Jul 20, 2024  
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog 

Academic Policies



Click on any of the following links for information:

It is the responsibility of each student to familiarize themselves with the information contained in the Catalog and comply with all policies, rules, regulations, and/or procedures relating to the University, their college and/or school, or their specific program. Each student must meet all relevant academic requirements before the University will grant a degree. Degree requirements are described in various sections of this Catalog.  Academic advisors and academic administrators are available to help a student understand and arrange to meet these requirements over their academic career. It is, however, the responsibility of the student to know what requirements must be met and for completing them.  At the end of your course of study, if the requirements for graduation have not been satisfied, the University will not award you a degree.

As stated in the General Information section, this Catalog does not create or constitute a contract, expressed or implied, between any applicant, student, or faculty member and the University.  



Statement on Diversity in the University Community


As an institution of higher learning, UNLV represents a rich diversity of human beings among its faculty, staff, and students, and is committed to aspiring to maintain a Campus environment that values that diversity. Accordingly, the University supports understanding and appreciation of all members of its community, regardless of race, sex, age, color, national origin, ethnicity, creed, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, veteran status, or political affiliation. Please see the University Statements and Compliance page (https://www.unlv.edu/about/statements-compliance).



Student Classification


Degree-Seeking Student (Regular): Any person, subject to review and approval by the University, may be admitted into an undergraduate degree program for the purpose of attaining an accredited baccalaureate degree. 

Non-Degree Seeking Student: Any person may apply as a non-degree seeking student for purposes of personal enrichment and/or professional development. A maximum of 24 credits earned while a non-degree seeking student may be applied toward a baccalaureate degree. International students may not receive an I-20 form to maintain F-1 visa status by enrolling as a non-degree student.

Student Standing: Student standing is determined by the number of semester hours a student has completed. The hours required for each classification appear below:

  • Freshman 29 or fewer credits
  • Sophomore 30-59
  • Junior 60-89
  • Senior 90 or more credits





Students are expected to complete registration activity online through MyUNLV.  MyUNLV also includes registration instructions and the class schedule. Each student must complete registration during the registration period, as specified on the academic calendar. Registration is not considered complete until all tuition and fees have been paid. Go to https://www.unlv.edu/registrar/registration for more info. 

Unit of Credit: The unit of credit is the semester hour. One semester hour is generally defined as one hour of faculty instruction plus two hours of out-of-class student work per week for a 15-week semester. Two or three laboratory hours per week, depending on the amount of outside preparation required, usually carry the same credit as one lecture semester hour. Certain courses (e.g., studio courses) may require more or less in-class time than lecture-based courses, but the overall amount of time spent must be three hours per week for each unit of credit regardless of the mode of instruction (e.g., face-to-face, online, hybrid). Departments and colleges are responsible for monitoring their class schedules each semester to ensure that their offerings meet appropriate minimums for instructional time, as defined by this policy and by prevailing standards in their academic disciplines.

Credit Hours of Enrollment Per Semester (Credit Load)

  • Full-time - 12 or more credits
  • Three-quarter-time – 9-11 credits
  • Half-Time - 6-8 credits
  • Below Half-time - 5 credits or less.

For summer semester, credit hours of enrollment are evaluated comprehensively.

Students who will claim veterans’ educational benefits should check with the Military and Veteran Services Center at https://unlv.edu/veterans for information on how their enrollment status is reported to the VA.

Maximum Credit Hours of Enrollment:  For undergraduate degree-seeking, the maximum credits allowed during a fall or spring semester are 17 for freshmen level and 18 for sophomore, junior, and senior levels.

Undergraduate non-degree seeking students are limited to a maximum of 8 credits per semester with the exception of those students enrolled in UNLV-affiliated study abroad programs, in which case the maximum is 18 credits per semester.

The dean of a college or the Faculty Senate Academic Standards Committee may reduce the maximum credits allowed for a student’s registration to less than the normal maximum credit hours if the student failed to earn credit in any course the previous semester. Late registrants may also be subject to credit limitations.

Credit Hours for International Students: An international student is required to register for and complete a full credit load (12 credits for undergraduates, nine (9) credits for graduate students, and six (6) for graduate assistants) each fall and spring semester to maintain their legal status as F-1 visa students with the Department of Homeland Security. International students may use only three (3) credits of online coursework towards the full credit load minimum. Federal regulations governing the full course load requirement also apply to the summer semester if it is the student’s first semester at UNLV.

Summer Credit Hours: Each summer term has its own maximum credit hours limit: four (4) credits in term I and seven (7) credits each in term II and III.

Credit Overload for Any Semester: A student who wishes to register for more than the maximum credit hours of enrollment must have the approval of their academic advisor and dean.  A non-degree student seeking to enroll in more than eight (8) credits must have the approval of the Dean of the Academic Success Center.

A student may obtain the credit overload petition forms for any semester from academic department offices and be filed with the Office of the Registrar prior to registration.  Fall and spring petitions may also be submitted in person at the Office of the Registrar.

Prerequisites: Course prerequisites are conditions that must be met before a student can register for a particular course. Prerequisites may include successful completion of another course, a satisfactory test score, a particular standing (junior, senior, etc.), and/or having declared a particular major. Prerequisites can also include the condition that students have not exceeded a specific repeat limit for a particular course. Prerequisites are approved by the appropriate faculty curriculum committee and listed in the course catalog and class schedule before they take effect.

Corequisites: Course corequisites are conditions that need to be met during the same semester that a course is being taken. In most cases, the corequisite is a lab or a discussion section for a particular course.  A students should enroll in the corequisite, if one exists, at the same time they are enrolling in the course itself. Corequisites are approved by the appropriate faculty curriculum committee and listed in the course catalog and class schedule before they take effect.

Cancellation of Registration: The registration of a student who is ineligible to attend the university is subject to immediate cancellation.

Pursuant to federal regulations, the university may make ability-to-benefit determinations using federally approved tests and passing scores to receive federal student aid. The university reserves the right to cancel the admission or registration of any individual whose attendance at the university, in the opinion of the appropriate administrative officer and the President, would not be mutually beneficial, as determined by the ability-to-benefit test, to that individual and the university.

Cancellation of Courses: The University reserves the right to cancel any course in which the enrollment is insufficient to warrant the offering of the course or for reasons beyond the university’s control. The academic department offering the course will notify those registered of the cancellation.

