Jun 13, 2024  
2024-2025 Undergraduate Catalog 
2024-2025 Undergraduate Catalog

Credit Evaluation Policies

Credit Evaluation Policies

Freshmen and transfer applicants to the University of Nevada, Las Vegas may be awarded credit for previous college or university course work, certain nationally administered examinations, correspondence and extension work, and military service according to policies established by the university and the Board of Regents of the Nevada System of Higher Education. The policies are as indicated in this section.

Previous College or University Course Work:

Students who are transferring baccalaureate-level course work from regionally accredited institutions of higher education ordinarily will be granted credit for work completed that is equivalent to courses offered at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, or that can, upon petition, be applied to a degree in the general education core or as general elective credit. The amount of credit awarded is based upon university regulations and the guidelines below:

A. Regionally Accredited Institutions: To be granted credit, transfer course work must have been earned at an institution accredited by one of the eight regional accrediting associations listed below and recognized by the Council of Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), or they must have been earned at an institution that is a candidate for accreditation by one of these associations.

  1. Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) Western Association of Schools and Colleges
  2. Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
  3. Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
  4. New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE)
  5. Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
  6. Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
  7. WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)


B. Nationally Accredited Institutions: Generally, credits earned at nationally accredited institutions will not be accepted by UNLV. However, credits earned in specialized institutions offering associate or bachelor degrees that are accredited (or that are candidates for accreditation) by one of the six national accrediting associations listed below will be evaluated on an individual, course-by-course basis if requested by the student by means of petition to the specific academic department.

  1. Distance Education Accreditation Commission (DEAC)
  2. Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS)
  3. Association for Biblical Higher Education (ABHE)
  4. Association of Advanced Rabbinical and Talmudic Schools (AARTS)
  5. Association of Theological Schools The Commission on Accrediting (ATS)
  6. Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (TRACS) 

Transfer credit from any of the six CHEA-recognized nationally accredited institutions may be granted for courses that are comparable to those offered by UNLV or by other regionally accredited colleges and universities, provided the courses are relevant to the student’s academic program. A petition approved by the specific academic department is required to grant transfer credit from the above nationally accredited institutions. 

C. Transfer General Education Waiver for California IGETC & Breadth Certifications Policy

Students transferring from a regionally accredited community college or California State University (CSU) campus, with completion of the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or CSU Breadth requirements, certified on an official transcript on or after August 23, 2017, will have all UNLV General Education Core requirements waived, with the exception of the Nevada Constitutions requirement and the ENG 102 requirement (required for CSU Breadth certified students only). All transfer students must complete the Milestone and Culminating experiences designated for their majors.

Transfer students are strongly encouraged to review major program requirements in the UNLV Undergraduate Catalog and to consult with an academic advisor to understand how coursework completed for IGETC or CSU Breadth will satisfy major-specific lower-division requirements.

D. Unaccredited Institutions: Credits earned in U.S. institutions of higher education that are not accredited by one of the regional or national accrediting associations recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) are not accepted by the university. The policies permitting advanced course placement and the earning of credit for nontraditional learning (see Nontraditional Credit) provide adequate opportunities for the objective evaluation of knowledge acquired through a variety of learning experiences, including military schools.

E. Duplicate or excess credit is not counted toward a UNLV degree.

F. Transferable baccalaureate-level credit earned at a regionally accredited community or junior college may be applied toward a UNLV bachelor’s degree.

G. Although transferable credit may be awarded at the point of admission, there is no guarantee that all transferable course work will be applicable to every degree program. However, course work that is deemed transferable at the point of admission will, at a minimum, be eligible for general elective credit.