Dec 09, 2019
English Major- Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Please see the UNLV English Department web page at http://english.unlv.edu for information about department programs, faculty and facilities.
Please see advising information at the UNLV Wilson Advising Center at http://liberalarts.unlv.edu/WAC/.
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org
- Demonstrate familiarity with major authors, works, genres, and movements in British and American literature.
- Demonstrate the ability to read, write, and think critically.
- Demonstrate an understanding of English language and linguistics.
- Demonstrate knowledge of theoretical and critical methods.
- Demonstrate knowledge of multi-ethnic American literature.
University Graduation Requirements
English Degree Requirements - Total: 120 Credits
General Education Requirements - Subtotal: 35-40
First-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
English Composition - Credits: 6
Second-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
Constitutions - Credits: 3-6
Distribution Requirement - Credits: 18-19
Please see Distribution Requirements for more information.
- Humanities and Fine Arts: 9 credits
- Automatically satisfied by Major requirements
- Social Science: 9 credits
- Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking: 9-10 credits
Multicultural and International
(see note 1 below)
Multicultural, one 3 credit course required
International, one 3 credit course required
These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. A single course may not meet the multicultural and international requirements simultaneously. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: http://facultysenate.unlv.edu/students
Major Requirements - English Major - Subtotal: 60
Foreign Language - Credits: 9
Humanities (included in Foreign Language)
Fine Arts - Credits: 6
English Electives - Credits: 24
Eight 400-level courses. Must include at least two courses in literature prior to 1800 and one course in multi-ethnic literatures.
Electives - Credits: 22-24
English Major: Creative Writing Concentration
English majors may earn a Concentration in Creative Writing by completing the following 9 credits as part of their degree:
English Major: Professional Writing Concentration
English majors may earn a Concentration in Professional Writing by completing the following 12 credits as part of their degree:
- English courses already approved to satisfy the multicultural requirement include: , , , , , , , ENG 496B and ENG 496C .
- and (or their equivalents) are prerequisites for all English courses except creative writing courses.