Dec 04, 2022
Individuals who already have a master’s degree in nursing as a Family Nurse Practitioner and meet the admissions qualifications will be allowed to take courses towards the Post-Master’s Advanced Graduate Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner for the FNP upon admissions into the program. A certificate will be awarded documenting completion of the coursework and transcripts will reflect courses taken.
For more information about your program, including your graduate program handbook and learning outcomes, please visit the Degrees Directory.
View Certificate Disclaimer.
Plan Admission Requirements
Applications available on the UNLV Graduate College website.
All applicants must review and follow the Graduate College Admission and Registration Requirements.
Students must apply and submit all admission materials via the Grad Rebel Gateway system available through the Graduate College. The following items are required:
- Ofﬁcial transcripts of all course work for both baccalaureate and graduate degrees must be sent to the School of Nursing and Graduate College. Transcripts must show coursework in Advanced Physical Assessment, Advanced Pathophysiology, and Advanced Pharmacology and the Family Nurse Practitioner degree concentration. Additionally, if unofﬁcial transcripts are available to the student, please upload to the Grad Rebel Gateway application. Nursing course work must have been completed at a nursing program accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission or Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
- Three letters of recommendation from either instructors or employers that speak to the applicant’s potential to complete the Advanced Graduate Certiﬁcate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Program.
- Statement of 300 words describing the students’ professional goals and reason for seeking a nurse practitioner certiﬁcate.
- Current resume or curriculum vitae (CV).
- Current valid unencumbered and unrestricted RN license in state of residence.
- Interviews may be required.
Seat Holding Fee: A one-time, non-refundable deposit of $500 is required as a seat holding fee. This deposit will be credited towards tuition costs once admissions acceptance has been completed.
Students are accepted into a certificate program as described in the Graduate Catalog. The faculty and corresponding sub-disciplines and sub-plans within the described programs are subject to change at any time.
Total Credits Required: 21
Required Courses – Credits: 21
Completion of a minimum of 21 credits with a minimum GPA of 3.00.
Plan Certificate Completion Requirements
Students may apply for graduation up to two semesters prior to completing their degree requirements. All required forms must be submitted to the graduate college via the Grad Rebel Gateway.
In Nevada, the educational prerequisites for professional licensure in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) are an active Nevada RN License, National Certiﬁcation as a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, and graduation from a nationally accredited Nursing Program with a minimum of 500+ hours of direct patient care. The Advanced Graduate Certiﬁcate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner does NOT currently satisfy those licensure and certiﬁcation requirements as this is a new program and a substantive program change form will be submitted to our accrediting body, the Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), when the program is implemented. In addition to Nevada, UNLV School of Nursing currently accepts applicants from select states. V
isit the Road to Rebel Nursing webpage (https://www. unlv. edu/nursing/prospective/roadmaps) to view a list of states.
UNLV School of Nursing has not made a determination with respect to the licensure requirements in any other state. As such, Advanced Graduate Certiﬁcate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner is not authorized in any other state in which th e prospective or enrolled student resides. If you reside in a state other than Nevada or CCNE does not grant accreditation as anticipated, UNLV will refund the applicable application fee in accordance with its procedures. License requirements for other states are being explored. Please check the Graduate College Application Deadline page for current information about the Spring application.