Jul 19, 2024  
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog 

Academic Policies

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Catalog Search

Click on any of the following links for information:

It is solely students’ responsibility to know and follow all university policies and procedures. Students must meet all relevant academic requirements before the University will grant a degree. Degree requirements are described in various sections of this catalog. Advisors and academic administrators are available to help students understand and arrange to meet these requirements; the student is responsible for knowing what requirements must be met and for completing them. At the end of any course of study, if requirements for graduation have not been satisfied, the degree will be withheld.

Institutional catalogs do not constitute contractual agreements or commitments.

Diversity Statement


As an institution of higher learning, UNLV represents a rich diversity of human beings among its faculty, staff, and students, and is committed to aspiring to maintain a Campus environment that values that diversity. Accordingly, the University supports understanding and appreciation of all members of its community, regardless of race, sex, age, color, national origin, ethnicity, creed, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, veteran status, or political affiliation. Please see the University Statements and Compliance page (https://www.unlv.edu/about/statements-compliance).

A successful learning experience requires mutual respect and trust between the students and the instructor. Accordingly, the instructor asks that students be willing to listen to one another’s points of view, acknowledging that there may be disagreements, keep discussion and comments on topic, and use first person, positive language when expressing their perspectives.

Student Classification


Degree-Seeking Student: Any person, subject to review and approval by the University, may be admitted into an undergraduate degree program for the purpose of attaining an accredited baccalaureate degree.

Non-Degree Seeking Student: Any person may apply as a non-degree seeking student for purposes of personal enrichment and/or professional development. A maximum of 24 credits earned while a non-degree seeking student may be applied toward a baccalaureate degree. International students may not receive an I-20 form to maintain F-1 visa status by enrolling as a non-degree student.

Student Standing: Student standing is determined by the number of semester hours a student has completed. The hours required for each classification appear below:

  • Freshman 29 or fewer credits
  • Sophomore 30-59
  • Junior 60-89
  • Senior 90 or more credits



Students are expected to complete registration activity online through MyUNLV. MyUNLV also includes registration instructions and the class schedule.

Each student must complete registration during the registration period, as specified on the academic calendar. Registration is not considered complete until all tuition and fees have been paid.

Unit of Credit: The unit of credit is the semester hour. One semester hour is generally defined as one hour of faculty instruction plus two hours of out-of-class student work per week for a 15-week semester. Two or three laboratory hours per week, depending on the amount of outside preparation required, usually carries the same credit as one lecture semester hour. Certain courses (e.g., studio courses) may require more or less in-class time than lecture-based courses, but the overall amount of time spent must be three hours per week for each unit of credit regardless of mode of instruction (e.g., face-to-face, online, hybrid). Departments and colleges are responsible for monitoring their class schedules each semester to ensure that their offerings meet appropriate minimums for instructional time, as defined by this policy and by prevailing standards in their academic disciplines.

Credit Hours of Enrollment Per Semester (Credit Load)

  • Full-time - 12 or more credits
  • Three-quarter-time – 9-11 credits
  • Half-Time - 6-8 credits
  • Below Half-time - 5 credits or less.

For summer semester, credit hours of enrollment are evaluated comprehensively.

Students who will claim veterans’ educational benefits should check with the Military and Veteran Services Center for information on how their enrollment status is reported to the VA.

Maximum Credit Hours of Enrollment:  For undergraduate degree-seeking, the maximum credits allowed during a fall or spring semester are 17 for freshmen level and 18 for sophomore, junior, and senior levels.

Undergraduate non-degree seeking students are limited to a maximum of 8 credits per semester with the exception of those students enrolled in UNLV-affiliated study abroad programs, in which case the maximum is 18 credits per semester.

The dean of a college or the Faculty Senate Academic Standards Committee may reduce the maximum credits allowed for a student’s registration to less than the normal maximum credit hours if the student failed to earn credit in any course the previous semester. Late registrants may also be subject to credit limitations.

Credit Hours for International Students: International students are required to register for and complete a full credit load (12 credits for undergraduates, nine credits for graduate students, and six for graduate assistants) each fall and spring semester to maintain their legal status as F-1 visa students with the Department of Homeland Security. International students may use only three credits of online course work towards the full credit load minimum. Federal regulations governing the full course load requirement also apply to the summer semester if it is the student’s first semester at UNLV.

Summer Credit Hours: Each summer term has its own maximum credit hours limit: 4 credits in term I and 7 credits each in term II and III.

Credit Overload for Any Semester: Students who wish to register for more than the maximum credit hours of enrollment must have the approval of their advisor and dean. Non-degree students seeking to enroll in more than 8 credits must have approval of the dean of the Academic Success Center.

Petition forms for credit overloads for any semester may be obtained from department offices and should be filed with the Office of the Registrar prior to registration.  Fall and spring petitions may also be submitted via email.

Excess Credits and Excess Credit Fees:  A 50 percent Excess Credit Fee on the per-credit registration fee shall be charged to a degree-seeking undergraduate student (resident and non-resident) who has accrued attempted credits equal to 150 percent of the credits required for the student’s program of study. The Excess Credit Fee shall be imposed on registration fees charged in subsequent semesters, including summer terms, where a student’s cumulative credit hour total exceeds 150 percent of the credits required for the student’s program of study. Please visit the Cashiering and Student Accounts web site for the current fee amount and for additional information.

Prerequisites: Course prerequisites are conditions that must be met before registering in a particular course. Prerequisites may include another course, a test score, a particular standing (junior, senior, etc.), and/or having declared a particular major.

