bound (UB) and Upward Bound Math & Science (UBMS) help high school students prepare for higher education. Qualified participants receive instruction in literature, composition, and foreign languages, while maintaining a heavy focus on mathematics and science. The program has two components: academic year and summer residential. During the academic year component, participants attend classes and workshops at the UNLV campus, where they also receive academic and career counseling, tutoring, financial aid assistance, and college admission information. During the summer residential program, students live in the UNLV residence halls, obtain first-hand experience of being college students, participate in activities that promote educational and cultural enrichment, and receive regular program services.

Educational Talent Search (ETS) serves students in Grades 6 through 12 by providing academic advising/counseling, financial management, admissions requirements, and assistance with various student financial aid programs.

Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) assists qualified individuals 19 years of age and older to pursue postsecondary education. EOC assists qualified participants with choosing a career path and appropriate education channels as well as encourages high school dropouts to return to high school or obtain a GED (General Education Diploma). The goal of EOC is to increase the number of adult participants who enroll in postsecondary education institutions.

TRiO Training Institute provides professional development seminars for TRiO professionals from projects across the nation. Participants receive instruction regarding TRiO regulations and budget management, as well as workshops on assisting TRiO participants with college admission and the financial aid application process.

GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) focuses on providing intense and intrusive services to entire grade levels of Clark County’s poorest schools. The GEAR UP cohort model allows CAEO to serve more than 20,000 students, their parents, their school and their community. Services include instructional enhancements, after-school programming, teacher professional development, volunteer and mentor services, tutoring, skill-building workshops, parental workshops, a speakers’ bureau, and much more.

In addition to providing direct services to participants, The Center conducts, contributes, and sponsors academic research aimed at enhancing the body of knowledge that supports the improvement of retention and academic attainment rates of the disadvantaged and underrepresented populations. The Center’s objective is to increase the enrollment, retention and graduation rates of individuals who come from disadvantaged and underrepresented backgrounds. GEAR UP and TRIO programs at The Center are federally funded through the U.S. Department of Education. All services provided through The Center are FREE to those who qualify. The Center’s offices are located in the Student Services Complex, Room 301, and at 1455 E. Tropicana Ave., Suite 400.

UNLV Department of Police Services

^ Top

The Department of Police Services is divided into three units: the Police Patrol & Investigations Unit, the Police Records & Administration Unit, and the Police Communications & Dispatch Unit (Student Security Services is a part of this unit). All are service-oriented and provide a resource to the university community. The Police & Investigations Unit provides police services to the university 24 hours a day, 365 days per year. All officers are P.O.S.T. (Peace Officer Standards & Training) certified by the State of Nevada as Category 1 Police Officers and have the same authority as Las Vegas Metro officers in their respective jurisdictions. Police Officers are available for emergency assistance by calling 911. University Police provide other services including crime prevention presentations, bicycle & laptop computer registrations, ride-along, crime prevention forums called “Rebel Round-tables”, “during fall and spring semesters” welfare checks, background investigations, security surveys, and special-event security for campus events. To inquire about any of these services please call 702-895-3668. The Police & Investigations Unit also registers and maintains a registry of all sex offenders enrolled as students or working as employees of the university. The list can be viewed at  http://police.unlv.edu/policies/sexual-offender.html. When necessary this list is used to warn the campus community and surrounding businesses of the presence of sex offenders within the campus community.

The Police Records and Administration Unit provides support services for the department and the university community. Several services are available to the campus community through this unit including: police report copy services, fingerprinting services, and lost & found services. To inquire about report copy and fingerprinting services please call 702-895-4747. Report copy services are available for a fee Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fingerprinting services are also available for a fee Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Lost and found services are based on employee availability and interested individuals should call 702-895-5795 in advance to make an appointment. The Police Records Office is also responsible for distributing the annual campus safety & security report, daily crime log and timely warnings to the campus to keep community members informed of any criminal activity on the campus. The most recent campus safety & security report or “Jeanne Clery” Report is available on the Internet at police.unlv.edu/policies/campus-report.html. The daily crime log can also be viewed on the Internet at police.unlv.edu/policies/crime-log.html. Timely warnings and crime alerts are circulated to the campus community as necessary via e-mails, intercampus mailings and posted flyers.

