May 29, 2022
Individuals who already have a graduate degree in nursing and meet the admission qualifications will be allowed to take courses as an advanced graduate certificate-seeking student. A certificate will be awarded, documenting completion of the course work will be provided and transcripts showing completion of the courses will be available. Each individual applicant will be evaluated to determine the courses required in order to complete the specific certificate program. Additional courses beyond the minimum courses needed for the certificate program may be required if the applicant’s earned graduate degree in nursing lacks courses required by the UNLV School of Nursing.
For more information about your program, including your graduate program handbook and learning outcomes, please visit the Degrees Directory.
View Certificate Disclaimer.
Plan Admission Requirements
Applications available on the UNLV Graduate College website.
All applicants must review and follow the Graduate College Admission and Registration Requirements.
Students must apply and submit all admission materials via the Grad Rebel Gateway system available through the Graduate College.
The following items are required:
- Official transcripts of all course work for both baccalaureate and graduate degrees must be sent to the School of Nursing and Graduate College. Transcripts must show coursework in Advanced Physical Assessment, Advanced Pathophysiology, and Advanced Pharmacology. Additionally, if unofﬁcial transcripts are available to the student, please upload to the Grad Rebel Gateway application. Nursing course work must have been completed at a nursing program accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission or Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
- Three letters of recommendation from either instructors or employers that speak to the applicant’s potential to complete the Advanced Graduate Certiﬁcate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Program.
- Current resume or curriculum vitae (CV).
- Current valid unencumbered and unrestricted RN license in state of residence.
- Statement of 300 words describing the students’ professional goals and reason for seeking a nurse practitioner certiﬁcate.
- Interviews may be required.
- All applicants must review and follow the Graduate College Admission and Registration Requirements.
Seat Holding Fee: A one-time, non-refundable deposit of $500is required as a seat holding fee. This deposit will be credited towards tuition costs once admissions acceptance has been completed.
Students are accepted into a certificate program as described in the Graduate Catalog. The faculty and corresponding sub-disciplines and sub-plans within the described programs are subject to change at any time.
Total Credits Required: 28
Required Courses – Credits: 28
Complete 28 credits by completing all of the following courses:
Completion of a minimum of 28 credits with a minimum GPA of 3.00.
Plan Certificate Completion Requirements
The student must submit all required forms to the Graduate College and then apply for graduation in MyUNLV by the appropriate deadline.
In Nevada, the educational prerequisites for professional licensure in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) are an active Nevada RN License, National Certiﬁcation as a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, and graduation from a nationally accredited Nursing Program with a minimum of 500+ hours of direct patient care. The Advanced Graduate Certiﬁcate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner does NOT currently satisfy those licensure and certiﬁcation requirements as this is a new program and a substantive program change form will be submitted to our accrediting body, the Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), when the program is implemented. In addition to Nevada, UNLV School of Nursing currently accepts applicants from select states.
Visit the Road to Rebel Nursing webpage (https://www. unlv.edu/nursing/prospective/roadmaps) to view a list of states.
UNLV School of Nursing has not made a determination with respect to the licensure requirements in any other state. As such, Advanced Graduate Certiﬁcate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner is not authorized in any other state in which the prospective or enrolled student resides. If you reside in a state other than Nevada or CCNE does not grant accreditation as anticipated, UNLV will refund the applicable application fee in accordance with its procedures. License requirements for other states are being explored. Please check the Graduate College Application Deadline page for current information about the Fall application.