Jan 28, 2020
Women’s Studies Major- Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Please see the UNLV College of Liberal Arts, Interdisciplinary Degrees web page at www.unlv.edu/interdisciplinary/womens-studies for information about department programs, faculty and facilities.
Please see advising information at the UNLV Wilson Advising Center at www.liberalarts.unlv.edu/WAC/.
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org
- The sociology graduate will have knowledge of:
- The key concepts, debates, and trends in sociology
- The major sociological paradigms and theories
- the variety of methods used in sociological research
2. Sociology students will be able to:
- Show evidence of the development of a sociological imagination by applying sociological knowledge in their own projects—whether intellectual, personal, and/or political.
- Exhibit confidence in expressing ideas orally and in writing.
University Graduation Requirements
Women’s Studies Degree Requirements - Total: 120 Credits
(See note 1 below)
General Education Requirements - Subtotal: 36-38 Credits
First-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
English Composition - Credits: 6
Second-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
Constitutions - Credits: 4
Distribution Requirement - Credits:18-19
Please see Distribution Requirements for more information.
- Humanities and Fine Arts: 9 Credits
- Two courses 3 credits each from two different humanities areas - 6 credits
- One course in fine arts- 3 credits
- Social Science
- Automatically satisfied by Major requirements
- Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking: 9-10 credits
- Two courses from life and physical sciences category; at least one must have a lab
- Analytical Thinking - 3 credits
Multicultural and International
Multicultural, one 3 credit course required
International, one 3 credit course required
These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. A single course may not meet the multicultural and international requirements simultaneously. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: http://facultysenate.unlv.edu/students
Major Degree Requirements - Women’s Studies - Subtotal: 55 Credits
(see note 2-4 below)
Electives - Credits: 27-29
- All Women’s Studies course work must be completed with a grade of C or higher.
- Students may satisfy up to six credits of the 21 required credits of WMST electives through study abroad. Only courses approved in advance by the chair of Women’s Studies or the undergraduate advisor may be used in fulfillment of requirements for the Women’s Studies major or minor.
- Students should consult advisers to plan their schedules early in their UNLV careers because most Women’s Studies courses are offered only once annually. and are both pre-requisites for and . and are both pre-requisites for WMST 497. If possible, we recommend you plan on taking before taking . We also recommend taking immediately after : in the Fall of your senior year, and in the Spring of your senior year.
- Recommended sequence for core major and minor requirements: , , , ,