Corequisites: Course corequisites are conditions that need to be met during the same semester that a course is being taken. In most cases, the corequisite is a lab or a discussion section. Students should enroll in the corequisite, if one exists, at the same time when attempting to enroll in the course itself.

Cancellation of Registration: The registration of a student who is ineligible to attend the university is subject to immediate cancellation.

The University also reserves the right to cancel the registration of a student whose attendance at the University, at the review of the appropriate administrative officials, would not be mutually beneficial to that person and to the University.

Cancellation of Courses: The University reserves the right to cancel any course in which the enrollment is insufficient to warrant the offering of the course or for reasons beyond the university’s control. The academic department offering the course will notify those registered of the cancellation.

Undergraduates Taking Graduate-Level Courses: Undergraduates who wish to enroll in graduate courses must have accumulated a minimum of 90 semester hours of credit (see unit of credit below), with a grade point average of at least 3.00. Undergraduate students admitted to the Honors College must have accumulated a minimum of 45 semester hours of credit with a grade point average of at least 3.00. All undergraduate students who wish to take a graduate-level course must complete an “Approval for an Undergraduate to Enroll in a Graduate (500 and above) Level Course” form, obtain the necessary signatures, and have it approved by the Graduate College prior to registration. No more than six hours of graduate-level courses will be allowed during one semester.

Administrative Drop: Course instructors may initiate an administrative drop of students for various reasons, including students’ failure to comply with established requirements or obstruction of class functioning. Instructors who initiate administrative drops will record circumstances. The approval of the dean of the college offering the course is required. Prior to a decision, the dean will consult with the student and other parties as appropriate.  A request for an administrative drop must be reviewed and processed by the Office of the Registrar.  It is the instructor or department’s responsibility to notify the student.  If the request for an administrative drop is not received by the last day to drop or withdraw, the student will be subject to a grade for the course. Deadlines and grades are the same as for a drop initiated by the student and are based on the date that the Office of the Registrar receives the drop request.

Students may appeal the administrative drop to the Faculty Senate Academic Standards Committee and the Executive Vice President and Provost. Serious cases of misconduct, as defined by the Rules and Disciplinary Procedures for Members of the University Community, will be referred to the administrative officer of the rules for appropriate action.

Late Registration: Late registration period begins on the first day of the semester and ends on the last day of the third week.  There are two different kinds of enrollment during the late registration period:

  • Late Enrollment: Students who did not enroll prior to the beginning of the semester and are enrolling to their course/courses during the late registration period.
  • Changes to Enrollment: Students that change their enrollment during the late registration period.

A student will accrue Late-Payment Fees under the following conditions:

  • If students wait until the late registration period to pay tuition/fees.
  • Starting midnight on the Saturday before the first day of the semester, if students’ total number of credits enrolled exceeds the number of credits paid.

Late-Payment Fees will accrue daily if not paid by midnight each day of the first week of school.

In addition, a one-time Late-Registration Fee will be added for Late Enrollment students. 

For more information on the Late-Registration Fee or Late-Payment Fees, please visit the Cashiering Tuition-Fees site.

Changes to Enrollment during first week:  Students may freely add, drop, or swap courses and/or sections until the end of the fifth business day of the semester.

Changes to Enrollment during second week through third week: Students may add, withdraw, or swap courses with time-period permission through the third week of the semester.  Swapping during this time must be done by the Office of the Registrar and must have time-period permission.   Instructors, departments, and colleges are not obliged to grant time-period permission, even if students make requests for permission by the published deadlines.

Enrollment After Late Registration: Adding or swapping courses after the late-registration period is allowed primarily to adjust for extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control.

After the late registration period is over, changes may be made only when the university deems the circumstances sufficiently extraordinary to warrant an exception.  Students should submit petitions to Faculty Senate for approval.

Auditing Courses: Students who choose not to earn any credit or grade for a particular course can audit the course.  Students may change from credit to audit until the last day to drop or withdraw for the semester, as published on the academic calendar.  Students may change from audit to credit until the end of the fifth business day of the semester. Students can use MyUNLV to opt for either audit or credit.

Swapping Courses: Students may choose to switch an enrolled course/section for a different course/section without penalty that can work better for their schedule or the progression of their degree completion.  Students can freely swap through the end of the fifth business day of the semester. 

Beginning midnight on the sixth day of the semester, swaps will need to be processed via the Office of the Registrar and need time-period permission.  Swaps will only be approved for courses with the same number of credits (switching from 3 credit course to another 3 credit course), and the same time type (modular to modular, regular term to regular term, etc). 

Dropping Courses: A student has the opportunity to drop a course up through the fifth business day of the semester (excluding modular/midsemester courses) without penalty. 

Withdrawing Courses: A student has the opportunity to withdraw up to the date identified on the academic calendar (which is 60% into the course).  No withdrawal will be allowed after the last day to withdraw. Students who withdraw will be assigned a withdraw grade, W, which will appear on the transcript but will not be calculated in the GPA, and be responsible for the tuition and fees associated with the withdrawn course.  A student can qualify for a refund by withdrawing from all courses by the 50% refund date identified on the academic calendar.

A grade of F will be recorded and will appear on the transcripts for students who stop attending class and fail to officially withdraw.

A student who has officially dropped or withdrawn from a course is ineligible for further attendance in that course.

Withdrawal from University: Students who wish to withdraw from the university must drop or withdraw from all courses prior to the last date to withdraw for the semester.  Students who do not properly drop or withdraw from courses will be subject to failing grades. A student who wants to re-enter the university during a subsequent semester must go through the admissions process.

