Dec 05, 2022
Jazz and Commercial Music Major - Bachelor in Music (BM)
Please see the College of Fine Arts web page at www.unlv.edu/finearts for information about department programs, faculty and facilities. Degree worksheets and 4/5 year plan for the major are available at https://www.unlv.edu/degree/bm-jazz-commercial-music.
Degree worksheets and 4/5 year plan for the major are available at https://www.unlv.edu/degree/bm-jazz-commercial-music.
Please see advising information at the College of Fine Arts Advising at www.unlv.edu/finearts/advising
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org
Program - National Association of Schools of Music http://nasm.arts-accredit.org/
Students graduating from the UNLV School of Music with a Bachelor of Music degree will:
- perform in one primary performance medium, at a level appropriate for the area of specialization, with sufficient technical and musical skills requisite for artistic self-expression;
- demonstrate broad working knowledge of the solo repertoire for their primary performance medium, at a level appropriate for the area of specialization, and display essential skills to interpret a range of styles within that repertoire;
- perform in solo and ensemble (large and small) settings at a level appropriate for the area of specialization, with sufficient technical and musical skills requisite for artistic self-expression;
- read solo and ensemble (large and small) literature at sight with fluency demonstrating both general musicianship and, in the primary performance medium, a skill level relevant to professional standards appropriate for the area of concentration;
- demonstrate in written, verbal, aural, and visual methods knowledge of styles, composers, genres, forms and processes of Western European art music through present time, including contributions to this tradition made by composers of both genders and multicultural societies;
- demonstrate knowledge of the principles of harmony, musical form, and compositional process, and the ability to use this knowledge in written, verbal, aural, and visual analyses;
- demonstrate fluency in written fundamentals and aural comprehension of music theory (including aural dictation); utilize the piano for personal music study and instruction;
- synthesize performance, historical, stylistic, analytical, and technological information to solve artistic problems and form musical interpretations, and convincingly communicate these solutions and interpretations in written, verbal, aural, and visual methods.
- develop and plan for instruction in P-12 settings (Music Education Only)
- facilitate the technical development and artistic growth of students’ musical skills through appropriate pedagogical techniques and methodologies (Music Education Only).
University Graduation Requirements
Jazz and Commercial Music Degree Requirements - Total: 122-126 Credits
General Education Requirements - Subtotal 38-40
First-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
English Composition - Credits: 6
Second-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
Constitutions - Credits: 4-6
Distribution Requirement - Credits: 19
Please see Distribution Requirements for more information.
Humanities and Fine Arts
Automatically satisfied by the major
Social Sciences Credits / Units: 9
Life & Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking Credits / Units: 10
- PHIL 102 - Critical Thinking and Reasoning
- and two courses from life and physical sciences category; at least one must be a lab
Multicultural and International
Multicultural is fulfilled by:
- MUS 345 - Jazz and Commercial Music History I
International is fulfilled by:
- MUS 342 - Music History II
These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. A single course may not meet the multicultural and international requirements simultaneously. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: https://www.unlv.edu/provost/multicultural-requirements.
Major Requirement - BM in Jazz and Commercial Music Subtotal: 62 Credits
Music Core Courses - Credits:23
Jazz and Commercial Music Core Courses - Credits:23
Jazz and Commercial Music Ensembles and Combos - Credits: 16
Students must enroll in two ensembles each semester for 8 semesters.
Areas of Concentration-Subtotal: 22-24 Credits
Must choose at least one.
Composition Concentration Requirements - Credits: 24
Instrumental Performance Concentration Requirements - Credits: 22
Vocal Performance Concentration Requirements - Credits: 24