Sep 27, 2023
Spanish Major - Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Please see the UNLV College of Liberal Arts, World Languages and Cultures web page at http://www.unlv.edu/wlc for information about department programs, faculty and facilities. Degree worksheets and 4/5 year plan for the major are available at https://www.unlv.edu/degree/ba-spanish.
Please see advising information at the UNLV Wilson Advising Center at https://www.unlv.edu/liberalarts/wac.
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org.
- Demonstrate the ability to master advanced grammar items and lexicon in Spanish.
- Need to prove a correct command of Spanish writing skills, with attention to stylistic detail in three modes: argumentative, narrative and descriptive
- Read and write analytically on cultural topics in Spanish.
The major program is a comprehensive degree that gives students a thorough preparation in language, literature, linguistics, Spanish for the professions, and culture. The language courses help students develop their writing and speaking skills. The culture courses introduce students to the art, history, politics, music and social trends of the major Spanish-speaking countries. The Spanish for the professions courses help students connect with clients, customers and patients. In the literature courses, students read major works by many different authors, improve their language and analytical skill and scan a whole spectrum of cultural and social issues.
University Graduation Requirements
- Please see Graduation Policies for complete information
Spanish Degree Requirements - Total: 120 Credits
General Education Requirements - Subtotal: 36-46 Credits
First-Year Seminar - Credits: 2-3
English Composition - Credits: 6
Second-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
Constitutions - Credits: 4-6
Distribution Requirement - Credits: 18-19
Please see Distribution Requirements for more information.
- Humanities and Fine Arts:
- Automatically satisfied by Major requirements
- Social Science - 9 credits
- One course each from three different fields
- Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking: 9-10 credits
- Two courses from life and physical sciences category; at least one must have a lab.
- Analytical Thinking - 3 credits
Multicultural and International (0-6 credits)
(See note 1 below)
Multicultural, one 3 credit course required
International, one 3 credit course required
These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. A single course may not meet the multicultural and international requirements simultaneously. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: http://facultysenate.unlv.edu/students
Major Degree Requirements - Spanish - Subtotal: 48 Credits
SPAN 302 - Credits: 3
Final grade of C+ or better
SPAN 315 or SPAN 317 - Credits: 3
SPAN 304, SPAN 312, SPAN 410, or SPAN 496 - Credits: 3
SPAN 341, SPAN 342, SPAN 343, or SPAN 344 - Credits: 3
SPAN 213, SPAN 214, SPAN 226, SPAN 227 - Credits: 0-6
Depending on original placement, up to 6 credits from this group may be used towards the major.
Should original placement be higher than 200-level, students will instead replace these courses with courses numbered SPAN 300 or higher.
General Electives - Credits: 26-36
1. Further 400-level courses can be substituted for 300-level with approval of the Director of Undergraduate Studies in Spanish.
2. Up to 6 credits taken in courses given in English (WLC) may be counted toward the major.
3. A minimum of 18 of the 36 credits MUST be taken at UNLV.