Cancellation of Withdrawal: Students may petition to cancel a withdrawal from the university prior to the last day to drop or withdraw for that particular semester. A petition form for this purpose appears on the Faculty Senate Website. 

Identity Verification in Online Courses:  All UNLV students must use their Campus-issued ACE ID and password to log in to WebCampus. The University policy is located in the Executive Vice President and Provost section of current policies.

UNLV students enrolled in online or hybrid courses are expected to read and adhere to the Student Academic Misconduct Policy, which defines, “acting or attempting to act as a substitute for another, or using or attempting to use a substitute, in any academic evaluation or assignment” as a form of academic misconduct. Intentionally sharing ACE login credentials with another person may be considered an attempt to use a substitute and could result in investigation and sanctions, as outlined in the Student Academic Misconduct Policy.

UNLV students enrolled in online courses are also expected to read and adhere to the Acceptable Use of Computing and Information Technology Resources Policy, which prohibits sharing university accounts with other persons without authorization.

To the greatest extent possible, all graded assignments and assessments in UNLV online courses should be hosted in WebCampus or another UNLV-managed platform that requires ACE login credentials for access.

Institutional Procedures for Student Distance Education Complaints and Appeals: Any UNLV student, current or former (defined as being within one year after discontinuing enrollment), may file a complaint about his or her online education concerning deceptive trade practices or other acts of fraud as defined in the Board of Regents Handbook. UNLV’s complaint process can be found at: https://www.unlv.edu/learn-online/state-authorization  

Classroom Conduct: Students have a responsibility to conduct themselves in class and in the libraries in ways that do not interfere with the rights of other students to learn or of instructors to teach. Use of electronic or potentially disruptive devices such as pagers, cellular phones, or recording devices are permitted only with the prior explicit consent of the instructor. The instructor may rescind permission at any time during the class.

Copyright: The University requires all members of the University Community to familiarize themselves with, and to follow copyright and fair use requirements. You are individually and solely responsible for violations of copyright and fair use laws. The University will neither protect nor defend you, nor assume any responsibility for employee or student violations of fair use laws. Violations of copyright laws could subject you to federal and state civil penalties and criminal liability, as well as disciplinary action under University policies. Additional Copyright Policy information is available at the Provost website.

Class Attendance Policy: Registration in a class obligates students to be regular and punctual in class attendance. Students who without previous arrangement with the instructor or department fail to attend the first two class meetings of a course that meets multiple times per week or the first meeting of a class that meets one time per week may be dropped from the course. Nonattendance for an online course shall be defined as failure to log onto WebCampus or other instructor-designated websites within one week of the course start date without previous arrangements with the instructor or department.

Nonattendance does not release students from the responsibility to officially drop any course for which they have enrolled and choose not to complete, nor from financial obligation to pay for the course.

Missed Classwork: There are no official absences from any university class. It is the student’s responsibility to consult with the course instructor regarding absences from their class. Students may be dropped from courses for nonattendance during the first week of instruction.

Any student missing class, quizzes, examinations, or any other class or laboratory work because of observance of religious holidays will be given an opportunity during that semester to make up the missed work. The make-up opportunity will apply to the religious holiday absence only. It is the responsibility of the student to notify the instructor within the first 14 calendar days of the course for Fall and Spring courses (except for modular courses), or within the first 7 calendar days of the course for Summer and modular courses, of their intention to participate in religious holidays which do not fall on state holidays or periods of class recess. 

In accordance with the policy approved by the Faculty Senate regarding missed class time and assignments, students who represent UNLV in any official extracurricular activity will also have the opportunity to make up assignments, provided that the student provides official written notification to the instructor no less than one week prior to the missed class(es).

The spirit and intent of the policy for missed classwork is to offer fair and equitable assessment opportunities to all students, including those representing the University in extracurricular activities. Instructors should consider, for example, that in courses which offer a “Drop one” option for the lowest assignment, quiz, or exam, assigning the student a grade of zero for an excused absence for extracurricular activity is both contrary to the intent of the Faculty Senate’s policy, and an infringement on the student’s right to complete all work for the course.

This policy will not apply in the event that completing the assignment or administering the examination at an alternate time would impose an undue hardship on the instructor or the University that could reasonably have been avoided. There should be a good faith effort by both the instructor and the student to agree to a reasonable resolution. When disagreements regarding this policy arise, decisions can be appealed to the Department Chair/Unit Director, College/School dean, and/or the Faculty Senate Academic Standards Committee.

For purposes of definition, extracurricular activities may include, but are not limited to: fine arts activities, competitive intercollegiate athletics, science and engineering competitions, liberal arts competitions, academic recruitment activities, and any other event or activity sanctioned by a College/School dean, and/or by the Executive Vice President and Provost.



Grades: The following grade symbols are used in reporting and recording a student’s proficiency in university courses:

A – Superior
B – Above average
C – Average
D – Below average
F – Failing. Failed courses count as credits attempted.
S – Satisfactory
U – Unsatisfactory
X – Hold grade
AD – Audit
I – Incomplete (see below)
W – Withdrawn (issued for a drop after the end of late registration)

In addition to solid letter grades, instructors may also issue A-, B+, B-, C+, C-, D+, or D-. The grade of S, as well as grades of D- and above on the letter grade scale are considered passing. Students earn credit for courses upon entry of passing grades.  Colleges, Schools, and departments can determine a higher passing grade to earn their degrees.

