Oct 23, 2021
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog ARCHIVED CATALOG: CONTENT MAY NOT BE CURRENT. USE THE DROP DOWN ABOVE TO ACCESS THE CURRENT CATALOG.
Earth and Environmental Science Major - Bachelor of Science (BS)
Please see the UNLV College of Science, Department of Geoscience web page at http://geoscience.unlv.edu for information about department programs, faculty and facilities.
Please see advising information at the UNLV College of Science at www.unlv.edu/sciences/advising.
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org
- Demonstrate the ability to recognize, formulate, employ, and interpret the scientific methodology
- Demonstrate the knowledge of major rock types, geologic time, evolution, and earth history events
- Demonstrate the knowledge in various specializations within the field of earth science to solve appropriate research or applied problems.
- Demonstrate the ability to function independently, collaboratively, and ethically with others in the profession as colleagues and supervisors
- Demonstrate the written and verbal communications skills required to convey contemporary theories in earth science and in how the Earth operates as a system
- Demonstrate sufficient skills in computers and multi-media systems for the application and presentation in earth science
University Graduation Requirements
Earth and Environmental Science Degree Requirements - Total: 120 Credits
General Education Requirements - Subtotal: 33-36 Credits
First-Year Seminar - Credits: 2-3
(see note 1 below)
English Composition - Credits: 6
Second-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
Constitutions - Credits: 4-6
Mathematics - Credits: (Fulfilled by Major Requirements)
Distribution Requirement: Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking
Please see Distribution Requirements for more information.
- Humanities and Fine Arts: 9 Credits
- Two courses 3 credits each from two different humanities areas - 6 credits
- One course in fine arts- 3 credits
- Social Science: 9 Credits
- One course each from three different fields.
- Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking:
- Automatically satisfied by Major requirement
Multicultural and International
Multicultural, one 3 credit course required
International, one 3 credit course required
These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. A single course may not meet the multicultural and international requirements simultaneously. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: http://facultysenate.unlv.edu/students
Major Requirements - BS in Earth and Environmental Science - Subtotal: 89-92
- It is strongly recommended that students take SCI 101 to satisfy the First Year Seminar requirement.
- Students must complete 40 upper-division credits (satisfied by the degree requirements in the major).