Jun 16, 2021
Art History Major- Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Please see the UNLV College of Fine Arts web page at http://www.unlv.edu/finearts for information about department programs, faculty and facilities. Degree worksheets and 4/5 year plan for the major are available at https://www.unlv.edu/degree/ba-art-history.
Please see advising information at the UNLV College of Fine Arts Advising Center at www.unlv.edu/finearts/advising.
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org
Program Accreditation - National Association of Schools of Art and Design nasad.arts-accredit.org/
- Identify major works of art from the time periods and cultures represented in courses taken this semester.
- Articulate the formal elements (e.g. line, color, composition, perspective, etc.) of works of art.
- Identify differences and similarities between works of art from the same or different historical moments.
- Apply theoretical concepts to works of art.
- Learn more about an historical period through studying works of art and artists from that period.
- Knowledgeably discuss art historical styles and movements.
- Articulate and respond to unfamiliar works of art based on skills developed studying known works.
- Understand career routes for art historians and prepare for postgraduate academic, internship, or job opportunities.
University Graduation Requirements
Art History Degree Requirements - Total 120 Credits
Offers the students program of study of cultural heritage in the visual arts. Prepares a student for a career or graduate studies in art history and related areas.
(See note 1)
General Education Requirements - Subtotal: 37-40
First-Year Seminar - Credits: 2-3
English Composition - Credits: 6
Second-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
Constitutions - Credits: 4-6
Distribution Requirements - Credits: 19
Please see Distribution Requirements for more information.
- Humanities and Fine Arts:
- Automatically satisfied by Major requirements
- Social Science: 9 credits
- One course each from three different fields
- Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking: 10 credits
- Two courses from Life and Physical Science; at least one course must have a lab
- Analytical Thinking - 3 credits
Multicultural and International
Multicultural, one 3 credit course required
International, one 3 credit course required
These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. A single course may not meet the multicultural and international requirements simultaneously. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: http://facultysenate.unlv.edu/students
Major Requirements - BA in Art History Subtotal: 60 Credits
Electives - Credits: 17-20
It is recommended students satisfy electives with humanities courses.
- Of the 120 credits required, 42 of these credits must be in upper-division course work (300-400 level).
- may be taken for Art History credit only.
- may be taken only after completing at least one 400-level art history course with a B or better