Dec 08, 2022
Political Science Major- Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Please see the UNLV College of Liberal Arts, Interdisciplinary Degrees web page at liberalarts.unlv.edu/Political_Science/ for information about department programs, faculty and facilities.
Please see advising information at the UNLV Wilson Advising Center at www.liberalarts.unlv.edu/WAC/.
Institution - Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities www.nwccu.org
- Use critical reasoning skills for problem solving.
- Write persuasively so as to articulate, support, and defend an argument.
- Apply the research process in the social sciences so as to differentiate between normative and empirical perspectives, comprehend the difference between deterministic and probabilistic outcomes, and assess the strengths and weaknesses of the major analytical approaches used in applied research (e.g., quantitative, qualitative, formal).
- Consume and understand sophisticated information communicated through the media and scholarly writing.
- Fulfill the obligations and expectations of citizenship in a democratic society.
- Explain how political outcomes are shaped by the of the interplay between preferences and institutions.
- Describe the multiple motivations and constraints that underlie and shape political behavior.
- Explain how outcomes in the political and social world are affected by the multiple causal factors.
- Describe how multiculturalism shapes international political exchanges and outcomes.
University Graduation Requirements
Degree Requirements - Total: 120 Credits
(See Note 1 below)
General Education Requirements - Subtotal: 36-40 Credits
First-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
English Composition - Credits: 6
Second-Year Seminar - Credits: 3
Constitutions - Credits: 4-6
Distribution Requirement: Credits 18-19
Please see Distribution Requirements for more information.
- Humanities and Fine Arts: 9 Credits
- Two courses 3 credits each from two different humanities areas - 6 credits
- One course in fine arts- 3 credits
- Social Science
- Automatically satisfied by Major requirements
- Life and Physical Sciences and Analytical Thinking: 9-10 credits
- Two courses from life and physical sciences category; at least one must have a lab.
- Analytical Thinking - 3 credits
Multicultural and International
Multicultural, one 3 credit course required
International, one 3 credit course required
These courses may overlap with general education and major requirements. A single course may not meet the multicultural and international requirements simultaneously. For the list of approved multicultural and international courses, go to: http://facultysenate.unlv.edu/students
Major Requirements - BA in Political Science - Subtotal: 64 Credits
Social Science - Credits: 9
Fine Arts - Credits: 3
Foreign Languages/Foreign Culture - Credits: 6
Electives - Credits: 18-20
At least 12 of which must be in upper-division courses.
- All political science courses must be completed with a grade of C- or higher to be counted towards the degree program in Political Science.
- PSC 200 and PSC 302 must be taken to satisfy the Milestone Experience Requirement.