Undergraduates Taking Graduate-Level Courses: An undergraduate student who wishes to enroll in graduate courses must have accumulated a minimum of 90 semester hours of credit (see unit of credit above), with a grade point average of at least 3.00.  An undergraduate student admitted to the Honors College must have accumulated a minimum of 45 semester hours of credit with a grade point average of at least 3.00.  All undergraduate students who wish to take a graduate-level course must complete an “Approval for an Undergraduate to Enroll in a Graduate (500 and above) Level Course” form, obtain the necessary signatures, and have it approved by the Graduate College prior to registration.  The form may be found at the Grad Rebel Gateway (https://gradrebelgateway.my.salesforce-sites.com/forms/apex/ERx_Forms__PageMaker?pageid=Undergrad%20to%20Take%20Grad-Level%20Course&envid=a2R1a000002ayEf&AID=0011a00000uF8ep).  No more than six (6) hours of graduate-level courses will be allowed during one semester.

Administrative Drop: A course instructor may initiate an administrative drop of any student for various reasons, including a student’s failure to comply with established requirements or obstruction of class functioning. A student who fails to attend a class should be dropped under the terms of the Class Attendance Policy, also described in this section of the Catalog.  Instructors who initiate administrative drops will document the circumstances for the administrative drop and submit it to the dean of the college offering the course for approval.  Prior to reaching a decision, the dean will consult with the student and other parties as appropriate.  A request for an administrative drop must be reviewed and processed by the Office of the Registrar.  It is the instructor or department’s responsibility to notify the student.  If the request for an administrative drop is not received by the last day to drop or withdraw, the student will be subject to a grade for the course. The deadlines and grades for an administrative drop are the same as for a drop initiated by the student and based on the date that the Office of the Registrar receives the drop request.

Students may appeal the administrative drop to the Faculty Senate Academic Standards Committee and the Executive Vice President and Provost. 

Late Registration: Late registration period begins on the first day of the semester and ends on the last day of the third week.  There are two different kinds of enrollment during the late registration period:

  • Late Enrollment: Students who did not enroll prior to the beginning of the semester and are enrolling in their course/courses during the late registration period.
  • Changes to Enrollment: Students that change their enrollment during the late registration period.

A student will accrue Late-Payment Fees under the following conditions:

  • If students wait until the late registration period to pay tuition/fees.
  • Starting midnight on the Saturday before the first day of the semester, if students’ total number of credits enrolled exceeds the number of credits paid.

Late-Payment Fees will accrue daily if not paid by midnight each day of the first week of school.

In addition, a one-time Late-Registration Fee will be added for Late Enrollment students. 

For more information on the Late-Registration Fee or Late-Payment Fees, please visit the Cashiering Tuition-Fees site.

Changes to Enrollment during first week:  Students may freely add, drop, or swap courses and/or sections until the end of the fifth business day of the semester.

Changes to Enrollment during second week through third week: Students may add, withdraw, or swap courses with time-period permission through the third week of the semester.  Swapping during this time must be done by the Office of the Registrar and must have time-period permission.   Instructors, departments, and colleges are not obliged to grant time-period permission, even if students make requests for permission by the published deadlines.

Enrollment After Late Registration: Adding or swapping courses after the Late-Registration period is generally not permitted but in extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control the University may deem it sufficiently extraordinary to warrant an exception.  Students should submit petitions to Faculty Senate for approval.

Auditing Courses: Auditing a course allows a student to continue attending the lectures and/or laboratories and discussion sessions associated with the course, but the student will not earn a grade for any component of the course. A student who audits a course may receive the same educational experience as students taking the course for a grade but will be excused from exams, assessments, and other evaluative measures that serve the primary purpose of assigning a grade.   A student may change from credit-earning to audit until the last day to drop or withdraw for the semester, as published in the academic calendar.  Additionally, a student may change from audit to credit-earning up to and including the end of the fifth (5th) business day of the semester.  A student should use their MyUNLV to opt for either audit or credit.

Swapping Courses: A student may choose to switch an enrolled course/section for a different course/section without penalty through the end of the fifth (5th) business day of the semester. 
Beginning on the start of the sixth (6th) day of the semester, a student seeking to swap a course/section will need to be processed by the Office of the Registrar and with approved time-period permission.  Any requests for swapping a course/section will only be approved for courses with the same number of credits (switching from three (3) credit course to another three (3) credit course), and the same time type (modular to modular, regular term to regular term, etc.). 

Dropping Courses: A student may drop a course up through the fifth (5th) business day of the semester (excluding modular/midsemester courses) without penalty. 

Withdrawing from Courses: A student may withdraw from a course up to the date identified on the academic calendar (which is 60% into the course).  No student’s withdrawal will be allowed after the last day to withdraw per the academic calendar.  A student who withdraws will be assigned a withdraw grade “W” which will appear on your transcript but will not be calculated in your GPA.  A student remains responsible for the tuition and fees associated with the withdrawn course.   However, a student may qualify for a partial refund of the tuition and fees if the student withdrawals by the 50% refund date identified on the academic calendar.  A grade of “F” will be recorded and appear on your transcripts should a you stop attending and fail to officially withdraw from the course.
A student who officially drops or withdrawals from a course is ineligible to further attend and/or participate in that course.

Withdrawal from University: A student who wishes to withdraw from the University must drop or withdraw from all courses prior to the last date to withdraw for the semester per the academic calendar.  Any student who does not properly drop or withdraw from courses will be subject to failing grades for those courses.  A student who wants to re-enter the University during a subsequent semester must go through the admissions process.

Cancellation of Withdrawal: Students may petition to cancel a withdrawal from the university prior to the last day to drop or withdraw for that particular semester. A petition form for this purpose appears on the Faculty Senate Website

Identity Verification in Online Courses:  Students must use their own campus-issued ACE ID and password to log in to WebCampus.  Any student enrolled in online or hybrid course(s) is expected to read and adhere to the Student Academic Misconduct Policy, which defines, “acting or attempting to act as a substitute for another, or using or attempting to use a substitute, in any academic evaluation or assignment” as a form of academic misconduct. Intentionally sharing ACE login credentials with another person may be considered an attempt to use a substitute and could result in investigation and sanctions, as outlined in the  Student Academic Misconduct Policy.

Additionally, Any student enrolled in online course(s) are expected to read and adhere to the Acceptable Use of Computing and Information Technology Resources Policy, which prohibits sharing university accounts with other persons without authorization.

In general, all graded assignments and assessments for University online courses should be hosted in WebCampus or another University managed platform that requires ACE login credentials for access.  The University’s current policy is at:  https://www.unlv.edu/policies/identity-verification-online-courses-policy.