The Police Communications & Dispatch Unit provides a 24-hour emergency communications center for the UNLV Police Department that is open 365 days a year. In addition to providing this service the unit also provides the following services to the university community: campus emergency call boxes, alarm-monitoring capability, notary services and student security services. Notary services are based on employee availability. Student Security Services personnel are uniformed student employees who carry police radios and act as eyes and ears for the campus police. Suspicious activity is reported to campus police, but no intervening measures are taken by these students, who are not police officers. The Student Security Services Unit also provides a safety escort service to the campus community. Students studying late who wish to be escorted to their residence hall or vehicle need only call 702-895-3668, and a Student Security Services team will respond to escort them where they want to go (based on availability). In addition, Police Services works in cooperation with the UNLV Department of Parking & Transportation Services to provide vehicle assistance (jump starts and tire inflation) for stranded vehicles on campus during the off-hours when Parking Services is closed. If you need assistance with your vehicle please call the Parking Services Division at 702-895-1300; or if after hours, call Police Dispatch at 702-895-3668.

The Department of Police Services has expanded its operations and administration headquarters to three locations. The Police Communications & Dispatch Unit and Student Security Services are located on the main UNLV campus at the Claude I. Howard Public Safety Building located on Harmon Avenue, across the street from the Environmental Protection Agency complex and west of the Lied Library Building. The UNLV Police Headquarters Building is located just off the main campus at 1325 East Harmon Avenue east of the corner of Maryland Parkway and Harmon Avenue (directly behind the Carl’s Jr.) The Police Headquarters Building is home to the Police Records and Administration Unit’s operations. UNLV Police Services also has a police facility on the UNLV Shadow Lane Campus in the Shadow Lane Campus Services Building (Building C). This facility houses UNLV Police Services’ Shadow Lane police patrol.
UNLV Police Services manages an emergency notification system (E.N.S.), which is intended to provide all members of the campus community (faculty, staff and students) with messages regarding imminent or on-going emergencies via personal cell phones, university cell phones, personal e-mails and university e-mails. Enrollment in the system is completely voluntary and absolutely free “done through an ‘opt out’ system where all faculty, staff, and students are enrolled in the system from the moment they become part of the UNLV community. Automatic enrollment is only for university e-mail accounts, so anyone interested in receive text and/or voice messages will have to add these contacts to the system. To register with add or update contact information to UNLV’s E.N.S. simply go to the front page of the UNLV website at http://www.unlv.edu and scroll down the directory menu on the left in order to click on “Emergency Notification System”, or you can go directly to  http://go.unlv.edu/safety/ens. Once you have arrived on UNLV’s emergency notification page you will have a brief overview of the system and be able to login & register. In order to register with the system you will have to provide your UNLV e-mail address as verification of your status as a campus community member. If you wish to remove yourself from the E.N.S. you may do so by contacting Assistant Chief Sandy Seda at 702-895-5046.
In the case of an immediate emergency or crime in progress, please call 911. You should know that dialing 911 from any campus phone will put you in direct communication with UNLV Police Dispatchers (not Metro). This system enhances UNLV Police response times thereby providing more immediate police services to the university community. For all non-emergency reports of crime on campus please call the UNLV Police Department at one of its non-emergency numbers (311 or 895-3668).

Student Health Services

^ Top

The Student Health Center is open Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Friday from 98 a.m. to 5 p.m. The semester health fee allows registered and enrolled students to utilize the center without the added burden of paying an office visit co-pay. Services are available to students through same-day appointments; just call to schedule a reservation. Specialty clinics require a pre-scheduled appointment, so be sure to call ahead. The health center is staffed with physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, registered nurses, and support staff to provide essential wellness and medical services on an outpatient basis. We are located within the Student Recreation and Wellness Center on the south side of campus.
Services include:

  1. Treatment of minor illnesses and injury.
  2. Early detection and referral of chronic illness or coordination of ongoing care.
  3. Immediate first aid and blood pressure checks. 
  4. Screening tests for hearing and vision.
  5. Evaluation of allergies, referral for initial antigen treatment, and continuation of allergy antigen injections.
  6. Pregnancy testing and provision of contraception.
  7. Screening exam and testing for sexually transmitted diseases, free HIV testing, and acute management of sexual abuse/assault.
  8. Evaluation, assistance, and referral for substance abuse and eating disorders.
  9. Low-cost and free lab tests available through our licensed lab with a licensed practitioner’s order.
  10. Standard prescription and non-prescription medications available through our licensed pharmacy.
  11. Free health information and health education programs.
  12. Evaluation by specialists: sports medicine, dermatology and gynecology.
  13. For services not available on campus, referral lists to community physicians and services are available.

ALL MEDICAL RECORDS ARE CONFIDENTIAL. Information will not be released to anyone without the written consent of the student except as provided by law or in the case of life-threatening emergency. Students under the age of 18, by Nevada state law, are minors and must have a signed, notarized parental consent and release for medical care on file at the Student Health Center prior to care being given. These forms are available on-line at http://studentlife.unlv.edu/shc/.

