Sep 27, 2023
Psychology Major- Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Please see the UNLV College of Liberal Arts, Psychology Department web page at unlv.edu/psychology for information about department programs, faculty and facilities. Degree worksheets and 4/5 year plan for the major are available at https://www.unlv.edu/degree/ba-psychology.
Please see advising information at the UNLV Wilson Advising Center at www.liberalarts.unlv.edu/WAC/.
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org
- Students will demonstrate broad knowledge of the major theories and findings from the various sub-disciplines of psychological science.
- Students will be able to conduct and interpret the types of statistical analyses used in psychological research.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the methods of psychological research by proposing research studies and critiquing methods that are used in psychological research studies
- Students will present their knowledge of psychological theory, statistical analyses, and research methods through clear written (APA-style research paper) and verbal (oral presentation) communication.
- Students will demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the research theories and findings in the foundation areas of study in psychological science (e.g., Physiological, Perception, Cognition, Development, Abnormal, and Social).
University Graduation Requirements
Psychology Degree Requirements - Total: 120 Credits
General Education Requirements - Subtotal: 38-45 Credits
First-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
English Composition - Credits: 6
Second-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
Constitutions - Credits: 4
Distribution Requirement - Credits: 19-20
Please see Distribution Requirements for more information.
- Humanities and Fine Arts: 9 credits
- Social Science:
- Automatically satisfied by Major requirements
- Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking: 9-10 credits
- Two courses from Life and Physical Science
- One of which must include either:
- Analytical Thinking
Multicultural and International - (0-6 due to double dip)
Multicultural, one 3 credit course required
International, one 3 credit course required
These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. A single course may not meet the multicultural and international requirements simultaneously. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: http://facultysenate.unlv.edu/students.
Major Requirements - BA in Psychology - Subtotal: 54 Credits
(see note 1 below)
General Electives - Total Credits: 21-28
- No more than 11 of the 36 required credits in the required psychology courses may be lower division (100-200). All psychology course work must be completed with a grade of C- or higher.
- The technology requirement will be satisfied through the completion of required courses, PSY 210 and PSY 240 .