Jun 16, 2021
Social Science Studies Major - Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Please see the UNLV Social Science Studies department web page at http://www.unlv.edu/interdisciplinary/social-science-studies for more information about department programs, faculty, and facilities.
Please see advising information at the UNLV Wilson Advising Center at liberalarts.unlv.edu/WAC/
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org
- Understand the value of interdisciplinary inquiry
- Identify the theories, methods, and critical perspectives of at least two academic disciplines in the social sciences.
- Apply the theories, methods, and critical perspectives of at least two academic disciplines in the social sciences.
- Synthesize the theories, methods, and critical perspectives of at least two disciplines in the social sciences into a developed plan of research and analysis.
- Apply a synthesized plan of research to a single problem or set of problems concerning contemporary society.
- Communicate ideas clearly in written and oral form.
- Build an intellectual foundation to support continuous learning.
University Graduation Requirements
Social Science Studies Degree Requirements - Total: 120 Credits
(see note 1)
General Education Requirements - Subtotal: 36-40 Credits
First-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
English Composition - Credits: 6
Second-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
Constitutions - Credits: 4-6
Distribution Requirement - Credits: 18
Please see Distribution Requirements for more information.
- Humanities and Fine Arts: 9 credits
- Two 3-credit courses in the humanities and one 3-credit course in fine arts.
- Social Sciences:
- Automatically satisfied by Major requirement
- Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking: 9-10 credits
Multicultural and International
(see note 2)
Multicultural, one 3 credit course required
International, one 3 credit course required
These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. A single course may not meet the multicultural and international requirements simultaneously. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: http://facultysenate.unlv.edu/students
Major Requirements - BA in Social Science Studies Major - Subtotal: 72 Credits
(see note 3)
Social Science - Credits: 9
Fine Arts - Credits: 3
Foreign Language/Foreign Culture - Credits: 6
Electives - Credits: 10-12
(see note 8)
- All courses in the Social Science major must be taken prior to IDS 495. Students can take summer courses and still walk in the May graduation as long as they do not take any IDS courses or any courses in the major. Students who wish to participate in the May graduation are limited to twelve summer credits.
- No courses counted towards the General Education core can be applied to the areas of study, except for the multicultural or international requirement.
- In order to successfully complete their degree, students must obtain a C or better in all IDS courses.
- Unless by special permission a maximum of six credits of Independent Study.
- A minimum of 42 upper-division hours are required for the completion of the degree.
- Students may complete a maximum of 21 credits from any one department.
- Students must complete a minimum of 6 credits in at least three different Social Science departments.
- A student may apply up to a maximum of four physical activity credits combined (PEX) as electives for graduation.