Mar 21, 2023
Public Health Major - Bachelor of Science (BS)
Please see the Public Health web page at unlv.edu/degree/bs-public-health for information about department programs, faculty and facilities. Degree worksheets and 4/5 year plan for the major are available at https://www.unlv.edu/degree/bs-public-health.
Please see advising information at the Public Health Undergraduate Advising at https://www.unlv.edu/publichealth/advising
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org
Program – Council on Education for Public Health www.unlv.edu/publichealth/accreditation
University: UNLV’s University Undergraduate Learning Outcomes are designed to allow all students to:
- Demonstrate general academic literacy, including how to respond to the needs of audiences and to different kinds of rhetorical situations, analyze and evaluate reasons and evidence, and construct research-based arguments.
- Function effectively in diverse groups.
Public Health: The Public Health Program and the program’s public health national accreditation concepts guide students to develop and show proficiency to:
- Advocate for protection and promotion of the public’s health at all levels of society
- Act on ethical decision making related to self and society
- Participate in networking
- Develop a professional foundation based on the science of the field
- Demonstrate proficiency in research methods
University Graduation Requirements
Public Health Degree Requirements - Total: 120 Credits
General Education Requirements - Subtotal: 37-38 Credits
First-Year Seminar - Credits: 2-3
English Composition - Credits: 6
Second-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
(see note 1)
Constitutions - Credits: 4
Distribution Requirement - Credits: 19
Please see Distribution Requirements for more information.
- Humanities and Fine Arts: 9 Credits
- Social Science: 9 Credits
- Automatically satisfied by Major requirements (see note 2 below)
- Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking: 10 Credits
Multicultural and International
(see note 3 & 4 below)
Multicultural, one 3 credit course required
International, one 3 credit course required
These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. A single course may not meet the multicultural and international requirements simultaneously. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: http://facultysenate.unlv.edu/students.
Major Requirements - BS in Public Health - Subtotal: 67 Credits
Public Health Major Core Requirements - Credits: 58
(see note 6 below)
Culminating Experience - Credits: 7
General Electives - Credits: Up to 16
The number of general electives necessary for each student varies based on how many credits a student uses to satisfy the requirements identified above. The minimum number of degree-applicable credits required to earn a degree is 120.
- is recommended for Public Health Majors.
- The Social Science requirement can be fulfilled by any three PBH courses or by a Social Science minor.
- The Multicultural requirement is fulfilled by . This is a required class for Public Health majors.
- The International requirement is fulfilled by . This is a required class for Public Health majors.
- Student must have earned 30 credits of 300 and 400 level courses upon graduation. A minimum of 2 credits of electives must be taken at the 300 level or higher in order to meet the 30 credits of upper division.
- Students must pass PBH 202 , PBH 205 , PBH 210 , PBH 360 and PBH 365 with a minimum of 2.75 GPA.