Mar 29, 2023
Return to: Programs
Multidisciplinary Studies Major- Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Please see the UNLV College of Liberal Arts, Multidisciplinary Studies web page at www.unlv.edu/interdisciplinary/multidisciplinary-studies for information about department programs, faculty and facilities. Degree worksheets and 4/5 year plan for the major are available at https://www.unlv.edu/degree/ba-multidisciplinary-studies.
Please see advising information at the UNLV Wilson Advising Center at www.unlv.edu/liberalarts/wac.
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org
- Design and complete an individualized and interdisciplinary course of study not currently offered at UNLV.
- Identify connections between academic disciplines and engage in interdisciplinary problem-solving.
- Articulate and apply interdisciplinary theories, research methods, and critical perspectives incorporating at least two academic disciplines.
- Communicate ideas in written and oral form.
- Demonstrate competency in relevant communication technologies.
- Build an intellectual foundation to support continuous learning.
University Graduation Requirements
Multidisciplinary Degree Requirements - Total: 120 Credits
(see notes 1-2 below)
General Education Requirements - Subtotal: 37-41 Credits
(see note 3 below)
First-Year Seminar - Credits: 2-3
English Composition - Credits: 6
Second-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
Constitutions - Credits: 4-6
Mathematics - Credits: 3
MATH 120 or above
Distribution Requirement - Credits 19-20
Please see Distribution Requirements for more information.
- Humanities and Fine Arts: 9 Credits
- Two courses 3 credits each from two different humanities areas - 6 credits
- One course in fine arts- 3 credits
- Social Science
- Automatically satisfied by Major requirements
- Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking: 10-11 credits
- Two courses from life and physical sciences category; at least one must have a lab.
- Analytical Thinking 3 credit course
Multicultural and International
Multicultural, one 3 credit course required
International, one 3 credit course required
These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. A single course may not meet the multicultural and international requirements simultaneously. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: http://facultysenate.unlv.edu/students.
Major Requirements - BA in Multidisciplinary Studies - Subtotal: 66 Credits
(see notes 4-5 below)
COLA Requirements - 21 Credits
Social Sciences - Credits: 9
Fine Arts - Credits: 6
Foreign Languages/Foreign Culture - Credits: 6
Multidisciplinary Studies Major Requirements - 45 Credits
Core Requirements: 9 credits
General Electives - Credits: 13-17
1. A minimum of 42 upper-division hours are required for the completion of the degree.
2. In order to successfully complete their degree, students must obtain a C or better in all IDS courses.
3. No courses counted towards the General Education core can be applied to the areas of study, except for the multicultural or international requirement.
4. It is strongly recommended that courses in the areas of study are completed prior to taking IDS 495. Students can take summer courses and still walk in the May graduation as long as they do not take any IDS courses or any courses to be used in the areas of study.
5. A student can use a maximum of three credits of private lessons toward an area of study. A student may apply up to a maximum of four physical activity credits combined (PEX) as electives for graduation.
6. Students who choose Option A must complete two areas of study with a minimum of 18 credits in each. A minimum of 15 credits in each area of study must be selected from upper-division courses.
7. Students who choose Option B must complete three areas of study with a minimum of 12 credits in each. A minimum of 9 credits in each area of study must be selected from upper-division courses.
Return to: Programs