Dec 08, 2023
For academic requirements that apply to all students in the College of Business, please refer to the College of Business section of the Undergraduate Catalog.
University Core (General Education) Requirements - Total Credits: 33-37
Where specific courses are not identified, please see the related section of the Undergraduate Catalog for information about which courses may satisfy university core requirements.
English Composition - Total Credits: 6
English Literature - Total Credits: 3
Constitutions - Total Credits: 3-6
Mathematics - Total Credits: 3
Distribution Requirement Social Science
Because the courses taught by the College of Business are deemed part of the social sciences distribution area, students pursuing a major in the College of Business must fulfill the distribution requirement by completing courses in each of two content areas outside the major area of study. Those areas are: Humanities and Fine Arts; and Natural Sciences and Analytical Thinking
Humanities and Fine Arts - Total Credits: 9
Humanities, 6 credits required
- COM 101 - Oral Communication
A humanities course other than one with a COM prefix
Fine Arts, 3 credits required
Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking - Total Credits: 9-10
Life and Physical Sciences, 6-7 credits required
science with a lab
Analytical Thinking, 3 credits required
- PHIL 101 - Introduction to Philosophy
Multicultural and International
Three credits in each area are required. These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: http://www.unlv.edu/committees/gec/. (Most business students will satisfy these requirements with courses required for the business core and major.)
• Multicultural, 3 credits required
• International, 3 credits required
Foreign Language/Foreign Culture - Total Credits:6
Two courses in the same foreign language at the university level or the equivalent or two courses (at least six credits) in a foreign culture. Students should consult with an academic advisor regarding acceptable foreign culture courses.
General Electives - credits required vary in order to earn 124 degree-applicable credits
Additional elective courses that will augment the major are recommended. The number of electives necessary for each student varies based on how many credits a student uses to satisfy the requirements identified above. The minimum number of degree-applicable credits required to earn a degree from the College of Business is 124. Students must have earned 39 credits of 300- and 400-level courses upon graduation.
Economics Major Requirements - Total Credits: 33
Twelve of the 33 required economics major credits must be 400-level ECON courses.
- Students planning to pursue graduate studies in economics are encouraged to take ECON 401, 402, 440, 441, 442 and 493.
- Students interested in careers in government are encouraged to take ECON 307, 354, 451 and 470.
- Students pursuing careers in business are encouraged to take ECON 457, 441, 462, 463 and 480.
- For students planning a career in law, a major in economics offers excellent preparation. Recommended electives for the pre-law major include ECON 354, 455, and 457.
- Students must complete a three-credit multicultural course and a three-credit international course. Courses satisfying other requirements may simultaneously satisfy the multicultural and international requirements. However, one course may not satisfy both the multicultural and the international requirements. For an approved list, visit http://www.unlv.edu/committees/gec. Economics–B.A. students may meet the multicultural requirement by taking ECON 305 as one of the upper-division economics electives. Economics–B.A. students may meet the international requirement by taking ECON 358, ECON 462 or ECON 463 as one of the upper-division economics electives.
- Students must have earned 39 credits of 300- and 400-level courses upon graduation.