Dec 09, 2022
Department of Sociology Major - Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Please see the UNLV Department of Sociology web page at www.unlv.edu/sociology/admissions for information about department programs, faculty, and facilities. Degree worksheets and 4/5 year plan for the major are available at https://www.unlv.edu/degree/ba-sociology.
Please see advising information at the UNLV Department of Sociology Undergraduate Advising at liberalarts.unlv.edu/WAC/
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org
The sociology graduate will have knowledge of:
- the key concepts, debates, and trends in sociology
- the major sociological paradigms and theories
- the variety of methods used in sociological research
Sociology students will be able to:
- Show evidence of the development of a sociological imagination by applying sociological knowledge in their own projects—whether intellectual, personal, and/or political.
- Exhibit confidence in expressing ideas orally and in writing.
University Graduation Requirements
Sociology Degree Requirements - Total: 120 Credits
General Education Requirements - Subtotal: 36-38 Credits
First-Year Seminar - Credits: 2-3
English Composition - Credits: 6
Second-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
Constitutions - Credits: 4
Distribution Requirement: Credits: 18-19
Please see Distribution Requirements for more information.
- Humanities and Fine Arts: 9 credits
- Two 3-credit courses in the humanities
- One 3-credit course in fine arts.
- Social Science
- Automatically satisfied by Major requirement
- Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking - 9-10 credits
- Two courses from life and physical sciences category; at least one must have a lab.
- Analytical Thinking - 3 credits
Multicultural and International
Multicultural, one 3 credit course required
International, one 3 credit course required
These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. A single course may not meet the multicultural and international requirements simultaneously. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: http://facultysenate.unlv.edu/students
Major Requirements - BA in Sociology - Subtotal: 82-84 Credits
(see note 1 and 2 below)
Degree Requirements: 18
Social Science - Credits: 9
Fine Arts - Credits: 3
Foreign Language/Foreign Culture - Credits: 6
- Unless otherwise specified, either or serves as a prerequisite for all other sociology courses at the 200-, 300-, or 400- level.
- See the department or the Wilson Advising Center for a list of courses that meet the College of Liberal Arts and the University curriculum requirements.