Oct 27, 2021
Latin American Studies Major- Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Please see the UNLV College of Liberal Arts, Latin American Studies web page at www.unlv.edu/interdisciplinary/latin-american-studies for information about department programs, faculty and facilities.
Please see advising information at the UNLV Wilson Advising Center at www.liberalarts.unlv.edu/WAC/.
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org
- A multidisciplinary understanding of the history, politics, economics, and culture of Latin America.
- Knowledge of the literature and creative works of the region, from the pre-Colombian period to the present.
- A capacity to summarize and evaluate critically theories and concepts used in the analysis of the history, politics, and economic development of Latin America.
- Writing and research skills, including an ability to develop a research question, review the relevant research literature, collect information and data from a variety of sources, and support an argument with evidence and data.
- Proficiency in Spanish (reading, writing and oral proficiency), and knowledge of the regional varieties of Spanish.
- Awareness of cultural diversity in Latin America, the U.S., and other parts of the world.
University Graduation Requirements
Please see Graduation Policies for complete information
Latin American Studies Degree Requirements - Total: 120 Credits
General Education Requirements - Subtotal: 36-40 Credits
First-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
English Composition - Credits: 6
Second-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
Constitutions - Credits: 4-6
Distribution Requirement - Credits: 18-19
Please see Distribution Requirements for more information.
- Humanities and Fine Arts: 9 credits
- Two 3-credit courses in the humanities and one 3-credit course in fine arts.
- Social Science:
- Automatically satisfied by Major requirement
- Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking - 9-10 credits
Multicultural and International
Multicultural, one 3 credit course required
International, one 3 credit course required
These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. A single course may not meet the multicultural and international requirements simultaneously. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: http://facultysenate.unlv.edu/students.
Major Requirements - BA in Latin American Studies - Subtotal: 54 Credits
Social Science - Credits: 9
Fine Arts - Credits: 3
Foreign Language/Foreign Culture - Credits: 6
(see note 2 below)
Electives - Credits: 25-27
- A semester or year at a Latin American university or extensive field work in a Latin American country is strongly recommended.
- In addition to the foreign language requirements of the College of Liberal Arts, two years of Spanish language courses or the equivalent knowledge established by examination are required.