Jun 26, 2022
The Graduate Certificate Program in Teacher Licensure is offered by the School of Music for students who have already completed a Master of Music degree. Like the Master of Music Graduate Licensure Program (GLP) the certificate program will be advised by the Music Education Coordinator; the majority of coursework is offered in the School of Music/College of Fine Arts. This program allows for the School of Music to meet the needs of Master of Music degree students seeking state teacher licensure requirements and provides for a stronger program than would be available through the state Alternate Licensure Program (ALP).
The Graduate Certificate Program in Teacher Licensure offers coursework that is required for licensure by the State of Nevada not available or required for Master of Music degrees in Performance, Music Education, Composition, or Conducting. The certificate will also include coursework enabling students to complete licensure requirements without obtaining a second Master of Music degree.
For more information about your program, including your graduate program handbook and learning outcomes, please visit the Degree Directory.
Plan Admission Requirements
Applications available on the UNLV Graduate College website.
- Students must have an earned Bachelor’s degree with overall GPA of 2.75 or above in a Comprehensive Subject Area (Vocal/General or Instrumental).
- Content coursework related to general music core for music majors that mirrors the music education majors must be on transcript (music theory, music history, conducting, piano, private instruction and ensembles.)
- Passing scores in reading, writing, and mathematics on the Praxis I Pre-Professional Skills Test examination.
- Passing scores on the Music Theory and Music History entrance examinations.
- Passing scores on the Teacher Licensure Examinations for Nevada School Law, Nevada Constitution and U.S. Constitution or related coursework.
- Documentation of immunizations with UNLV Admissions and Records.
- Field-based experiences (practicum and student teaching) require fingerprinting in compliance with the Clark County School District (CCSD) policy.
All applicants must review and follow the Graduate College Admission and Registration Requirements.
Students are accepted into a certificate program as described in the Graduate Catalog. The faculty and corresponding sub-disciplines and sub-plans within the described programs are subject to change at any time.
Total Credits Required: 43
Required Courses – Credits: 39
Conducting Course – Credits: 3
Complete one of the following courses:
Culminating Experience – Credits: 1
Completion of a minimum of 43 credit hours with a minimum GPA of 3.00.
Plan Certificate Completion Requirements
The student must submit all required forms to the Graduate College and then apply for graduation in MyUNLV by the appropriate deadline.