Oct 24, 2021
Please see the UNLV Department of Physics web page at www.physics.unlv.edu/ for information about department programs, faculty and facilities.
Please see advising information at the College of Science Student Advising Center email@example.com
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org
- Understanding of classical mechanics
- Understanding of electricity and magnetism
- Understanding of thermodynamics
- Understanding of modern physics and quantum mechanics
- Ability to perform modern laboratory experiments
- Ability to perform an independent physics research project and give a public talk on this project
- Ability to communicate scientific subject matter
- Understanding and ability to communicate the importance of physics to society
- Ability to solve critical and fundamental problems in undergraduate physics
- Ability and confidence to think independently
University Graduation Requirements
Physics Degree Requirements - Total: 120 Credits
General Education Requirements - Subtotal: 33-36 Credits
First Year Seminar - Credits: 2-3
(see note 1 below)
English Composition - Credits: 6
Second Year Seminar - Credits: 3
Constitutions - Credits: 4-6
Distribution Requirement - Credits: 18
Please see Distribution Requirements for more information.
- Humanities and Fine Arts: 9 credits
- Two 3-credit courses in the humanities and one 3-credit course in fine arts.
- Social Science:
- One course each from three different fields
- Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking - 9 credits
- Automatically satisfied by Major requirements.
Multicultural and International
Multicultural, one 3 credit course required
International, one 3 credit course required
These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. A single course may not meet the multicultural and international requirements simultaneously. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: http://facultysenate.unlv.edu/students.
Major Requirements - BS in Physics - Subtotal: 77 Credits
Physics Core Requirements - Credits: 48
Related Core Requirements - Credits: 36
Major Degree Requirements - BS in Physics - Applied Physics Concentration - Subtotal: 73-75 Credits
Physics Core Requirements - Credits 33
Related Core Requirements - Credits 39
Electives - Credits: 9-14
Major Degree Requirements - BS in Physics - Computational Physics Concentration - Subtotal: 77 Credits
Physics Core Requirements - Credits 39
Related Core Requirements - Credits 38
Electives - Credits: 7-10
- It is strongly recommended that students take SCI 101 to satisfy the First Year Seminar requirement.
- The Department of Physics and Astronomy recommends that students take PHYS 422 and PHYS 424 for the six additional credits of upper-division physics courses needed in the Physics Core Requirements.