Institutional Procedures for Student Distance Education Complaints and Appeals: Any current or former student (defined as being within one year after discontinuing enrollment at the University), may file a complaint about their online education concerning deceptive trade practices or other acts of fraud as defined in the NSHE Handbook, Title 4, Chapter 14, Section 25.  The University’s complaint process can be found at: https://www.unlv.edu/learn-online/state-authorization/nv.

Classroom Conduct: Students have a responsibility to conduct themselves in class and in the libraries in ways that do not interfere with the rights of other students to learn or of instructors to teach. Use of electronic or potentially disruptive devices such as pagers, cellular phones, or recording devices are permitted only with the prior explicit consent of the instructor.  Students are specifically prohibited to record classes without instructor authorization, including online/remote classes (either audio only, or video and audio).  The instructor may rescind permission at any time during the class. If a student does not comply with established requirements or obstructs the functioning of the class, the instructor may initiate an administrative withdrawal of the student from the course.

Instructors who record their classes (audio only, or video and audio) should inform the class in advance.  Recorded lectures may not be broadly released to anyone, but made available exclusively to those students enrolled in the class during the particular academic term.  Recorded lectures must be stored securely, and are subject to NSHE’s Records Retention Policy, meaning that the recordings can only be deleted 120 days after the end of class (i.e., after grades are posted).  Once this requirement is met, the recordings should be deleted.  Class recordings are protected from disclosure, as they are deemed part of an educational record under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Copyright: The University requires all members of the University Community to familiarize themselves with, and to follow copyright and fair use requirements. You are individually and solely responsible for violations of copyright and fair use laws. The University will neither protect nor defend you nor assume any responsibility for employee or student violations of fair use laws. Violations of copyright laws could subject you to federal and state civil penalties and criminal liability, as well as disciplinary action under University policies. Additional Copyright Policy information is available at the Provost website.

Class Attendance Policy: Students are expected to attend classes in which they are enrolled unless absent for institutionally approved activities or other reasons allowed under institutional policy.  Instructors may set course attendance requirements for their class, which may include consequences for absences, but such requirements must not conflict with institutional policies governing student absences.  Students, who without previous arrangement with the instructor or department, fail to attend the first two (2) class meetings of a course that meets multiple times per week or the first (1st) meeting of a class that meets one (1)  time per week may be administratively dropped from the course.  Non-attendance for an online course shall be defined as failure to log onto WebCampus or other instructor-designated websites within one (1) week of the course start date without prior arrangements be made with the instructor or department.  A student may be dropped from a course(s) for nonattendance per this policy.  

The Office of the Registrar will process administrative drops under the Class Attendance Policy according to the standard deadlines for dropping and withdrawing per the academic calendar.  Drop requests should not be initiated for a student who adds a class during the add or drop period. Drop requests received after the end of the add/drop period will be recorded as course withdrawals, with a “W” grade.  Instructors and departments who seek to drop students from their courses for non-attendance will make at least two (2) written outreach attempts to the student to be dropped and include a warning that the student may be dropped for non-attendance if they fail to respond. Any request to drop a student for non-attendance must be approved by the dean of the college or school offering the course.

While instructors and departments may request a student be dropped for non-attendance, the University is not obliged to drop a non-attending student.  An instructor who requests a student be dropped for non-attendance is required to track and report the student’s last day of attendance if requested by the Office of the Registrar. 

A student who does not wish to attend a course(s) should drop the course(s) on their own.  As failure to drop the course(s) and/or non-attendance does not release a student from the responsibility to officially drop any course(s) as failure to do so may result in a failing grade and/or financial penalties.


Missed Classwork: It is the student’s responsibility to consult with the course instructor as soon as possible regarding absences from their class.  Except as noted in this policy, the instructor shall make the final determination on allowing alternate assignments or whether missed work can be done at a time other than during the regularly scheduled class period. 

Absence Due to Religious Holy Day Observance.  It is the policy of NSHE to be sensitive to the religious obligations of its students.  Any student missing class, quizzes, examinations, or any other class or laboratory work because of observance of religious holidays will be given an opportunity during that semester to make up the missed work.  The make-up opportunity will apply to the religious holiday absence only.  It is the student’s responsibility to notify the instructor within the first 14 calendar days of the course for Fall and Spring courses (except for modular courses), or within the first seven (7) calendar days of the course for Summer and modular courses, of their intention to participate in religious holidays which do not fall on state holidays or periods of class recess.  This policy shall not apply in the event that administering the assignment at an alternate time would impose an undue hardship on the instructor or the institution that could not be reasonably avoided. 

Any student who is denied a make-up option after appropriately notifying the instructor shall have the right to appeal that decision through the normal appeal mechanism in place at that institution. 

Absence Due to University Approved Extracurricular Activity.  For absences due to university-approved extracurricular activities, it is the student’s responsibility to consult with the instructor as least one (1) week prior to the missed class(es) and provide official written notification regarding the absence to arrange for the completion of all missed coursework.  For purposes of policy, extracurricular activities may include, but are not limited to: fine arts activities, competitive intercollegiate athletics, science and engineering competitions, liberal arts competitions, academic recruitment activities, and any other event or activity sanctioned by a College/School dean, Athletic Director and/or by the Executive Vice President and Provost.

The spirit and intent of the policy for missed classwork is to offer fair and equitable assessment opportunities to all students, including those representing the University in extracurricular activities.  Instructors should consider, for example, that in courses which offer a “drop one” option for the lowest assignment, quiz, or exam, assigning the student a grade of zero for an excused absence for extracurricular activity is both contrary to the intent of the Faculty Senate’s policy, and an infringement on the student’s right to complete all work for the course.

This policy will not apply in the event that completing the assignment or administering the examination at an alternate time would impose an undue hardship on the instructor or the University that could reasonably have been avoided.  There should be a good faith effort by both the instructor and the student to agree to a reasonable resolution. When disagreements regarding this policy arise, decisions can be appealed to the Department Chair/Unit Director, College/School dean, and/or the Faculty Senate Academic Standards Committee.





