Dec 05, 2023
English Composition - Total Credits: 6
English Literature - Total Credits: 3
Constitutions - Total Credits: 3-6
Mathematics - Total Credits: 3
MATH 120 or above
Distribution Requirement Social Science
Fine Arts - Total Credits: 6
Foreign Culture - Total Credits: 6
Humanities - Total Credits: 6
Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking - Total Credits: 9-10
Social Sciences - Total Credits: 9
Multicultural and International
(see note 1 below)
Foreign Language/Foreign Culture - Total Credits: 6
Additional Degree Requirements
Electives - Option A: Total Credits: 11-13
Electives - Option B: Total Credits: 8-10
- Every student must complete a three-credit multicultural course and a three-credit international course. Courses satisfying other requirements many simultaneously satisfy the multicultural and international requirements, except one course cannot satisfy both the multicultural and the international requirements.
- There is a separate Honors Multidisciplinary Studies track, designed for students participating in University Honors. A full description can be found in the Honors College section.
- Students who choose Option A must complete two areas of study with a minimum of 21 credits in each. A minimum of 18 credits in each area of study must be selected from upper-division courses.
- Students who choose Option B must complete three areas of study with a minimum of 15 credits in each. A minimum of 12 credits in each area of study must be selected from upper-division courses.
- In order to successfully complete their degree, students must obtain a C or better in all IDS courses.
- All courses in the areas of study must be taken prior to IDS 495. Students can take summer courses and still walk in the May graduation as long as they do not take any IDS courses or any courses to be used in the areas of study. Students who wish to participate in the May graduation are limited to twelve summer credits.
- A student can use a maximum of three credits of private lessons toward an area of study. A student may apply up to a maximum of four physical activity credits combined (PEX) as electives for graduation.
- No courses counted towards the General Education core can be applied to the areas of study, except for the multicultural or international requirement.
- A minimum of 42 upper-division hours are required for the completion of the degree.