Asian Studies Major- Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Please see the UNLV College of Liberal Arts, Interdisciplinary Degrees web page at www.unlv.edu/interdisciplinary/ for information about department programs, faculty and facilities.
Please see advising information at the UNLV Wilson Advising Center at www.liberalarts.unlv.edu/WAC/.
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org
- Acquire knowledge of the discipline of Asian Studies.
- Demonstrate awareness of the wide range of Asian cultures
- Recognize the historical and contemporary importance of Asia in world politics
- Demonstrate knowledge of the philosophical traditions of one or more Asian cultures
- Describe and analyze literary texts and artifacts of an Asian culture
- Demonstrate the ability to recognize and understand the complex political and economic relationships within Asia and between Asia and other regions in an increasingly globalized world
University Graduation Requirements
The Asian Studies program focuses on the distinctive cultural, political, linguistic, literary, artistic, and historical aspects of Asian and Asian-American life. Students are trained in diverse areas of Asian civilization, especially the traditions and contemporary societies of China, India, Japan, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Thailand, and Philippines, and other Asian countries. The degree prepares students for careers in government and teaching, as well as in areas of international business, consulting, and media.