Incomplete Grade: The grade of I — incomplete — can be granted when a student has satisfactorily completed at least three-fourths of the semester but, for reason(s) beyond the student’s control and acceptable to the instructor, cannot complete the last part of the course. A student who receives an I is responsible for making up whatever work was lacking at the end of the semester. The incomplete work must be made up before the end of the following regular semester (fall or spring). If course requirements are not completed within the time indicated, a grade of F will be recorded and the GPA will be adjusted accordingly. Students who receive an I in a course graded on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis and who do not complete course requirements within the time limit will receive a U grade. Students who are fulfilling an incomplete within the allowable one-semester timeframe do not register for the course again but make individual arrangements with the instructor who assigned the I grade.

Satisfactory/Fail Grading: Certain courses are offered only on a satisfactory/fail basis. Students in these courses will receive a grade of S or F rather than a letter grade on the A to F scale. A limited number of courses are offered on the S/F grading basis.  The grade of S is not used in computing the grade point average; F grades are included in averages.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grading: Certain courses are offered only on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis.  Students in these courses will receive a grade of S or U rather than a letter grade on the A to F scale.  A limited number of courses are offered on the S/U grading basis.  S or U grades are not used in computing the grade point average.

Note: During the COVID-19 pandemic, the university allowed undergraduate students to opt for Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grading for the following semesters: spring 2020, summer 2020, fall 2020, spring 2021, summer 2021, and fall 2021. From classes held in spring 2020 through spring 2021, the university considered letter grades of “D-” or higher as equivalent to “S”, and a grade of “F” as equivalent to “U”. For summer 2021 and fall 2021 classes, the university considered grades of “C” or higher as equivalent to “S”, and grades of “C-” or lower as equivalent to “U”.

Grade Points and Grade Point Average (GPA): To facilitate the averaging of grades, the following values are assigned for one semester credit hour of each grade:

Point Value Grade Per Credit                           
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7
F 0

S, U, I, X, W or AD are not computed.

Grade point average is obtained by dividing the total number of points earned by the total number of semester credit hours attempted, excluding noncredit courses and courses in which the marks of S, U, I,, X, W, or AD are recorded. Grade point average calculations will only include grade points earned in UNLV courses and will not include grade points earned from transferred courses.

Grade Point Balance (GPB): Grade point balance indicates how far above or below a student is from a 2.00 GPA. To compute the GPB, points are assigned as follows:

One Credit of:  Points of:                    
A +2.0
A- +1.7
B+ +1.3
B +1.0
B- +0.7
C+ +0.3
C 0.0
C- -0.3
D+ -0.7
D -1.0
D- -1.3
F -2.0

The grade point balance is an aid in helping students with grade deficiencies to determine what is needed to bring their GPA up to a 2.00 which is the minimum needed for graduation. As an example, a record with a GPB of ‑8 would require a minimum of eight hours of B (8 times +1.0) or four hours of A (4 times +2.0) to bring the GPA up to a 2.00.

Final Grades: Each instructor is responsible for determining final grades and for submitting them via MyUNLV by the appropriate deadlines. These grades shall become a part of the official records of the university.

Grade Grievance: A grade grievance must be directed first to the instructor. If the student is not satisfied with the instructor’s decision, the student may notify the Faculty Senate Office of the desire to file a grade grievance petition. Notice of such filing must be received by the Faculty Senate Office by the end of the second week of instruction of the semester (fall or spring) following the semester in which the grade was given. After compiling the appropriate documentation, the student files the petition and supporting documentation with the Faculty Senate office. Documentation is then sent to the chair of the department for input by the instructor, department chair, and college dean. Upon response from the college, all materials are forwarded to the Faculty Senate Academic Standards Committee. The decision of the Academic Standards Committee will be communicated to all parties involved.

Change of Grade: An instructor may submit a Change of Grade to update an incomplete (I) grade in a course that a student has made up, to update an X grade, or to correct a clerical error on their grade roster. The change must be approved by the dean of the college or by the department chair. The grade change must be received within six months from the last day of the semester in which the original grade was given. After six months has elapsed, a petition to correct a grade must be submitted to the Faculty Senate Academic Standards Committee.

Under no circumstances will the Office of the Registrar accept a Change of Grade submitted by a student.

Academic Standing


Academic Good Standing: Students enrolled at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas who maintain a UNLV cumulative grade point average of a 2.00 (GPB of 0 and higher) will be considered in good standing.

Dean’s Honors List: Undergraduate students are eligible for the Dean’s Honors List if: (1) at least 12 credits have been completed during the semester with grades on the ABCDF scale and (2) the semester grade point average is 3.50 or higher. Courses with an Incomplete (I grade) or grade change completed after the semester will not be eligible to count towards the Dean’s Honors List criteria.

University Probation:  The university will place a student on probation if the UNLV cumulative GPA falls below a 2.00 (GPB -1 or lower). 

Continued Probation:  Continued poor academic performance that leads to a grade point balance of -1 to -14 will result in Continued Probation.  Probation will be lifted as soon as the grade point balance rises to zero or above. It is the responsibility of students on probation to seek advice from an academic advisor.

University Suspension: If the grade point balance of a student already warned by probation falls to -15 or below, the university will suspend the student for a minimum of one calendar year. A suspended student will not be allowed to take any UNLV courses. The University will suspend only at the end of a regular fall or spring semester.  University suspension automatically suspends the student from the program and college in which they are enrolled.  An email sent to the student’s official UNLV (Rebel) email address will discharge all university responsibility for notification.

