Dec 05, 2023
For academic requirements that apply to all students in the College of Business, please refer to the College of Business section of the Undergraduate Catalog.
University Core (General Education) Requirements - Total Credits: 33-37
Where specific courses are not identified, please see the related section of the Undergraduate Catalog for information about which courses may satisfy university core requirements.
English Composition - Total Credits: 6
English Literature - Total Credits: 3
Constitutions - Total Credits: 3-6
Mathematics - Total Credits: 3
Distribution Requirement Social Science
Because the courses taught by the College of Business are deemed part of the social sciences distribution area, students pursuing a major in the College of Business must fulfill the distribution requirement by completing courses in each of two content areas outside the major area of study. Those areas are: Humanities and Fine Arts; and Natural Sciences and Analytical Thinking.
Humanities and Fine Arts Total Credits: 9
Humanities, 6 credits required
- COM 101 - Oral Communication
A humanities course other than one with COM prefix
Fine Arts, 3 credits required
Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking - Total Credits: 9-10
Life and Physical Sciences, 6-7 credits required
science with a lab
Analytical Thinking, 3 credits required
- PHIL 102 - Critical Thinking and Reasoning
Multicultural and International - Total Credits: 6
Three credits in each area are required. These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: http://www.unlv.edu/committees/gec/. (Some business students may satisfy these requirements with courses required for a business major.)
• Multicultural, 3 credits required
• International, 3 credits required
Business Administration Core Requirements - Total Credits: 42
Other College of Business Requirements - Total Credits: 9
General Electives-credits required vary in order to earn 124 degree-applicable credits
The number of non-business electives necessary for each student varies based on how many credits a student uses to satisfy the requirements identified above. The minimum credits required to earn a degree from the College of Business is 124.
Accounting Major Requirements - Total Credits: 24
- Students planning to take the CPA examination should take additional courses at the graduate level. Consult with the State Board of Accountancy for CPA examination requirements.
- Students preparing for careers in industry should consider taking ACC 420 as an upper-division accounting elective.
- Students interested in focusing their elective course work should consult an advisor early in their academic career to allow for proper planning of electives.
- Every student must complete a three-credit multicultural course and a three-credit international course. Courses satisfying other requirements may simultaneously satisfy the multicultural and international requirements. However, one course may not satisfy both the multicultural and the international requirements. For an approved list, visit http://www.unlv.edu/committees/gec.
- All courses in the accounting major must be completed with a grade of C or better. To satisfy an accounting prerequisite, a student must earn a C or better in the prerequisite course(s).