Student Health Fee: The mandatory health fee is a program fee that supports the various services offered by the Student Wellness Cluster. These services not only support the mental health and medical facility on campus but also include wellness education and immunization programs.

Student Health Insurance: Is offered to UNLV undergraduate students admitted to a sponsored UNLV program and registered for six or more credit hours, and graduate students admitted and registered for three or more credit hours. Students must maintain the minimum credit hours in order to remain eligible. Optional dental coverage and vision insurance may also be purchased. All F-1 UNLV international students are REQUIRED to purchase UNLV health insurance. International students are automatically charged health insurance fees when they register for classes.

Mandatory Immunization Requirement: The state of Nevada follows the guidelines of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Service Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (APIC). Nevada Administrative Code 441A.755 states that a person shall not attend a college or university in this state without proof of immunity to tetanus, diphtheria, measles, mumps, rubella and any other disease specified by the state Board of Health unless excused because of religious belief or medical condition. Additionally, a student enrolled as a freshman of a Nevada university or college and is less and 23 years of age may not reside in an on-campus housing facility without proof of immunity to or vaccination against Neisseria Meningitidis.

Student Counseling & Psychological Services

^ Top


Pursuing a university education can be exciting and challenging. It can also be highly stressful since social and personal concerns can interfere with students’ academic work and emotional well-being. Student Counseling and Psychological Services is committed to helping students benefit fully from their college experience at UNLV. Our psychologists, counselors, and psychiatrist specialize in dealing with the problems commonly experienced by college students of all ages and backgrounds. We collaborate with students to increase self-understanding and develop the skills necessary to overcome personal concerns.

Confidential services offered to assist students manage the adjustment demands and personal challenges of college include:

  • Individual counseling
  • Group Counseling
  • Couples counseling (At least one member of the couple must be a currently enrolled UNLV student.)
  • Crisis assessment and intervention
  • Psychological assessment and testing.
  • Drug and alcohol use assessment.
  • Medication evaluation and management
  • Referrals to community health care providers when the student’s needs cannot be adequately provided for within the limits of a short-term therapy approach.
  • Educational workshops and presentations.
  • Consultation to members of the campus community (faculty, staff, and students).

All currently enrolled UNLV students who paid their Student Health Fee are eligible for confidential counseling services. Please call us at 895-3627 to schedule an initial intake appointment. Our office hours are Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Fridays from 9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. For situations that need immediate attention, a crisis counselor is available during operating hours.
Our services are provided free of charge, except for certain psychological testing and cost of medication. We are located on the third floor of the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. For more information, call us at 895-3627 or visit our website at http://www.unlv.edu/srwc/caps

Rebel Wellness Zone (RWZ) - Wellness Promotion

Phone: 702-895-4400
Location: 2nd Floor SRWC
The  Rebel Welness Zone is your wellness and recreation resource on campus. Our programs and services enhance the collegiate experience and encourage lifelong personal wellness. It’s a place for you to relax, recharge and learn to help a friend and yourself! The RWZ and Wellness Promotion staff offer a safe space for GLBTQIA and students in recovery. Programs and services offered via the RWZ include:

The Jean Nidetch Women’s Center

^ Top

Phone: 702-895-4475
Fax: 702-895-0601

The Jean Nidetch Women’s Center is a resource center committed to meeting the diverse needs of the UNLV campus community by providing programs and services to educate, support, motivate, and empower lives. With an emphasis on women’s concerns, the Women’s Center promotes self-awareness and self-sufficiency, equity, and an understanding of the evolving roles of men and women. It provides a safe and comfortable atmosphere for people to network, build community, and reflect the diversity of the UNLV campus community.
Our programs and services are:

  • • Workshops and seminars—We offer a variety of workshops on topics including the promotion of non-violence, women’s health, advocacy against domestic violence, and sexual-assault prevention.
    • Special events—Special events such as “Take Back the Night” as well as guest speakers and activities sponsored in conjunction with campus and community groups are ongoing.
    • Internships, practicum and projects—Undergraduate and graduate students are encouraged to explore applying theory to practice through their respective academic discipline. Projects, internships and special events are opportunities for students to get involved and advance their academic goals.
    • We have a lactation room on site for mom’s who would like to breastfeed or pump.

All students are welcome to visit the JNWC on the second floor of the Student Service Complex, Room #255 (located directly behind the Cox Pavilion).