If the student has already begun courses in summer term I at the time that a suspension is processed, the courses in summer term I may be completed for credit. Students will be dropped from courses in which they are enrolled in summer terms II and III, as well as any future semesters. Credits earned in summer term I will not take a student off university suspension even if the grade point balance reaches above -15.

University Readmission after Suspension: Occasionally, students under suspension will attend another institution with the intent of taking courses to show they can do satisfactory college-level work.  However, a UNLV equivalent course taken at another institution will not serve to change the UNLV grade point average.  Only courses taken at UNLV or UNLV repeated courses affect the UNLV grade point average.

Students are required to submit official transcripts of courses taken elsewhere while on suspension.

Students returning to UNLV after University Suspension fall under three scenarios. 

1)  Return Early – Students who wish to return early from suspension, before the one-calendar-year minimum has elapsed, must do so through the Early Reinstatement process.  Students are required to meet with their advisor, complete the Early Reinstatement Petition After University Suspension, obtain the signatures of the department chair and dean, and appeal the suspension through the Faculty Senate Academic Standards Committee.  Upon receipt from Faculty Senate, the Office of the Registrar, will remove the suspension holds for approved appeals.  Students return exactly as they were in the system at the time of suspension.  No changes are made to students’ majors.  Students who decide to change their majors are required to go through the standard change of major steps with their desired major’s advising center. 

2) Return in First Eligible Semester after One Year – Students are eligible to return from suspension in the semester immediately following their required one-year absence (no application for readmission is required).  For example, a student suspended at the conclusion of Fall 2016 would be eligible to return starting in Spring 2018.  Students are required to meet with an academic advisor. The advising center will remove suspension holds upon meeting with students and creating a plan for a successful return.  Students return exactly as they were in the system at the time of suspension.  No changes are made to students’ majors.  Students who desire to change their majors are required to go through the standard change of major steps with their desired major’s advising center.

3) Return After First Eligible Semester - Students who return from suspension at any point past the semester immediately following their one-year absence are discontinued for non-enrollment and must reapply to UNLV.  For example, a student suspended in Fall 2016 who chose not to return in Spring 2018 would need to reapply for any semester after Spring 2018.  Students are required to reapply for admission as a Returning Student following the instructions available from the Office of Admissions.  Students reapplying after University suspension are guaranteed readmission. 

College Probation, Suspension, and Readmission: If acceptable progress is not made in the program in which a student is enrolled, the student may be placed on probation or suspension at the college level.  In addition to university-wide policies, students are responsible for knowing and complying with applicable school, college and department regulations on academic standing.
College suspension does not suspend a student from the university; however, a suspended student will not be permitted to take any UNLV course until the student has secured readmittance or acceptance by another college.

The college may readmit a student suspended by the college, upon application to the dean, in accordance with college and department regulations.
Petitions for relief from college and department regulations may be further appealed to the Faculty Senate Academic Standards Committee.

Student Records

Change of Name, National ID, Date of Birth, or Gender: Students may change their university records by completing the NSHE Request to Change Personal Identification Data Form and submitting copies of the appropriate supporting documentation. 

Change of Address: Any change of address should be reported immediately through the MyUNLV Student Center. Any university correspondence mailed to the last address provided by the student will discharge the university from all responsibility for notification.

Transcripts: Current students may access their unofficial transcript in their MyUNLV Student Center. Official transcripts are copies of student academic records of all work attempted at UNLV and bear the seal of the university and the Registrar’s signature. Official transcripts may be requested via the online system. Transcripts of work from other institutions or any nontraditional credit transcripts will not be issued.

Degree Progression


Obtaining Credit for Courses: Credits will be deemed earned for a course upon the successful completion of the course.  A course is deemed as successfully completed when students have earned a grade of D- or better on the letter grade scale, or a grade of S on the Satisfactory/Fail or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading scales.

Duplicate Credit: A student can earn credits for any given course up to the maximum approved number of credits published for the course.  Repeat-for-Credit courses also have approved maximum credits amounts. 

Duplicate Credit between Different Courses:  Some courses are not designated as equivalent courses but may overlap enough for departments to deem them as duplicate credit courses.  A student may not earn credit for both courses; thus when a student has earned duplicate credit, the first course taken will have its credits omitted from the total earned. However, grades from all duplicate-credit courses taken will still be computed in the grade point average.  For example, if a student takes MATH 124 and earns a C, then takes MATH 126 and earns a D, both the C and the D will count towards the GPA, but no credit will be given for MATH 124. 

Grade reports may not initially reflect the duplicate credit courses. Credits attempted, and credits earned will need to be manually adjusted.

Repeating a Course: Any course may be repeated regardless of the grade received.  To avoid the duplication of earned UNLV credits past the approved maximum credits allowed for a course, a student who chooses to repeat any previous successfully attempted UNLV course at UNLV will only earn credit for the latest successfully attempted course.  A course is deemed successfully attempted when there is a final grade earned including F or U grades.  A student may actually end up losing credit if the latest course is successfully attempted but not successfully completed (meaning they earned an F or a U).

When a course is successfully attempted more than once, only the original grade is omitted in computing the grade point average. The repeat grade(s) must be on the same grading option as the original grade. All grades will remain on the student’s transcript with suitable notation to ensure an accurate academic record.

Grade reports may not initially reflect the repeated courses. Grade point averages, credits attempted, and credits earned will need to be manually adjusted prior to the end of semester jobs, which automatically update the student record.

