Jun 10, 2023
Return to: UNLV Graduate Programs
The Master of Science – Accounting is a professional degree designed to enhance the skills of those planning careers in accounting. The program of study includes training in advanced accounting topics such as auditing, financial accounting, accounting systems, and taxation. The Master of Science -Accounting requires a minimum of 30 credit hours above the bachelor’s degree.
The A.A.C.S.B. - International Association for Management Education accredits the Master of Science – Accounting. The Nevada State Board of Accountancy requires 150 hours of college credits from a college or university approved by the State Board of Accountancy. In combination with an undergraduate degree, the 30 hours required by the Accounting M.S. program should satisfy these requirements.
For more information about your program, including your graduate program handbook and learning outcomes please visit the Degree Directory.
Plan Admission Requirements
Applications available on the UNLV Graduate College website.
Each student must satisfy the following requirements for admission into the Master of Science –Accounting:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum GPA of 3.00 or higher on a 4.00 scale.
- Students must have satisfactorily completed introductory financial accounting.
- A minimum GMAT score of 550 and a minimum score in the 25th percentile or higher on Verbal and a minimum score in the 25th percentile or higher on Quantitative.
- The GMAT may be waived for UNLV accounting students who have a 3.25 GPA in the core accounting courses (ACC 400, 401, 402, 405, 409, 410 and 470) or equivalent.
- Compliance with the Graduate College admission standards.
Students who have not completed all the following courses (or equivalent courses) as part of their bachelor’s degree may be required to complete them as a condition of their admission prior to graduation from the Master of Science – Accounting:
Note: These courses will not count toward the 30 credits required for the Master of Science – Accounting.
All domestic and international applicants must review and follow the Graduate College Admission and Registration Requirements.
Students are accepted into a degree program as described in the Graduate Catalog. The faculty and corresponding sub-disciplines and sub-plans within the described programs are subject to change at any time.
Total Credits Required: 30
Accounting Courses – Credits: 15
Complete five 700-level Accounting (ACC) courses.
Elective Courses – Credits: 12
Complete four graduate level Accounting or Non-Accounting elective courses from approved list.
Capstone Course – Credits: 3
Select one of the following courses based on the area of the accounting profession you wish to pursue:
- A minimum of 18 credits must be taken within Accounting.
- A minimum of 18 credits must be in 700-level courses.
- A maximum of 12 credits may be taken outside of Accounting.
- The student and the department graduate program coordinator will design each degree program.
- Students seeking a Master of Science – Accounting must comply with all general university requirements as outlined in the Graduate Catalog. In addition, the above requirements must be satisfied, and exceptions or modifications of the program and requirements must be approved by the Graduate Coordinator.
Plan Graduation Requirements
The student must submit all required forms to the Graduate College and then apply for graduation up to two semesters prior to completing his/her degree requirements.
Return to: UNLV Graduate Programs