Dec 04, 2023
Landscape Architecture Major - Bachelor of Science (BLA)
Please see the UNLV College of Fine Arts - Department of Landscape Architecture web page at architecture.unlv.edu/landscape.html for information about department programs, faculty and facilities. Degree worksheets and 4/5 year plan for the major are available at https://www.unlv.edu/degree/blarch.
Please see advising information at the UNLV College of Fine Arts Advising Center at www.unlv.edu/finearts/advising.
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.or
Program - American Society of Landscape Architects www.asla.org/index.aspx
- Inquiry and Critical Thinking
- Upon completion of the Bachelor of Landscape Architecture degree program, students will be able to integrate design ideas derived from a critical approach to the research and analysis of multiple historical, technical, theoretical, social, political, economic, cultural and environmental contexts. An emphasis will be placed on the value of engaged scholarship and critical inquiry as means for determining appropriate design, management, and planning strategies in landscape architecture.
- Design Process and Implementation
- Upon completion of the Bachelor of Landscape Architecture degree program, students will be able to apply the design process as it relates to the professional practice of landscape architecture. An emphasis will be placed on the development of an iterative, critical, approach to designing at a variety of scales.
- Communication and Representation
- Upon completion of the Bachelor of Landscape Architecture degree program, students will demonstrate the ability to apply a wide range of communication methods to articulate landscape architecture design proposal
- Applied Technologies and Material Systems.
- Upon completion of the Bachelor of Landscape Architecture degree program, students will demonstrate the ability to apply a wide range of appropriate design tools, material systems, and technical applications.
- Upon completion of the Bachelor of Landscape Architecture degree program, students will be able to demonstrate the ability to work within larger collaborative systems.
- Leadership, Ethics, and Practice
- Graduates of the UNLV Landscape Architecture and Planning program will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the need to manage, advocate, and act legally, ethically and critically for the good of the client, society, and the environment.
University Graduation Requirements
Landscape Architecture Degree Requirements - Total: 123 Credits
The profession of landscape architecture embodies both the art and science of design, planning, and management of the land and the natural and man-made elements upon it. The program embraces creative, cultural, philosophical, and scientific knowledge bases as part of the educational requirements for a Bachelor of Landscape Architecture professional degree. The professional curriculum prepares students for areas of practice in landscape architecture and planning including site design, urban design, master planning, community planning, regional planning, and natural resource conservation.
General Education Requirements - Subtotal: 37-40 Credits
First-Year Seminar - Credits: 2-3
English Composition - Credits: 6
Second-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
Constitutions - Credits: 4-6
Distribution Requirements - Credits: 19
Please see Distribution Requirements for more information.
- Humanities and Fine Arts:
- Automatically satisfied by Major requirement
- Social Sciences: 9 credits
- One course each from three different fields
- Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking: 10 credits
Multicultural and International
Multicultural, one 3 credit course required
International, one 3 credit course required
These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. A single course may not meet the multicultural and international requirements simultaneously. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: http://facultysenate.unlv.edu/students
Major Requirements - Bachelor in Landscape Architecture - Subtotal: 84 Credits