Dec 04, 2022
The Ed.S. degree program is designed for individuals who possess the ability and desire to pursue advanced graduate work beyond the master’s level.
For more information about your program, including your graduate program handbook and learning outcomes, please visit the Degree Directory.
Plan Admission Requirements
Applications available on the UNLV Graduate College website.
In addition to the credentials required by the Graduate College, admission to the Ed.S. program in Curriculum and Instruction also requires the students:
- Hold a master’s degree in education or in a field related to education.
- Present evidence of a minimum of two years of professional experience appropriate to the selected concentration.
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.00 in all graduate-level course work.
- Submit an on-line application to the Graduate College.
- Submit satisfactory test results from the Graduate Record Exam (GRE General Exam) to the C&I Department.
- The online application must include a one- to two-page statement of professional goals. The names with contact information of two professional references and intended emphasis area should be included in the statement.
- Two sets of official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities. One set of transcripts must be sent directly to the Graduate College; the other set must be sent directly to the T&L main office.
Applicants will be evaluated on scholastic record, professional accomplishments, and potential for advanced studies. Applicants may be asked to meet with a Graduate Admissions Committee for a formal interview.
All domestic and international applicants must review and follow the Graduate College Admission and Registration Requirements.
Students are accepted into a degree program as described in the Graduate Catalog. The faculty and corresponding sub-disciplines and sub-plans within the described programs are subject to change at any time.
Total Credits Required: 33
Research Required Courses – Credits: 6
Complete two of the following courses:
Area of Emphasis Courses – Credits: 15
Complete 15 credits of advisor-approved emphasis-area courses within and/or outside the department. Students may fulfill these credits via directed study.
Cognate Courses – Credits: 9
Complete 9 credits of advisor-approved courses in an area of study which enhances the major area of emphasis. Cognate courses may be taken in the Department of Teaching and Learning or other departments at UNLV.
Culminating Experience – Credits: 3
- Students must complete a minimum of 33 credits with a minimum GPA of 3.00.
- Students must complete a written comprehensive examination and/or oral presentation of a special project or professional paper.
Plan Graduation Requirements
The student must successfully complete a culminating experience.
Students may apply for graduation up to two semesters prior to completing their degree requirements. All required forms must be submitted to the graduate college via the Grad Rebel Gateway.