Jun 16, 2021
Health Care Administration Major - Bachelor of Science (BS)
Please see the UNLV College of Sciences, Health Care Administration department web page at hca.unlv.edu/ for information about department programs, faculty and facilities.
Please see advising information at the UNLV College of Science Advising at email@example.com.
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org
Program - Association of University Programs in Health Administration aupha.org/main/home/
- Students are able to describe the nature of health care services, including the demographic, social, political, economic, technological, legal, ethical, professional and historic factors that influence the present and future direction of health care.
- Students are able to describe the nature and function of health care organizations, including multi-institutional systems and managed care arrangements.
- Students are able to describe the distribution and determinants of health and disease, including the influences of individual behavior, the environment, and health care technology in the prevention and progression of disease, as well as the restoration of health.
- Students are able to describe managerial knowledge and skills of health care organization change, design, performance, strategic planning, marketing, problem-solving, decision making and leadership.
- Students are able to apply basic quantitative abilities in health care financial management, computer literacy, operations analysis, management information systems, statistics and research methods.
- Students are able to demonstrate the ability to integrate theories and practices of health care administration in the practice setting through a faculty-supervised practicum.
University Graduation Requirements
Health Care Administration Requirements - Total: 120 Credits
General Education Requirements - Subtotal: 39-43 Credits
First-Year Seminar - Credits: 2-3
English Composition - Credits: 6
Second-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
Constitutions - Credits: 4-6
Distribution Requirement - Credits: 18-19
Please see Distribution Requirements for more information.
- Humanities and Fine Arts: 9 Credits
- Two courses 3 credits each from two different humanities areas - 6 credits
- One course in fine arts- 3 credits
- Social Science:
- Automatically satisfied by Major requirements
- Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking: 9-10 Credits
- Two courses from life and physical sciences category; at least one course must have a lab.
- Analytical Thinking
Multicultural and International - Credits: 3
(see note 1 below)
Multicultural, one 3 credit course required
International, one 3 credit course required
These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. A single course may not meet the multicultural and international requirements simultaneously. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: http://facultysenate.unlv.edu/students
Major Requirements - BS in Health Care Administration - Subtotal: 72-75 Credits
Electives - Credits: 5-12
- Specific restrictions on courses fulfilling this requirement exist. See the UNLV General Education Core Requirement Section of this catalog for additional information.