Aug 18, 2022
Social Work Major - Bachelor of Science in Social Work (BSW)
Please see the School of Social Work web page at www.unlv.edu/socialwork for information about department programs, faculty and facilities. Degree worksheets and 4/5 year plans for the major are available at www.unlv.edu/degree/bsw
Please see advising information at the School of Social Work Undergraduate Advising at www.unlv.edu/urbanaffairs/advising
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org
Program - The Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) www.cswe.org/Accreditation.aspx
CSWE Practice Competencies/Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate ethical and professional behavior.
- Engage diversity and difference in practice.
- Advance human rights and social, economic, and environmental justice.
- Engage in practice-informed research and research-informed practice.
- Engage in policy practice.
- Engage with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
- Assess individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
- Intervene with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
- Evaluate practice with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
University Graduation Requirements
Social Work Degree Requirements - Total: 120 Credits
Recommended Courses That Meet General Education Core Requirements
The Greenspun College of Urban Affairs strongly recommends that students address their General Education Core curriculum requirements through our college. The following classes offered in our college meet graduation requirements.
Life and Physical Science
General Education Requirements - Subtotal: 46-56 Credits
First-Year Seminar - Credits: 2-3
English Composition - Credits: 6
Second-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
Constitutions - Credits: 4-6
Distribution Requirement - Credits: 28-29
Please see Distribution Requirements for more information.
- Humanities and Fine Arts: 9 credits
- COM 101 and one additional Humanities course - 6 credits
- One course in Fine Arts - 3 credits
- Social Science: 9 credits
- ANTH 101, PSY 101, SOC 101
- Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking: 10-11 credits
- BIOL 100 plus one additional Science course with or without lab - 7-8 credits
- Analytical Thinking 3 credit course
Multicultural and International
Multicultural, one 3 credit course required
International, one 3 credit course required
These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. A single course may not meet the multicultural and international requirements simultaneously. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: facultysenate.unlv.edu/students
Major Requirements - BSW in Social Work Major Requirements - Subtotal Credits: 46
Social Work Electives - Credits: 3
Additional Requirements - Credits: 9
Select one from the following:
ECON 180 preferred.
General Electives - Credits: 6-16
- In keeping with the Council on Social Work Education’s (CSWE) accreditation standards, academic credit for life experience and previous work experience is not given.
- In satisfying the University General Education Core requirements, all social work majors must take:
Social sciences: , , , Mathematics: , Sciences: ,