Aug 14, 2022
Theatre Arts Major - Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Please see the UNLV College of Fine Arts - Department of Theatre web page at http://www.unlv.edu/theatre for information about department programs, faculty and facilities. Degree worksheets and 4/5 year plan for the major are available at https://www.unlv.edu/degree/ba-theatre-design-technology, https://www.unlv.edu/degree/ba-theatre-stage-screen-acting, and https://www.unlv.edu/degree/ba-theatre-studies.
Please see advising information at the UNLV College of Fine Arts Advising Center at www.unlv.edu/finearts/advising.
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org
- Communication Techniques- visual communication techniques
- Production Skills- responsibility for a production aspect
- Academic Skills- writing, research, discussion
- Professional preparation- self marketing as is timely and appropriate in their program.
- The ability to study and analyze plays; an understanding of genre, style, and direction.
- An understanding of the contextual importance of theatre in the humanities, in the fine arts and part of the human experience.
- Research- Gather, interpret and communicate historic, interpretive, and conceptual ideas within the theatrical framework.
- Collaboration- Build verbal and written communication skills with all members of the collaborative design and production team.
University Graduation Requirements
Theatre Degree Requirements - Total: 120 Credits
General Education Requirements - Subtotal: 37-40 Credits
First-Year Seminar - Credits: 2-3
English Composition - Credits: 6
Second-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
Constitutions - Credits: 4-6
Distribution Requirements - Credits: 19
Please see Distribution Requirements for more information.
- Humanities and Fine Arts:
- Automatically satisfied by Major requirements
- Social Science: 9 credits
- One course each from three different fields
- Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking: 10 credits
- Two courses from Life and Physical Science; at least one course must have a lab
- Analytical Thinking 3 credit course
Multicultural and International
Multicultural, one 3 credit course required
International, one 3 credit course required
These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. A single course may not meet the multicultural and international requirements simultaneously. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: https://www.unlv.edu/provost/multicultural-requirements
Theatre Arts Major (BA) - Design and Technology Concentration - Subtotal: 54 Credits
General Electives: 26-29 Credits
At least 15 credits must be at the 300-400 level to complete Upper Division requirement. Many elective options are available within the College of Fine Arts and across the University. The elective options below may enhance Design/Technology concentration studies:
Theatre Arts Major (BA) - Stage and Screen Acting Concentration - Subtotal: 54 Credits
General Electives: 20-29 Credits
At least 6 credits must be at the 300-400 level to complete Upper Division requirement. Many elective options are available within the College of Fine Arts and across the University. The elective options below may enhance SSA concentration studies:
Theatre Arts Major (BA) - Theatre Studies Concentration - Subtotal: 54 Credits
General Electives - Subtotal: 26-29 Credits
At least 12 credits must be at the 300-400 level to complete Upper Division requirement. The department offers a list of Theatre electives that can augment studies in the major.