Grades: Consistent with NSHE Grading Policy, the following grades are used in reporting and recording a student’s proficiency in University courses:

A – Superior
B – Above average
C – Average
D – Below average
F – Failure
P – Pass 
S – Satisfactory
U – Unsatisfactory
I – Incomplete (see below) 
X – Continuing course (research project or course extends beyond one semester) 
AD – Audit 
W – Withdrawn (issued for a drop after the end of late registration)

In addition to solid letter grades, instructors, at their option, may also issue “plus” and “minus” as part of the grading scale.  (i.e., A-, B+, B-, C+, C-, D+, or D-).  The course syllabus will contain a clear explanation of the instructor’s grading scale to be used in the course.  A student may not appeal the format an instructor chooses.
An “F” grades count towards credits attempted and appear on a student’s transcript.
A grade of “S”, as well as grades of “D- and above” on the letter grade scale are considered passing the course.  A student will earn course credit upon entry of a passing grade.  However, individual colleges, schools, programs, and departments can determine a higher passing grade a student needs for a course in order to earn their degree.

Incomplete Grade: A grade of “I” is a neutral mark and represents an incomplete.  An “I” is given when a student has been performing satisfactory work for at least three-fourths of the semester but, for reasons beyond the student’s control is unable, to complete the course requirements during the instructional period.  An “I” mark is excluded from GPA computation.  Non-attendance, poor performance, or requests to repeat the course are unacceptable reasons for the issuance of the “I” mark.

When a student’s request for an incomplete mark is deemed acceptable, the instructor is to indicate to the student the specific work that is necessary to complete the course.   The student must make up the incomplete work by the last day of the following regular semester (fall or spring).  However, the instructor may require that it be made up in less time. A student should not re-register for the course to complete the incomplete provided that they complete the work for the course by the end of the following regular semester or by the date set by the instructor, whichever comes first.

If the course work and/or requirements are not completed by the last day of the next regular semester or by an earlier deadline set by the instructor, the “I” will automatically change to an “F” and the student’s GPA will be adjusted accordingly. A student who receives an “I” in a course graded on a “satisfactory/unsatisfactory” basis and who does not complete course requirements within the time limit will receive a “U” grade.   

Satisfactory/Fail Grading: Certain courses are offered only on a satisfactory/fail basis.  Students in these courses will receive a grade of “S” or “F” rather than a letter grade on the “A to F” scale.  A limited number of courses are offered on the “S/F” grading basis.  The grade of “S” is not used in computing the student’s GPA; however, “F” grades are.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grading: Certain courses are offered only on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis.  Students in these courses will receive a grade of “S” or “U” rather than a letter grade on the “A to F” scale.  A limited number of courses are offered on the “S/U” grading basis.  Receiving an “S” or “U” grade will not be used in computing the student’s GPA.

Note: During the COVID-19 pandemic, the University allowed undergraduate students to opt for satisfactory/unsatisfactory (“S/U”) grading for the following semesters: spring 2020, summer 2020, fall 2020, spring 2021, summer 2021, and fall 2021. From classes held in spring 2020 through spring 2021, the University considered letter grades of “D-” or higher as equivalent to “S”, and a grade of “F” as equivalent to “U” for undergraduate students.  For summer 2021 and fall 2021 classes, the university considered grades of “C” or higher as equivalent to “S”, and grades of “C-” or lower as equivalent to “U,” again for undergraduate students.

Grade Points and Grade Point Average (GPA): To facilitate the averaging of grades, the following values are assigned for one semester credit hour of each grade:

Point Value Grade Per Credit                           
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7
F 0

S, U, I, X, W or AD are not computed.

A student’s GPA is obtained by dividing the total number of points earned by the total number of semester credit hours attempted, excluding noncredit courses and courses in which the marks of “S”, “U”, “I”, “X”, “W”, or “AD” are recorded.  GPA calculations will only include grade points earned in University courses and will not include grade points earned from transferred courses.

Grade Point Balance (GPB): Grade point balance indicates how far above or below a student is from a 2.00 GPA. To compute the GPB, points are assigned as follows:

One Credit of:  Points of:                    
A +2.0
A- +1.7
B+ +1.3
B +1.0
B- +0.7
C+ +0.3
C 0.0
C- -0.3
D+ -0.7
D -1.0
D- -1.3
F -2.0

The GPB is an aid in helping students with grade deficiencies determine what grades are needed to bring their GPA up to a 2.00 which is the minimum needed for graduation.  As an example, a record with a GPB of  8 would require a minimum of eight hours of B (8 times +1.0) or four hours of A (4 times +2.0) to bring the GPA up to a 2.00.

Final Grades: Instructors are responsible for determining and submitting final grades in MyUNLV by the appropriate deadlines established in the academic calendar.  Once the grade is posted in MyUNLV, grades become official records of the University.  The grades shown on the grade rosters in MyUNLV are considered final unless the student files a grade appeal within no later than the end of the second  (2nd) week of instruction in the (Fall/Spring) semester directly following the semester after the grade is assigned.  Application for grade changes, correcting a grade procedure or appeals under this policy will not be considered after degree conferral

Grade Grievance: After final grades have been filed, a grade in an undergraduate course may be changed only by the course instructor or by the Faculty Senate Academic Standards Committee.  A student may file a grade grievance relating to a final course grade.  A student may not use this procedure to appeal a grade received as a sanction for academic dishonesty.  Any student disagreeing with a final course grade must first discuss the bases of the grade with the instructor.  If after consulting with the instructor, the student is not satisfied with the instructor’s decision, the student should contact the chair of the department to discuss.  If the chair declines to overturn the decision of the instructor, the student should notify the Faculty Senate Office of an intent to file a Grade Grievance by either calling the Faculty Senate Office at 702-895-3689 or emailing faculty.senate@unlv.edu.  Notification of the intent to file a Grade Grievance must be received no later than the end of the second week of instruction in (Fall/Spring) semester directly following the semester in which the course was taken.  Any request submitted after this deadline will be denied.

After compiling the appropriate documentation, the student emails the completed form and documentation to the Faculty Senate Office (faculty.senate@unlv.edu).  The Faculty Senate Office will forward the petition to the instructor and department for confirmation the student has exhausted their appeals to them prior to filing the request with the Faculty Senate Office.  The instructor and the department may respond to the Faculty Senate in writing defending their decisions to reject the appeal.  Upon response from the college, all materials are forwarded to the Faculty Senate Academic Standards Committee.  The decision of the Academic Standards Committee will be communicated to all parties involved.  

Correcting a Grade:  An instructor may correct a clerical error on his or her grade roster by submitting a Change of Grade.  The change must first be approved by the department chair and by the dean of the college. The grade change must be received within six (6) months from the last day of the term/semester in which the original grade was given. After six (6) months has elapsed, a petition to correct a grade must be submitted to the Faculty Senate Academic Standards Committee.  Under no circumstances will the Office of the Registrar accept a Change of Grade submitted by a student.



