Oct 26, 2021
Gender and Sexuality Studies Major- Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Please see the UNLV College of Liberal Arts, Interdisciplinary, Gender and Ethnic Studies web page at https://www.unlv.edu/interdisciplinary/gender-sexuality-studies for information about department programs, faculty and facilities.
Please see advising information at the UNLV Wilson Advising Center at www.liberalarts.unlv.edu/WAC/.
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org
Gender and Sexuality Studies Student Learning Outcomes
- Engage in constructive discussion and demonstrate knowledge of gender and sexuality’s relationship to social justice and diversity issues.
- Apply broad knowledge of the intersectionality of social categories/lived experiences, including but not limited to gender, race, class, sexuality, ability, and nationality.
- Identify the relationship between privilege and oppression on both individual and systemic levels.
- Analyze women, gender, and sexuality from a cultural and institutional perspective.
- Develop knowledge about feminist perspectives, including the following.
a. Identify feminist theories
b. Apply feminist research methods and ethics
c. Interpret evidence from a feminist perspective
6. Produce feminist research that integrates the praxis of local and global activism for the purpose of social change.
University Graduation Requirements
Gender and Sexuality Studies Degree Requirements - Total: 120 Credits
(See note 1 below)
General Education Requirements - Subtotal: 36-38 Credits
First-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
English Composition - Credits: 6
Second-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
Constitutions - Credits: 4
Distribution Requirement - Credits:18-19
Please see Distribution Requirements for more information.
- Humanities and Fine Arts: 9 Credits
- Two courses 3 credits each from two different humanities areas - 6 credits
- One course in fine arts- 3 credits
- Social Science
- Automatically satisfied by Major requirements
- Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking: 9-10 credits
- Two courses from life and physical sciences category; at least one must have a lab
- Analytical Thinking - 3 credits
Multicultural and International
Multicultural, one 3 credit course required
International, one 3 credit course required
These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. A single course may not meet the multicultural and international requirements simultaneously. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: http://facultysenate.unlv.edu/students
Major Degree Requirements - Gender and Sexuality - Subtotal: 55 Credits
(see note 2-4 below)
Electives - Credits: 27-29
- All Gender and Sexuality Studies course work must be completed with a grade of C or higher.
- Students may satisfy up to six credits of the 21 required credits of WMST electives through study abroad. Only courses approved in advance by the Director of Gender and Sexuality Studies or the undergraduate advisor may be used in fulfillment of requirements for the Women’s Studies major or minor.
- Students should consult advisers to plan their schedules early in their UNLV careers because most Gender and Sexuality Studies courses are offered only once annually. and are both pre-requisites for and . and are both pre-requisites for WMST 497. If possible, we recommend you plan on taking before taking . We also recommend taking immediately after : in the Fall of your senior year, and in the Spring of your senior year.
- Recommended sequence for core major and minor requirements: , , , ,