Asian and Asian American Studies Major- Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Please see the UNLV College of Liberal Arts, Interdisciplinary Degrees web page at www.unlv.edu/interdisciplinary/ for information about department programs, faculty and facilities. Degree worksheets and 4/5 year plan for the major are available at https://www.unlv.edu/degree/ba-asian-studies.
Please see advising information at the UNLV Wilson Advising Center at www.liberalarts.unlv.edu/WAC/.
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org
- Acquire knowledge of the disciplines of Asian Studies and Asian American Studies.
- Demonstrate awareness of the wide range of Asian, Asian American, and Pacific Islander cultures and communities
- Recognize the historical and contemporary significance of Asia and the Pacific in world politics
- Demonstrate knowledge of the dynamic traditions and practices of one or more Asian, Asian American, and/or Pacific Islander groups
- Describe and analyze historical sources, literary texts, and popular and material culture of Asia, the Pacific, and Asian America.
- Demonstrate the ability to recognize and understand the complex political and economic relationships within Asia and the Pacific and the United States, as well as between other regions in an increasingly globalized world
University Graduation Requirements
Asian and Asian American Studies
The Asian and Asian American Studies program focuses on the dynamic social, cultural, political, linguistic, literary, artistic, and historical aspects Asian and Asian American life. The program’s transnational emphasis and research-intensive curriculum trains students in diverse areas of Asian, Pacific Islander, and Asian American communities, especially the historical experiences and contemporary practices and lifeways of Chinese, Filipino, Indian, Japanese, Korean, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, Thai, Vietnamese, indigenous Hawaiian, and other Asian/Pacific Islanders. The degree prepares students for careers in government and teaching, as well as in areas of international business, law, consulting, tourism, and media.