Dec 09, 2023
English Major- Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Please see the UNLV English Department web page at http://english.unlv.edu for information about department programs, faculty, and facilities.
Degree worksheets and 4/5 year plan for the major are available at https://www.unlv.edu/degree/ba-english, https://www.unlv.edu/degree/ba-english-creative-writing, and https://www.unlv.edu/degree/ba-english-professional-writing.
Please see advising information at the UNLV Wilson Advising Center at http://liberalarts.unlv.edu/WAC/.
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org
- Students will produce informed, rhetorically effective texts both in writing and orally.
- Students will read, evaluate, and apply textual, digital, and material resources.
- Students will analyze, synthesize, and apply a range of theories and critical methods.
- Students will recognize and explain significant themes, aesthetic trends, linguistic features, and generic conventions across the historical range of textual and literary production in English.
- Students will interrogate complex relationships between race, class, gender, and sexuality in written texts and other media.
University Graduation Requirements
English Degree Requirements - Total: 120 Credits
General Education Requirements - Subtotal: 36-40
First-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
English Composition - Credits: 6
Second-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
Constitutions - Credits: 3-6
Distribution Requirement - Credits: 18-19
Please see Distribution Requirements for more information.
- Humanities and Fine Arts: 9 credits
- Automatically satisfied by Major requirements
- Social Science: 9 credits
- Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking: 9-10 credits
Multicultural and International
(see note 1 below)
Multicultural, one 3 credit course required
International, one 3 credit course required
These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. A single course may not meet the multicultural and international requirements simultaneously. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: http://facultysenate.unlv.edu/students
Major Requirements - English Major - Subtotal: 51
Foreign Language - Credits: 9
Humanities (included in Foreign Language)
Fine Arts - Credits: 6
English Electives - Credits: 18
6 English courses. Must include at least 4 courses at the 300-level and above.
General Electives - Credits: 29-33
English Major: Literature Concentration
English Majors may earn a Concentration in Literature by completing the following 15 credits as part of their degree:
English Major: Creative Writing Concentration
English majors may earn a Concentration in Creative Writing by completing the following 15 credits as part of their degree:
English Major: Professional Writing Concentration
English majors may earn a Concentration in Professional Writing by completing the following 12 credits as part of their degree:
English Major: Cultural Studies Concentration
English Majors may earn a Concentration in Cultural Studies by completing the following 15 credits as part of their degree:
English Major: Writing and Rhetoric Concentration
English Majors may earn a Concentration in Writing and Rhetoric by completing the following 15 credits as part of their degree:
- English courses already approved to satisfy the multicultural requirement include: , , , , , , , ENG 496B and ENG 496D .
- and (or their equivalents) are prerequisites for all English courses except creative writing courses.
- ENG 298 is milestone course for English B.A.
- Select any 400-level course, and work with the instructor of that course to complete an additional capstone project.