Academic Standing


Academic Good Standing: Students enrolled at the University who maintain a University cumulative grade point average of a 2.00 (GPB of 0 and higher) will be considered in good standing.

Dean’s Honors List: Undergraduate students are eligible for the Dean’s Honors List if: (1) at least 12 credits have been completed during the semester with grades on the ABCDF scale and (2) the semester grade point average is 3.50 or higher. Courses with an Incomplete (I grade) or grade change completed after the semester will not be eligible to count towards the Dean’s Honors List criteria. The University calculates Dean’s Honors List eligibility for fall and spring semesters only, not for summer term.

University Probation:  The University will place a student on probation if the University cumulative GPA falls below a 2.00 (GPB -1 or lower).  Probation will be calculated only at the end of a regular fall or spring semester. 

Continued Probation:  Probation will be lifted as soon as the grade point balance rises to zero (0) or above. Continued poor academic performance that leads to a grade point balance of -15 or below will result in University suspension. It is the responsibility of students on probation to seek advice from an academic advisor.

University Suspension: If the GPB of a student who has ever received a probation warning falls to -15 or below, the University will suspend the student for a minimum of one (1) calendar year.  A suspended student will not be allowed to take any University credit courses. The University will suspend only at the end of a regular fall or spring semester in which the student has been on probation.  University suspension automatically suspends the student from the program and college in which they are enrolled.  An email sent to the student’s official University Rebelmail email address will discharge all university responsibility for notification.

If the student has already begun courses in summer term I at the time that a suspension is processed, the courses in summer term I may be completed for credit.  Students will be dropped from courses in which they are enrolled in summer terms II and III, as well as any future semesters. Credits earned in summer term I will not take a student off university suspension even if the grade point balance reaches above -15.

University Readmission after Suspension: After one calendar year has elapsed, students may petition their college for readmission on probation. (A student with less than 36 credits may choose to request entrance to the Academic Success Center.)  If there were extenuating circumstances preventing successful academic progress and they have been resolved, students may petition the Faculty Senate for early reinstatement.  Students are required to submit official transcripts of courses taken elsewhere while on suspension.

College Probation, Suspension, and Readmission:  If acceptable progress is not made in the program in which a student is enrolled, the student may be placed on probation or suspension at the college level.  In addition to university-wide policies, students are responsible for knowing and complying with applicable school, college and department regulations on academic standing.
College suspension does not suspend a student from the university; however, a suspended student will not be permitted to take any University course until the student has secured re-admittance or acceptance by another college. The college may readmit a student suspended by the college, upon application to the dean, in accordance with college and department regulations. The college may readmit a student suspended by the college, upon application to the dean, in accordance with college and department regulations. Students who have been suspended from a college and later re-admitted may be required to apply for reinstatement to a program within the college.

Program Dismissal: Any student may be dismissed from an academic program for reasons that may include, but are not limited to, inadequate grades, failure to remain in good academic standing as defined by the program, a lack of professionalism, unethical conduct, failure to comport with professional and/or ethical standards applicable to a particular discipline or program, or failure to comply with other specific program requirements.  Each University academic program may establish its own written policies, procedures, and sanctions for its students, so long as the written procedures and sanctions for such program dismissals have been reviewed by the Office of General Counsel and approved by the President of the University.  Students are responsible for knowing and complying with such written policies, procedures, and sanctions.

For programs that do not have a separately approved program dismissal, the procedures specified in the NSHE Student Program Dismissal Policy (NSHE Handbook, Title 2, Chapter 11) shall apply.



Student Records

Change of Name, National ID, Date of Birth, or Gender:

Students may change or update their University records by completing the NSHE Request to Change Personal Identification Data Form and submitting it with appropriate supporting documentation.  If the gender option you are looking for is not present on the form, you can leave it blank, and attach a copy of your state-issued ID showing your gender.  Documentation may be submitted electronically via the Self-Service Help Center, in person, by mail, or by fax.  However, documentation submitted by mail, fax, or electronically must be accompanied by a copy of a government-issued photo ID.


Change of Address: Students should report any change of address immediately through the MyUNLV Student Center.  Any correspondence by the University mailed to the last address provided by the student will discharge the university from all responsibility for notification.


Transcripts: Current students may access their unofficial transcript in their MyUNLV Student Center.  Official transcripts are copies of student academic records of all work attempted at the University and bear the seal of the University and the Registrar’s signature.  Official transcripts may be requested via the online system. Transcripts of work from other institutions or any nontraditional credit transcripts will not be issued by the University.



Degree Progression


Obtaining Credit for Courses: A student will earn credits for a course upon the successful completion of the course.  A course is deemed as successfully completed when students have earned a grade of “D-” or better on the letter grade scale, or a grade of “S” on the Satisfactory/Fail or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading scales.

Duplicate Credit between Different Courses:  Some courses are not designated as equivalent courses but may overlap enough for departments to deem them as duplicate credit courses.  A student may not earn credit for both courses; thus when a student has earned duplicate credit, the first course taken will have its credits omitted from the total earned credits.  However, grades from all duplicate-credit courses taken will still be computed in the GPA.  For example, if a student takes MATH 124 and earns a C, then takes MATH 126 and earns a D, both the C and the D will count towards the GPA, but no credit will be given for MATH 124. 

Grade reports may not initially reflect the duplicate credit courses. Credits attempted, and credits earned are manually adjusted by the Office of the Registrar.

Repeating a Course: 

A student may repeat any course regardless of the grade received.  However, some courses restrict enrollment to a certain number of attempts, as shown in the Catalog.  To avoid the duplication of earned University credits past the approved maximum credits allowed for a course, a student who chooses to repeat any previous successfully attempted University course will only earn credit for the latest successfully attempted course.  A course is deemed successfully attempted when there is a final grade earned from “A” through “F” or an “S” or “U”.  A student may actually end up losing credit if the latest course is successfully attempted but not successfully completed (meaning earning a grade of “F” or a “U”).

When a course is successfully attempted more than once, only the original grade is omitted in computing the student’s GPA.  The repeat grade(s) must be on the same grading option as the original grade.  All grades will remain on the student’s transcript with suitable notation to ensure an accurate academic record.

Grade reports may not initially reflect the repeated courses. However, GPA, credits attempted, and credits earned will be manually adjusted prior to the end of semester, which automatically update the student record.