The fact that UNLV has granted a degree to a student shall not preclude the student’s right to repeat a course for the purpose of improving a grade. However, the repeat grade will not alter the student’s permanent academic record (as it stands at the time of degree conferral).  Students should discuss how the new course will affect their overall credits and GPA with their academic advisor.

An unsuccessfully completed course (F or U grade) does not have to be repeated unless the course is a university general education core requirement or a specific college or department requirement. Students should discuss options with their academic advisor.

Credit by Examination: UNLV allows credit by examination for courses listed in the Undergraduate Catalog with the exception of projects, thesis, research, internship, practicum, and other courses at the discretion of the University.  Credit by Examination is subject to the following regulations:

  1. Students must provide evidence that they have covered the subject matter of the course as a result of having taken a comparable course in a non-accredited educational institution or by systematic, independent study or directly pertinent occupational experience.
  2. All active undergraduate students, not on probation, are eligible for credit by examination. Graduate and non-degree seeking students may not apply.
  3. A maximum of 30 semester units may be obtained by credit by examination.
  4. Credit earned by examination does not apply toward satisfying the minimum on-campus resident credit requirement for graduation and does not constitute an interruption of the resident credit requirement.
  5. Credit by examination may not be obtained for a course previously completed at an accredited institution including courses previously taken at UNLV, regardless of grade. 
  6. Students are not permitted to repeat the same credit by examination. 
  7. Credit by examination cannot be obtained in a course that covers at an elementary level the subject matter of a more advanced course for which the student has already received credit.
  8. Native speakers of languages other than English may not receive lower-division foreign language credit for courses in their native tongue.
  9. The posting of satisfactory completed credit by examinations to the student’s permanent academic record shall clearly identify that the credit was earned by examination along a grade of S (satisfactory) or U (unsatisfactory).
  10. Credit by examination for variable unit courses shall not exceed 5 credits (with the exception of EDWF 135 and EDWF 477 which may be taken for up to 15 credits - additional fees apply).

Students must request an application before taking the examination and obtain written approval from the student’s own major advisor and dean, the instructor of the course, and the department chair and dean of the college offering the course. The fee per course must be paid in advance.

Regardless of whether or not the student wants the grade recorded, the instructor will enter a grade of S/U on the Credit by Examination form and submit the form. The instructor will file the completed examination according to the instructions of the dean or department chair; these examinations may be inspected by any faculty member. Under no circumstances will the Office of the Registrar accept a Credit by Examination form submitted by a student.

Changing College, Major; Adding a Second Major: Undergraduate students desiring to change their major or minor should visit the appropriate advising centers. Each student must satisfy the course requirements of the college and major to which transfer is made, including any admission deficiencies. A student may be accepted simultaneously in two colleges while pursuing dual undergraduate majors or dual undergraduate degrees. (See Dual Major and Dual Baccalaureate.)

Minor: A minor is defined by a department within the following minimums:

  • Eighteen credit hours in subject areas (24 recommended).
  • Twelve credit hours must be at the 300- or 400-level.
  • Nine credit hours must be completed at UNLV.

Students who wish to declare a minor should make arrangements at the appropriate department office or advising center. Approval of the department and dean offering the minor is required. Students will not be allowed to declare a minor of which they are already pursuing a major for.  Work may be completed at any time but no later than the date of graduation. Completed minors will post to the student record at the time of graduation.

Certificates: Admission to an undergraduate certificate will require the student to be a degree-seeking student prior to declaring the certificate. Students should see the academic advisor for options.

Dual Major: Undergraduate students may add a second major and graduate with a dual major, provided the degree type is the same for both majors. Curriculum requirements for both majors must be satisfied. If the majors are in different colleges, the resident credit requirement must be satisfied in both colleges. The addition of a second major should be completed prior to undertaking the last 30 semester credits of work required for the degree sought. At graduation, both majors are entered on the permanent record and appear on transcripts and the diploma. Students will only receive one diploma displaying all majors.

Students who wish to earn two separate degrees simultaneously fall under the dual baccalaureate policy and will need to complete all requirements from both areas of study, including an additional 30 credits of coursework, for each additional degree. The student must request a dual baccalaureate with the Office of the Registrar before the conferral of degrees.

Dual Baccalaureate: Students may earn two or more baccalaureates, simultaneously, provided that all programmatic/curriculum requirements for all degrees are fulfilled. Additionally, courses taken for each additional baccalaureate degree must include a minimum of 30 credits earned per degree beyond the minimum requirements for the first baccalaureate degree.  If the degrees are in different colleges, the resident credit requirement must be satisfied in both colleges. The addition of additional degrees should be completed prior to undertaking the last 30 semester credits of work required for the degrees sought.  Students who will graduate with multiple baccalaureate degrees must apply for graduation when requirements for all baccalaureates are completed and must submit a separate graduation fee payment for each degree.  At graduation, both degrees are entered on the permanent record and appear on transcripts and the diploma. Students will receive a separate diploma for each degree.  

A dual major student wishing to obtain dual baccalaureate will need to request the dual baccalaureate with the Office of the Registrar before the conferral of degrees.  Students are encouraged to discuss with their advisor regarding this change as it could mean a delay in graduation. 

Post Baccalaureate: Students who seek to graduate with an additional baccalaureate after receiving the first are considered Post Baccalaureate.  Students must file an application for admission into the second degree program. Upon admission, the student will need to discuss with the academic advisor for appropriate programmatic/curriculum requirement options. 

