Jan 21, 2022  
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog 

Greenspun College of Urban Affairs

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Schools & Departments

The world is experiencing its highest rate of urbanization.  As a result, cities are experiencing rapid change, challenges, and opportunities.  There is a need for safe, resilient communities, effective government and policy, civil discourse, effective and ethical journalism, healthy families, and effective urban support structures for behavioral and/or mental health needs.  Undergraduate and graduate students in the Greenspun College of Urban Affairs are encouraged to learn about urban contexts through their coursework, research, and practice.  By learning through cutting edge curriculum, engaging in community partnerships, and interacting with a high quality faculty, students have the opportunity to develop solutions for individuals, families, and urban communities.

–Robert Ulmer, Dean, Greenspun College of Urban Affairs

The Greenspun College of Urban Affairs currently houses*:

Three Bachelor of Arts degrees in:
Communication Studies
Criminal Justice
Journalism and Media Studies

One Bachelor of Science degree in:
Urban Studies

One Bachelor of Social Work degree in:
Social Work

Five minors in:
Brookings Public Policy
Communication Studies
Criminal Justice
Family Studies
Journalism and Media Studies

Two Ph.D. programs in:
Public Affairs

Four M. A. degrees in:
Communication Studies
Criminal Justice
Journalism and Media Studies
Urban Leadership

One M.S. degree in:
Marriage and Family Therapy

Two professional master degrees in:
Public Administration (MPA)
Social Work (MSW)

Two executive master degrees in:
Criminal Justice
Crisis and Emergency Management

Three graduate certificate programs in:
Non-profit Management
Public Management
Emergency Crisis Management Cybersecurity

A Dual Master and Professional Degree
Master of Social Work (MSW) and Juris Doctorate (JD)

One Institute
MGM Resorts Public Policy Institute

* Contact respective program coordinators regarding current degree and curriculum offerings.

Admission Policies

Students are admitted to degree programs offered by the departments and schools in the college; thus, admission requirements vary and prospective students should consult departmental/school requirements in the appropriate sections. The Greenspun College of Urban Affairs has an overall cumulative 2.00 grade point average entrance and graduation requirement. Individual departments and schools within the Greenspun College of Urban Affairs may have specific requirements for their majors.

Transfer Policies

Students should refer to the Student Advising Center for the specific articulation of transfer credit. University policies require that a candidate for the bachelor’s degree must complete the last 30 semester credits in uninterrupted residence as a major in the college from which the degree is expected.

College Policies

Academic Requirements

All majors in Greenspun College of Urban Affairs are required to take Civic Engagement in Urban Communities 

 . This course also meets the second-year seminar general education requirement.


Students whose cumulative GPA falls below a 2.00 will be put on university probation.
Students should consult with the Student Advising Center regarding the college’s processing for the university’s probation policy and for the procedure for reinstatement following university suspension.


Upon acceptance as a major or minor, each student must meet with an advisor from the Greenspun College of Urban Affairs’ Student Advising Center. To ensure timely progress and completion of degree requirements students should meet with an advisor once a semester. Upon acceptance as a pre-major or major and at least once a year thereafter, students should contact the Greenspun College of Urban Affairs’ Student Advising Center at 702-895-1009 to set up an advising appointment.

Curricular decisions must be made through consultation with an advisor. Decisions about the appropriate courses in related areas must be approved.

Transfer students are required to consult with an academic advisor within the first semester after admission to the department. This initial advising session will determine to what extent those credits accepted by the university will be accepted as part of the major.

The Advising Center is located on the fourth floor of Greenspun Hall.


Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Schools & Departments