A student is not precluded from repeating a course for the purpose of improving a grade even if the University has granted them a degree.  The repeat grade, however, will not alter the student’s permanent academic record (as it stands at the time of degree conferral).  Prior to repeating a course, a student should discuss how the new course will affect their overall credits and GPA with their academic advisor.

An unsuccessfully completed course (“F” or “U” grade) does not have to be repeated unless the course is a University General Education Core requirement or a specific college or department requirement. Students should discuss their options with their academic advisor.

Transfer Credit Repeats: Transfer students are strongly encouraged to review major program requirements in the Catalog and to consult with an academic advisor to understand how transfer coursework may satisfy University degree requirements.  A transfer course may be equated one-to-one to a University course.  A student can repeat the course at the University or may have taken the course at the University previously.  However, if a transfer course is deemed equivalent to a University course, any earned credit at UNLV (“D-” or better) will cause the transfer course to be excluded from credit calculations regardless of transfer grade, date taken, or credits transferred.

Credit by Examination: The University allows credit by examination for courses listed in the Catalog with the exception of projects, thesis, research, internship, practicum, and other courses at the discretion of the University.  Credit by examination is subject to the following requirements:

  1. A student must provide evidence that they have covered the subject matter of the course as a result of having taken a comparable course in a non-accredited educational institution or by systematic, independent study or directly pertinent occupational experience.
  2. All active undergraduate students, not on probation, are eligible for credit by examination. Graduate and non-degree seeking students may not apply.
  3. A student may earn a maximum of 30 semester credit hours by credit by examination.
  4. Credit earned by examination does not apply toward satisfying the minimum on-campus resident credit requirement for graduation and does not constitute an interruption of the resident credit requirement.
  5. Credit by examination may not be obtained for a course previously completed at an accredited institution including courses previously taken at the University, regardless of grade. 
  6. Students are not permitted to repeat the same credit by examination. 
  7. Credit by examination cannot be obtained in a course that covers at an elementary level the subject matter of a more advanced course for which the student has already received credit.
  8. Native speakers of languages other than English may not receive lower-division foreign language credit for courses in their native tongue.
  9. The posting of satisfactory completed credit by examinations to the student’s permanent academic record shall clearly identify that the credit was earned by examination along with a grade of “S” or “U”.
  10. Credit by examination for variable unit courses shall not exceed five (5) credits (with the exception of EDWF 135 and EDWF 477 which may be taken for up to 15 credits - additional fees apply).

Students must request an application before taking the examination and obtain written approval from the student’s own major advisor and dean, the instructor of the course, and the department chair and dean of the college offering the course.  The fee per course must be paid in advance.  The form may be found here:  https://www.unlv.edu/sites/default/files/page_files/27/CreditByExamForm.

Regardless of whether or not the student wants the grade recorded, the instructor will enter a grade of “S” or “U” on the Credit by Examination form and submit the form. The instructor will file the completed examination according to the instructions of the dean or department chair; these examinations may be inspected by any faculty member. Under no circumstances will the Office of the Registrar accept a Credit by Examination form submitted by a student.

Changing College, Major; Adding a Second Major: A student desiring to change their major or minor should visit the appropriate advising centers. Each student must satisfy the course requirements of the college and major to which transfer is made, including any admission deficiencies. A student may be accepted simultaneously in two colleges while pursuing dual undergraduate majors or dual undergraduate degrees. (See Dual Major and Dual Baccalaureate Sections below.)

Minor: A minor is defined by a department within the following minimums:

  • 18 credit hours in subject areas (24 recommended).
  • 12 credit hours must be at the 300- or 400-level.
  • At least 50% of the credit hours must be completed at the University

Students who wish to declare a minor should make arrangements at the appropriate department office or advising center. Approval of the department and dean offering the minor is required. Students will not be allowed to declare a minor of which they are already pursuing a major for.  Work require for minor may be completed at any time but no later than the date of graduation. Completed minors will post to the student record at the time of graduation.

Certificates: Students may enroll in certificate programs as an additional credential earned while also working on an undergraduate degree.

Dual Major: Undergraduate students may add a second major and graduate with a dual major, provided the degree type is the same for both majors. Curriculum requirements for both majors must be satisfied in order to receive the degree. If the majors are in different colleges, the resident credit requirement must be satisfied in both colleges. The addition of a second major should be completed prior to undertaking the last 30 resident credits of work required for the degree sought. At graduation, both majors are entered on the permanent record and appear on transcripts and the diploma. Students will only receive one diploma displaying all majors.

Students who wish to earn two separate degrees simultaneously fall under the Dual Baccalaureate Policy and will need to complete all requirements from both areas of study, including an additional 30 credits of coursework, for each additional degree. Dual major students must request a dual baccalaureate with the Office of the Registrar before the conferral of degrees.

Students must receive approval from their academic advisors to add majors. Students who seek to graduate with more than three majors at one time must receive approval from their academic advisors and from Faculty Senate using the General Petition Form.

Dual Baccalaureate: Students may earn two or more baccalaureates, simultaneously, provided that all programmatic/curriculum requirements for all degrees are fulfilled. Courses taken for each additional baccalaureate degree must include a minimum of 30 credits earned per degree beyond the minimum requirements for the first baccalaureate degree.  If the degrees are in different colleges, the resident credit requirement must be satisfied in both colleges.  The addition of an additional degree should be completed prior to undertaking the last 30 semester credits of work required for the degrees sought.  Students who will graduate with multiple baccalaureate degrees must apply for graduation when requirements for all baccalaureates are completed and must submit a separate graduation fee payment for each degree.  At graduation, both degrees are entered on the permanent record and appear on transcripts and the diploma. Students will receive a separate diploma for each degree.  
A dual major student wishing to obtain dual baccalaureate will need to request the dual baccalaureate with the Office of the Registrar before the conferral of degrees.  Students are encouraged to discuss the pathway to obtain a dual baccalaureate with their academic advisor as it could mean a delay in their original graduation date. 
Students must receive approval from their academic advisors to pursue additional degrees. Students who seek to graduate with more than three degrees at one time must receive approval from their academic advisors and from Faculty Senate using the General Petition Form.

Post Baccalaureate: Students who seek to graduate with an additional baccalaureate after receiving the first are considered Post Baccalaureate.  Students must file an application for admission into the second degree program. Upon admission, the student will need to discuss with their academic advisor for appropriate programmatic/curriculum requirement options. 

