Sep 21, 2023
Student Teaching in Elementary Education Program:
Applications for student teaching must be filed the semester preceding the student teaching semester. Approval for a student teaching placement is contingent upon:
- Admission to C&I.
- Completion of all program of study course requirements except EDEL 405 (ICE 460) and EDEL 481 , EDEL 483 or EDEL 485 (ICE 468) with a grade point average of 2.75 or higher and no grade below C.
- Filing of a completed C&I student teaching application by the announced deadline.
- Recommendation of the Department of C&I.
Student teaching is a full-time, full-semester experience in an elementary classroom. It involves a mandatory, on-campus orientation; observation and supervised teaching during which the student gradually assumes classroom teaching responsibilities; regularly scheduled observations and evaluations by the classroom teacher who serves as cooperating teacher and by the assigned university supervisor; and weekly student teaching seminar sessions or EDEL 405 (ICE 460). Because student teaching is a full-time responsibility, outside employment during that time is strongly discouraged, and the student may enroll in no courses other than EDEL 405 (ICE 460) and EDEL 481 , EDEL 483 , or EDEL 485 (ICE 468) without department approval.
English Composition - Total Credits: 6
English Literature - Total Credits: 3
Constitutions - Total Credits: 3-6
Mathematics - Total Credits: 3
Distribution Requirements Social Science
Multicultural and International
(see note 6 below)
Additional Degree Requirements
Education Core Requirements - Total Credits: 16
Elementary Program Requirements - Total Credits: 48
Field Experiences - Total Credits: 21
Electives - Total Credits: 0
- The following 12 credits of science are prerequisites to EDEL 443: BIOL 100, GEOG 101 and 104, and CHEM 105 and 106. Therefore, it is in the student’s best interest to take these courses to fulfill the science requirement.
- EDU 201 (ICE 201), EDU 214E and EDU 280 (ICG 280) may be taken prior to passing PRAXIS I.
- EDEL 311 (ICE 451) Elementary School Methods Practicum I requires application in the Field Placement Office prior to semester, admission to the elementary education program, and concurrent enrollment in at least one methods course.
- EDEL 405 and 481 are taken concurrently.
- EDEL 313 Elementary School Methods Practicum II requires application in the Field Placement Office prior to semester, admission to Elementary Education Program, concurrent enrollment in at least one methods course, and successful completion of EDEL 311.
- EDU 280 (ICG 280) fulfills the multicultural requirement in the general education core. This course, EDU 280 (ICG 280), is also a requirement for the College of Education core. Courses satisfying the international requirement may simultaneously fulfill another requirement.