Jan 28, 2020
Athletic Training Major- Bachelor of Science (BS)
Please see the UNLV School of Allied Health Sciences web page at www.alliedhelath.unlv.edu for information about department programs, faculty and facilities.
Please see advising information at the UNLV Division of Health Sciences Academic Advising Center at alliedhealth.unlv.edu/advising.htm.
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org
Program - Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education www.caate.net
- Understand evidence-based practice concepts and their application.
- Possess the ability to develop and implement strategies and programs to prevent the incidence and/or severity of injuries and illnesses, optimizing overall patient health and quality of life.
- Possess strong clinical examination and reasoning skills, based on an understanding of anatomy, physiology, and biomechanics allowing them to accurately formulate a differential diagnosis.
- Knowledgeable and skilled in the evaluation and immediate management of acute illnesses and injuries.
- Knowledgeable and skilled in the development and implementation of therapeutic interventions designed to maximize a patients participation and health-related quality of life.
- Recognize abnormal social, emotional and mental behaviors in their patients and possess the ability to intervene and refer these individuals as necessary.
- Understand risk management, health care delivery mechanisms, insurance, reimbursement, documentation, patient privacy, and facility management.
- Embrace the need to practice within the limits of state and national regulation using moral and ethical judgment, while working collaboratively with other health care providers, referring patients appropriately when such referral is warranted.
University Graduation Requirements
Athletic Training Degree Requirements - Total: 120-121 Credits
General Education Requirements - Subtotal: 36-37 Credits
First-Year Seminar - Credits: 2-3
English Composition - Credits: 6
Second-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
Constitutions - Credits: 4
Mathematics - Credits: 3
Distribution Requirement - Credits:18
Please see Distribution Requirements for more information.
- Humanities and Fine Arts: 9 Credits
- COM 101 - Oral Communication
- One additional humanities course
- One course in fine arts- 3 credits
- Social Science: 9 Credits
- PSY 101 - General Psychology required
- SOC 101 - Principles of Sociology recommended
- One additional Social Science course
- Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking:
- Automatically satisfied by Major requirements
Multicultural and International
Multicultural, one 3 credit course required
International, one 3 credit course required
These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. A single course may not meet the multicultural and international requirements simultaneously. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: http://facultysenate.unlv.edu/students
Major Requirements - BS in Athletic Training - Subtotal: 84 Credits