Study Week: To ensure students have the proper time to prepare for final examinations, the week before final exams shall be designated as a study week, in which classes will meet as scheduled but during which instructors are encouraged to refrain from giving major tests (i.e. hour-long, sit-down, written exams).  This policy does not affect such assignments as laboratory finals, performance exams (as in juries, theatre, music, dance, etc.), short quizzes, term papers, final reports, and similar activities.

Examinations: Each course instructor is responsible for the proper evaluation of enrolled students throughout the instructional period.

Final Examinations: The University requires that final exams given at the end of a course occur on the date and at the time specified in the Final Exam schedule. The general schedule is typically available at the start of the semester, and the classroom locations are available approximately one month before the end of the semester. See the Final Exam Schedule online. Final exams cannot be given during Study Week, as to do so shortens the length of the semester by one week, and thereby results in a course having fewer than the minimum required number of contact hours.

The standard time scheduled for final exams is two hours. Faculty are encouraged to allot sufficient time for students to complete the final exam, and it is expected that the final exam length and content will be commensurate with the time allotted. However, faculty are generally discouraged from offering final exams that do not meet for the standard two-hour period, as doing so negatively affects students’ schedules during an already stressful time. If faculty must allot more or less time for the final exam than the standard two-hour period, the Dean of the College or School must approve the non-standard exam time. In addition, the length of exam time must be indicated on the syllabus to provide proper notice to students and also communicated to the Registrar’s Office before the class schedule goes live for the term (generally around the midpoint of the previous regular semester) so that the exam time can be appropriately noted.

Academic Renewal Policy: This policy applies only to coursework attempted at the University.  Academic renewal is for students who have been away from the University for three (3) years and wish to have one (1) semester of University course work disregarded in all the student’s calculations regarding academic standing, grade point average, and eligibility for graduation at the University.  If summer courses are to be included in the work to be disregarded, then coursework from all summer terms of the same calendar year shall count as one semester. Students granted academic renewal may not graduate with Academic Distinctions.  Disregarded grades may be calculated in scholarship awards, financial aid considerations, or for Excess Credit Fees.

Only semesters prior to the absence are eligible for academic renewal. Academic renewal will be granted only once during a returning student’s academic career at the University and applied only to the first undergraduate degree.  Academic renewal can only be applied prior to graduation from the first undergraduate degree. Once a student graduates, academic renewal cannot be retroactively applied. Students may not apply for academic renewal from courses in which they received a sanction for academic dishonesty.  Students must apply for academic renewal before they have completed 24 credits since returning to the University.

There will be no reimbursement of tuition and fees for the disregarded semester of academic renewal.  Approval of an academic renewal request does not constitute acceptance into a UNLV college or school. If the petition qualifies under this policy, the student’s permanent academic record shall be suitably annotated to indicate that work taken during the disregarded semester, even if satisfactory, will not apply toward graduation requirements. All course work will remain on the transcript, ensuring a true and accurate academic history.

The electronic Academic Renewal Policy Request Form must be completed by the student via their Rebel Mail account and submitted to the Office of the Registrar. All Academic Renewal Forms will be processed at the end of the add/drop period of the semester the student returns to the University.

UNLV does not honor academic renewal policies from other institutions.






Choice of Catalog to Satisfy Graduation Requirements: It is NSHE’s policy (Title 4, Chapter 16, Section 16) to allow students options in selecting the catalog under which to graduate in order to assist students in graduating without excess credits or undue delay.  A student enrolled at the University may elect to graduate under the catalog of the year of enrollment in a baccalaureate-level program or the year of graduation.  A student who changes their major must choose the catalog of the year of the latest change of major or the year of graduation.  In addition, an NSHE transfer student may elect to graduate under the catalog of the year in which the transfer student initially enrolled at the two-year institution.  No catalog used for graduation purposes may be more than 10 years old at the time of graduation.

Periodic revisions of degree requirements are made because of advances in knowledge, changes in occupational or professional qualifications, or the expectations of accrediting authorities.  If such revisions have occurred, the college dean may require a reasonable adherence to the college and department requirements of a recent or current catalog. Institutional catalogs do not constitute contractual agreements or commitments. A student should consult with the appropriate academic advisor licensing board or college/school administrators prior to selecting the catalog under which to graduate.  It is the responsibility of a student to keep in touch with their major department in order to learn of such requirements and to plan ahead for their completion.  The university does not guarantee the awarding of a degree based on the unchanged requirements of a particular catalog. 


Resident Credit: Resident credit means any course that is satisfactorily completed at the University, except credit earned by special examination. Credit by special examination or enrollment in another institution within NSHE does not constitute an interruption of resident credit. However, under no circumstances will the University confer a baccalaureate degree to students who have earned fewer than 30 University credits.

A candidate for the baccalaureate degree must complete the last 30 University semester credits in uninterrupted resident credit as a declared major in the degree-granting college. A student must declare a major prior to enrolling in their last 30 University resident credits. Authorized exceptions to this regulation for the baccalaureate degree are:

  1. A pre-medical, pre-law, or medical technology student who has completed three (3) years of approved resident credit may complete the last 30 credits by satisfactory work in a professional school or university-approved hospital.  Students who elect this option should confer with their dean and with their academic advisor well in advance of the expected transfer date and obtain prior written permission.
  2. A student who has earned a minimum of three-fourths of the total degree credits in resident instruction may earn a maximum of eight acceptable transfer credits during their senior year to apply toward the degree.
  3. Students in the Study Abroad Program sponsored by the Office of International Programs who have earned three-fourths of the credits at the University may earn a maximum of 15 acceptable transfer credits.

A waiver of the resident credit requirement is rarely granted, unless there are extenuating circumstances involving UNLV responsibility.  A petition for an exception should be submitted two (2) semesters in advance of the expected date of graduation. No waiver will be granted unless the petition is approved by their academic advisor, department chair, dean, and the Faculty Senate Academic Standards Committee.

Minimum Credits for Graduation: The minimum number of semester credits required for a baccalaureate degree is 120. At least 30 credits total must be earned in UNLV coursework, and at least 30 credits must be earned in upper-division coursework in residence at UNLV.  Credits earned in courses numbered less than 100 will not count towards the baccalaureate degree. 

In keeping with NSHE Handbook, Title 4, Chapter 16, Section 38, specific credit requirements for each degree are published in this catalog in the Programs section.