Student Activities and Organizations

^ Top

Student Organization Resource Center

The Student Organization Resource Center assists students seeking information on how to get involved on campus. They provide contacts for the more than 200 recognized student organizations at UNLV and information on upcoming campus events and activities. Students involved in organizations will find resources to support marketing and event implementation as well as computers and printers for student organization business. Student organization funding sources and monthly educational workshops for student organizations and their advisors are also provided.

The Rebel Yell, 702-895-1512: The campus newspaper is produced and edited entirely by students, reflects student viewpoints and provides a learning experience for all interested students. The newspaper is distributed free on campus two times a week and can be viewed online at http://unlvrebelyell.com/

KUNV, 91.5 FM, 702-798-9169: KUNV is the nonprofit, broadcast service of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. The radio station offers quality cultural, informational, and entertainment programming to the Las Vegas community, and provides educational opportunities for students pursuing careers in the broadcast field. Internships, independent study and volunteer work can be arranged directly with KUNV or through the Journalism and Media Studies program in the Greenspun College of Urban Affairs.

Student Government (CSUN)
702-895-3645, www.unlvcsun.com: All undergraduate students are automatically members of the Consolidated Students of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (CSUN) upon paying their fees and tuition. CSUN is made up of three branches:

  • Executive Branch (President, Vice President, Senate President, Vice President Pro-Tempore, Senate President Pro-Tempore, and eight Directors).
  • Legislative Branch (25 Senators representing each undergraduate college).
  • Judicial Branch (nine Justices appointed to two-year terms).

All officers are elected by the student body and most serve one-year terms. CSUN has many boards and committees available for students to get involved; visit their main office in the Student Union for details and applications. Copies of the CSUN Constitution and all CSUN meeting agendas are available on their website and various locations around campus.

The goal of CSUN is to enhance the students’ college experience by offering needed services, desired programs, leadership opportunities, exciting entertainment, and enriching lectures. Most importantly, the primary focus is to serve as representative of the students to the university administration and the local, state, and community governments.

Executive Branch
The Executive Branch oversees all of the actions of CSUN. The members are elected by the student body at the general election in April, and the newly elected officers serve a one-year term beginning May 1.

The Executive Branch appoints eight Directors to assist with the responsibility of various activities, such as entertainment & programming, campus life, student information, CSUN services, elections, Nevada student affairs, publications, and marketing. Directors have their own board composed of undergraduate students who help decide and carry out the mission of CSUN.

A Volunteer Board has been created for students who want to help out with just a few of the events each year.

Legislative Branch
The Legislative Branch (the Senate) is made up of 25 undergraduate students elected from each of the 11 colleges on campus. Senate elections are held in October and the newly elected Senators serve one-year terms beginning and ending Nov. 1.
Below is the apportionment for UNLV


4 Senators


2 Senators


2 Senators

Fine Arts

2 Senators

Health Science

1 Senator

Hotel Administration

3 Senators

Liberal Arts

3 Senators


1 Senator


2 Senators

Urban Affairs

2 Senators

University College

3 Senators

The following is a list of Senate committees and their areas of responsibility. Each committee is composed entirely of CSUN Senators:

  • Ways and Means (prepares the annual CSUN budget)
  • Campus Safety and Awareness (works with Police Services to advocate safety issues on campus)
  • Constitutional Revisions and Statutes (revises the CSUN Constitution)
  • Bylaws (revises the Senate bylaws)
  • Rules and Ethics (adjudicates violations of CSUN and University Codes brought against CSUN Student Government members)
  • Scholarship (collects applications and selects recipients of CSUN scholarships including the Tom Wiesner, pre-professional, leadership, head start, CSUN, and student teaching scholarships)

Judicial Council
The Judicial Council is an autonomous branch of Student Government and is responsible for interpreting the CSUN Constitution to determine the legality of any actions taken. Judicial Council members are undergraduate students nominated by the Executive Board and confirmed by the Senate to serve a two-year term from the date of their appointment. The council is chaired by the Chief Justice and is composed of nine members.

CSUN assumes responsibility for recognizing student organizations each semester. These student clubs and organizations supplement intellectual and social development at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

Honors, Awards, and Scholarships
Nevada Centennial Medallion Award: A silver medallion is presented each year to the graduating senior who achieved the highest four-year scholastic record at the university. The first medallion, representing the state’s 100th birthday, was awarded June 3, 1964, to a senior in UNLV’s first graduating class. The last of 101 medallions made available by the Rotary Club of Las Vegas will be presented in the year 2064 on Nevada’s bicentennial anniversary. A plaque listing all the recipients hangs in the library.

Phi Kappa Phi Medallion: Graduating seniors who have been initiated into UNLV’s chapter of Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society are presented with bronze medallions hung on a blue cord to wear over the gown at commencement. Each year UNLV’s chapter of Phi Kappa Phi invites to membership the top members of the senior and junior class in all academic disciplines.