Study Week: The UNLV Faculty Senate approved the following policy for Study Week: To ensure that students have the proper time to prepare for final examinations, the week before final exams shall be designated as a study week, in which classes will meet as scheduled but during which instructors are encouraged to refrain from giving major tests (i.e. hour-long, sit-down, written exams). The policy shall not affect such assignments as laboratory finals, performance exams (as in juries, theatre, music, dance, etc.), short quizzes, term papers, final reports, and similar activities.

Examinations: Instructors are responsible for the proper evaluation of enrolled students throughout the instructional period.

Final Examinations: The University requires that final exams given at the end of a course occur on the date and at the time specified in the Final Exam schedule. The general schedule is typically available at the start of the semester, and the classroom locations are available approximately one month before the end of the semester. See the Final Exam Schedule.

Academic Renewal Policy: Academic renewal is defined as one semester of UNLV course work disregarded in all calculations regarding academic standing, grade point average, and eligibility for graduation at UNLV. If summer courses are to be included in the work to be disregarded, then course work from all summer terms of the same calendar year shall count as one semester. Students granted academic renewal may not graduate with academic distinctions. Disregarded grades may be calculated in scholarship awards, financial aid considerations, or for Excess Credit Fees.

A minimum of three consecutive years must have elapsed since the last semester of attendance at UNLV. Only semesters prior to the absence are eligible for academic renewal. Academic renewal will be granted only once during a returning student’s UNLV academic career and shall be applied only to the first undergraduate degree at UNLV. Students must apply for academic renewal before they have completed 24 credits since returning to UNLV.

There will be no reimbursement of tuition and fees for the disregarded semester of academic renewal. Approval of an academic renewal request does not constitute acceptance into a UNLV college or school. If conditions outlined in the Academic Renewal Policy are met, the student’s permanent record shall be suitably annotated to indicate that work taken during the disregarded semester, even if satisfactory, will not apply toward graduation requirements. All course work will remain on the transcript, ensuring a true and accurate academic history.

The electronic Academic Renewal Policy Request Form must be completed by the student via their Rebel Mail account and submitted to the Office of the Registrar. All Academic Renewal Forms will be processed at the end of the add/drop period of the semester the student returns to UNLV.

UNLV does not honor academic renewal policies from other institutions.



Choice of Catalog to Satisfy Graduation Requirements: A student enrolled at a Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) institution may elect to graduate under the catalog of the year of enrollment in a baccalaureate-level program. A student may also elect to graduate under the catalog year that was active when a student entered the university or the catalog year that is active when a student applies to graduate. No catalog used for graduation purposes may be more than 10 years old at the time of graduation.

The university does not guarantee the awarding of a degree based on the unchanged requirements of a particular catalog. Periodic revisions of degree requirements are made because of advances in knowledge, changes in occupational qualifications, or the expectations of accrediting authorities. If such revisions have occurred, the college dean may require a reasonable adherence to the college and department requirements of a recent or current catalog. Institutional catalogs do not constitute contractual agreements or commitments. It is the responsibility of students to keep in touch with the major department in order to learn of such requirements and to plan ahead for their completion

University Resident Credit: Resident credit means any course that is satisfactorily completed at UNLV, except credit earned by special examination or online courses. However, NSHE web based courses, credit by special examination, or enrollment in another institution within the Nevada System of Higher Education does not constitute an interruption of resident credit.

A candidate for the baccalaureate degree must complete the last 30 UNLV semester credits in uninterrupted resident credit as a declared major in the degree-granting college. A student must declare a major prior to enrolling in their last 30 UNLV resident credits. (Special examination, physical education activity courses, or NSHE web based credits are exempt.)

Authorized exceptions to this regulation for the baccalaureate degree are:

  1. A pre-medical, pre-law, or medical technology student who has completed three years of approved resident credit may complete the last 30 credits by satisfactory work in a professional school or university-approved hospital. Students who elect this option should confer with their UNLV dean and with their Advising Office well in advance of the expected transfer date and obtain prior written permission.
  2. A student who has earned a minimum of three-fourths of the total degree credits in resident instruction may earn a maximum of eight acceptable transfer credits during their senior year to apply toward the degree.
  3. Students in the Study Abroad Program sponsored by the UNLV Office of International Programs who have earned three-fourths of the credits at UNLV may earn a maximum of 15 acceptable transfer credits.

A waiver of the university resident credit requirement is rarely granted, unless there are extenuating circumstances involving UNLV responsibility (e.g., requiring completion of a specific course in a student’s major field and that course is not available at the UNLV campus). A petition for an exception should be submitted two semesters in advance of the expected date of graduation. No waiver will be granted unless the petition is approved by the advisor, department chair, dean, and the Faculty Senate Academic Standards Committee.

Minimum Credits for Graduation: The minimum number of semester credits required for a baccalaureate degree is 120. At least half of the credits required for a baccalaureate degree at the institution must be earned at a four-year institution. Credits earned in courses numbered less than 100 will not count toward the baccalaureate degree. 

Minimum Grade Point Average for Graduation: In order to graduate, an undergraduate student must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 for the total of all college-level credit attempted at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV GPA). College and department GPA requirements must also be met.

Academic Distinction: Graduation degree designations for students not participating in University or Research/Creative Honors programs are Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, and Summa Cum Laude. To be eligible to receive one of these designations, students must complete a minimum of 60 credits at UNLV toward a baccalaureate degree and attain the calculated GPA level for their individual college (see Criteria for Academic Distinction below).  In no case will a person be eligible for summa cum laude with a GPA of less than 3.70.  Students who have a combination of earned and in progress credits equaling 60, along with the appropriate GPA at the time that the commencement program goes to print, will be eligible to have their name listed with honors in the program, and their name read with honors at the commencement ceremony.