Minimum Grade Point Average for Graduation: In order to graduate, an undergraduate student must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 for the total of all college-level credit attempted at the University.  College and department GPA requirements must also be met.

Academic Distinction: Graduation degree designations for students not participating in University or Research/Creative Honors programs are Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, and Summa Cum Laude. To be eligible to receive one of these designations, students must complete a minimum of 60 credits at the University toward a baccalaureate degree and attain the calculated GPA level for their individual college (see Criteria for Academic Distinction below).  In no case will a person be eligible for summa cum laude with a GPA of less than 3.70.  Students who have a combination of earned and in progress credits equaling 60, along with the appropriate GPA at the time that the commencement program goes to print, will be eligible to have their name listed with honors in the program, and their name read with honors at the commencement ceremony.

A student’s cumulative GPA at the time of conferral will be used to make final determination of Academic Distinction.  However, for purposes of the commencement ceremony, a student must satisfy the minimum GPAs at the end of the summer semester prior to participating in the fall ceremony or the end of the fall semester prior to participating in the spring ceremony in order for the Academic Distinction to be announced during the ceremony.  Students granted academic renewal may not graduate with Academic Distinction.

Criteria for Academic Distinction: The GPA ranges for graduation degree designations for each college will be established for the next academic year from the reports from the previous two years. Thus, at the end of each academic year (defined as summer, fall, and spring), the Office of the Registrar will prepare a rank-order list of the top 10 percent (1 percent = Summa, 4 percent = Magna, and 5 percent = Cum) of the students graduating from each college (excluding the Graduate College) for the Latin Honors.  Students’ GPAs will not be rounded up. These ranges will be applied to August, December, and May graduations.  Students whose GPAs fall on or above the set ranking will be awarded the higher designation.  More information can be found at:  https://www.unlv.edu/registrar/graduation/undergraduate-honors.   

In the event that no student attains the GPA level required for the Summa Cum Laude designation in a college, the student with the highest GPA in the college at the end of the year will be awarded the designation, provided that his or her GPA is 3.70 or higher.

Academic Distinction in the Honors College: Students who successfully complete an Honors College program graduate with honors if they:

  • Complete the requirements for the University Honors and/or the Research and Creative Honors program or the Service Learning Honors program, the requirements for their major, and applicable University graduation requirements.
  • Graduate with a final GPA of at least 3.30
  • Graduate with a final Honors College GPA of at least 3.00, and
  • Graduate with at least 60 credits earned at the University.

The Latin Honors designations (Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, and Summa Cum Laude), which appear on final transcripts and diplomas, are awarded by the Honors College to college graduates as follows:

Students graduating from the University Honors Program:

  • Cum Laude if their final GPAs are 3.50 - 3.69;
  • Magna cum Laude if their final GPAs are 3.70 or higher; or
  • Summa cum Laude is not awarded for this program.

Students graduating from the Research and Creative Honors Program:

  • Cum Laude if their final GPAs are 3.30 - 3.49;
  • Magna cum Laude if their final GPAs are 3.50 - 3.69; or
  • Summa cum Laude if their final GPAs are 3.70 or higher and they receive a grade of “A” in HON 499.

Students graduating from the Service Learning Honors Program:

  • Cum Laude if their final GPAs are 3.60-3.69;
  • Magna Cum Laude if their final GPAs are 3.70 or higher; or
  • Summa cum Laude is not awarded for this program

Application for Graduation: Each undergraduate student must apply for graduation in MyUNLV at the beginning of the semester of graduation. Students must have senior standing (earned credits equal to 90 or more) at the time of application. Application deadlines appear on the academic calendar. One application will be submitted for all current degrees; each degree will incur a nonrefundable graduation fee.  See Student Accounts for additional information regarding the graduation application fee.  Students can refer to the Office of the Registrar’s website for additional graduation and commencement information.

Degree Completion: All course requirements must be completed by the last day of final examinations of the student’s final semester. All grades, including incompletes, as well as all transcripts of work attempted at other institutions must be on file in the Office of the Registrar by the date that final semester grades are due. No degree, diploma, or certificate will be granted to a student unless all NSHE, general core, college, and department requirements have been fulfilled. If awarded in error or upon fraudulent claims that are discovered later, the degree, diploma, or certificate will be revoked.

Commencement Ceremony: The University has two commencement ceremonies each year, one in May and one in December. Spring graduates are recognized in the May commencement. Summer and Fall graduates are recognized in the December commencement. Note that participation in a commencement ceremony does not guarantee degree conferral.

Students who are not scheduled to finish their degree programs until the summer following May commencement may be allowed, under certain circumstances, to participate in the May graduation ceremony. Students should contact the Office of the Registrar for information.

Degree Conferral: Degrees are conferred only when all NSHE, University, college, and department requirements have been met and final grades for the student’s final semester have been computed.  Degrees are conferred during a ten-week period following the end of each semester. Diplomas will be mailed after the conferral period.

Diplomas: Diplomas are conferred only for completion of all academic requirements of degree programs. Diplomas are not conferred for completion of minors or concentrations. Minors and concentrations will be listed on official transcripts.





Library Resources:  Librarians are available to consult with students on research needs, including developing research topics, finding information, and evaluating sources. To make an appointment with a subject expert for a course, please visit the Libraries’ Research Consultation website. You can also ask the library staff questions via chat and text message.



Summer Term


Summer courses have the same academic content as the fall or spring courses with the same titles, but the summer courses move at a much faster pace.

Summer term tuition and fees must be paid the business day before the course a student is registered for begins in order to avoid late fees. To receive a 100 percent refund a student must drop a course the business day before the course begins. If a student registers for a course and does not pay the tuition and fees due by the end of the late-payment period for the term in which the course falls, the student will be administratively dropped still owing 50 percent of the tuition and fees for the course. The fiscal drop date (50 percent refund) for a summer term course is the date on which 20 percent of the course has passed. The academic drop (last day to drop) for a summer term course is the date on which 60 percent of the course has passed.

For relief from academic policies for the summer terms, a complete petition should be submitted directly to Summer Term.  Summer term information can be found at the Summer Term website.



Exceptions to Academic Policies

If extraordinary circumstances warrant waiver of an academic policy, a student may petition the University for relief.   The petition must first be routed to the student’s Academic advisor (who should assist in preparation), department chair, and dean.  Any petition filed with the Faculty Senate Office will be made by the Faculty Senate Academic Standards Committee.  Information on how to file a petition can be found at: https://www.unlv.edu/facultysenate/student-resources/general-petition.