College of Business
Phi Gamma Nu Award. Presented to the graduating senior with the highest grade point average.
Wall Street Journal Student Achievement Award. Given to an outstanding business student.

College of Education
Lilly Fong Outstanding Student Teacher Award. Presented to an outstanding senior completing student teaching.
Science and Art Technology. Presented to an undergraduate or graduate seeking initial licensure with a science or art education major.
Evelyn Semling Endowment. Presented to sophomores, juniors, and seniors in undergraduate programs in elementary education.

College of Fine Arts
Colonel Koch Award. Presented to an outstanding art student.
Outstanding Achievement in Art Award
Outstanding Choreographer Award in Dance
Outstanding Graduating Music Student Awards
Outstanding Performer Award in Dance
Outstanding Scholar Award in Dance
Outstanding Theatre Arts Senior Award

Division of Health Sciences
E.R. Squibb and Sons Award. Presented for outstanding achievement in nuclear medicine and radiological sciences.
Outstanding Student Awards in Nursing. The Clark County Medical Society Auxiliary presents awards to outstanding students in the baccalaureate degree programs.

School of Nursing
Outstanding Student Awards in Nursing. The Clark County Medical Society Auxiliary presents awards to outstanding students in the degree programs.
Mary Lou Loveday Endowed Memorial Scholarship: Memorial scholarship offered to a full-time student with children at home.
Maria Tiberti Nursing Scholarship: Awarded by the Tiberti Foundation to a full-time prenursing or nursing student.
Alfred and Marjorie Rappaport Foundation: Awarded by Lahr Foundation to full-time undergraduate and graduate students.
Harry and Rebecca Lahr Scholarship: Awarded by Lahr Foundation to full-time undergraduate and graduate students.

College of Hotel Administration, William F. Harrah
Merit Award of American Hotel Foundation. Presented for meritorious achievement to a finalist in nationwide competition for the Arthur J. Packard Memorial Scholarship.
Outstanding Achievement in Hotel Accounting. Presented to a hotel student showing superior academic achievement overall and in accounting by the Las Vegas chapter of the International Association of Hotel/Motel Accountants.

College of Liberal Arts
Academic Merit Scholarship. Awarded to graduating sociology student holding the highest GPA.
Audre Lorde Award for the Outstanding Student in Gender and Sexuality Studies. Established to honor a graduating Gender and Sexuality Studies major who has demonstrated outstanding scholarship, service, and activism within the field of Gender and Sexuality Studies.
Award for Excellence in Philosophy. Given to a junior or senior majoring or minoring in philosophy, based on a paper submitted in an annual competition.
C. Wright Mills Student Award. Awarded to an outstanding graduating senior in sociology.
John S. Wright Award. Given for best graduating history major.
Joseph A. (Andy) Fry Award. History award given for the best senior capstone paper.
Maura Kaufman Award. Presented to an outstanding student majoring in English.
Ralph Roske Award. Given for best beginning history major.
Outstanding Student in Psychology. Presented to the outstanding senior in psychology.
Psi Chi Distinguished Service Award. Presented to a graduating senior for outstanding service contributions.
Sidney Green Award. Awarded to an outstanding junior in sociology.
Undergraduate Research Award. Presented to seniors in psychology for outstanding achievements in research.
VISTA Award. Awarded to an outstanding graduating senior in the College of Liberal Arts.
C. Wright Mills Student Award. Awarded to an outstanding graduating senior in sociology.

College of Sciences
American Institute of Chemists Student Award. Given to an outstanding senior in chemistry
American Chemical Society Undergraduate Award in Analytical Chemistry
American Chemical Society Undergraduate Award in Organic and Polymer Chemistry
Anne Wyman Mineralogy Award
Boulder Dam Section of the American Chemical Society. Given to an outstanding chemistry student
Bradley/Dill Award. Awarded to outstanding students in biological sciences
Chemical Rubber Company Chemistry Achievement Award. Presented to an outstanding freshman chemistry student
Chemistry Department Awards for Achievement in General Chemistry
Clark County Gem Collectors, Inc. Presented to outstanding geology students
Geological Society of Nevada Scholarship
Outstanding Graduating Senior in Mathematics Award
Outstanding Beginning Physics Student Award
Ronald L. Lynn Award. Given for outstanding service to the geoscience department
Terry Evans Memorial Award. Given to exceptional students in aquatic biology

College of Urban Affairs, Greenspun

Outstanding Student of the Year in the Department of Social Work

^ Top