A student’s cumulative GPA at the time of conferral will be used to make final determination of Academic Distinction.  However, for purposes of the commencement ceremony, a student must satisfy the minimum GPAs at the end of the summer semester prior to participating in the fall ceremony or the end of the fall semester prior to participating in the spring ceremony in order for the Academic Distinction to be announced during the ceremony.

Criteria for Academic Distinction: The GPA ranges for graduation degree designations for each college will be established for the next academic year from the reports from the previous two years. Thus, at the end of each academic year (defined as summer, fall, and spring), the Office of the Registrar will prepare a rank-order list of the top 10 percent (1 percent = Summa, 4 percent = Magna, and 5 percent = Cum) of the students graduating from each college (excluding the Graduate College). Students GPAs will not be rounded up. These ranges will be applied to August, December, and May graduations.  See the Registrar-Latin Honors PDF for current ranges. 

In the event that no student attains the GPA level required for the Summa Cum Laude designation in a college, the student with the highest GPA in the college at the end of the year will be awarded the designation, provided that his or her GPA is 3.70 or higher.

Academic Distinction in the Honors College: Students who successfully complete an Honors College program graduate with honors if they:

  • Complete the requirements for the University Honors and/or the Research and Creative Honors program or the Service Learning Honors program, the requirements for their major, and applicable UNLV graduation requirements.
  • Graduate with a final GPA of at least 3.30
  • Graduate with a final Honors College GPA of at least 3.00, and
  • Graduate with at least 60 credits earned at UNLV.

Latin honors designations, Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, and Summa Cum Laude, which appear on final transcripts and diplomas, are awarded by the Honors College to college graduates as follows:

Students graduating from the University Honors Program:

  • Cum Laude if their final GPAs are 3.50 - 3.69
  • Magna cum Laude if their final GPAs are 3.70 or higher
  • Summa cum Laude is not awarded for this program

Students graduating from the Research and Creative Honors Program:

  • Cum Laude if their final GPAs are 3.30 - 3.49
  • Magna cum Laude if their final GPAs are 3.50 - 3.69
  • Summa cum Laude if their final GPAs are 3.70 or higher and they receive a grade of A in HON 499.

Students graduating from the Service Learning Honors Program:

  • Cum Laude if their final GPAs are 3.60-3.69
  • Magna Cum Laude if their final GPAs are 3.70 or higher
  • Summa cum Laude is not awarded for this program

Application for Graduation: Each undergraduate student must apply for graduation in MyUNLV at the beginning of the semester of graduation. Students must have senior standing (earned credits equal to 90 or more) at the time of application. Application deadlines appear on the academic calendar. One application will be submitted for all current degrees; each degree will incur a nonrefundable graduation fee.  See Student Accounts for additional information regarding the graduation application fee.  Students can refer to the Office of the Registrar’s website for additional graduation and commencement information.

Degree Completion: All course requirements must be completed by the last day of final examinations of the student’s final semester. All grades, including incompletes, as well as all transcripts of work attempted at other institutions must be on file in the Office of the Registrar by the date that final semester grades are due. No degree, diploma, or certificate will be granted to a student unless all NSHE, general core, college, and department requirements have been fulfilled. If awarded in error or upon fraudulent claims that are discovered later, the degree, diploma, or certificate will be revoked.

Commencement Ceremony: The University has two commencement ceremonies each year, one in May and one in December. Spring graduates are recognized in the May commencement. Summer and Fall graduates are recognized in the December commencement. Note that participation in a commencement ceremony does not guarantee degree conferral.

Undergraduate students who are not scheduled to finish their degree programs until the summer following May commencement may be allowed, under certain circumstances, to participate in the May graduation ceremony. Students should contact the Office of the Registrar for information.

Degree Conferral: Degrees are conferred only when all requirements have been met and final grades for the student’s final semester have been computed.  Degrees are conferred during a ten-week period following the end of each semester. Diplomas will be mailed after the conferral period.



Library Resources:  Librarians are available to consult with students on research needs, including developing research topics, finding information, and evaluating sources. To make an appointment with a subject expert for a course, please visit the Libraries’ Research Consultation website. You can also ask the library staff questions via chat and text message.

Summer Term


Summer courses have the same academic content as the fall or spring courses with the same titles, but the summer courses move at a much faster pace.

Summer term tuition and fees must be paid the business day before the course a student is registered for begins in order to avoid late fees. To receive a 100 percent refund a student must drop a course the business day before the course begins. If a student registers for a course and does not pay the tuition and fees due by the end of the late-payment period for the term in which the course falls, the student will be administratively dropped still owing 50 percent of the tuition and fees for the course. The fiscal drop date (50 percent refund) for a summer term course is the date on which 20 percent of the course has passed. The academic drop (last day to drop) for a summer term course is the date on which 60 percent of the course has passed.

For relief from academic policies for the summer terms, a complete petition should be submitted directly to Summer Term.  Summer term information can be found at the Summer Term website.

Exceptions to Academic Policies


If extraordinary circumstances warrant waiver of an academic policy, a student may petition for relief. A decision will be made by the UNLV Faculty Senate Academic Standards Committee. The petition must first be routed to the student’s Advisor (who should assist in preparation), department chair, and dean.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Catalog Search