Dec 09, 2023  
2019-2020 Graduate Catalog 

Admission & Registration Information

The UNLV Graduate College welcomes applicants from all over the nation and the world to join our community of scholars. Our more than 160 graduate certificates and programs provide an outstanding opportunity for advanced study. Admission to the Graduate College at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas is competitive. The criteria established by the Board of Regents, University, Graduate College, and individual graduate programs determine admissibility. Applicants must meet necessary minimum admissions requirements as established by the Graduate College as well as all graduate program requirements. Meeting requirements is rarely a sufficient basis for admission; admissions decisions are competitive and take into consideration all the application materials in a holistic manner.

Application deadlines vary by department. Prospective students are encouraged to reach out to the graduate coordinator and other faculty in their desired department to get information on the program and the department’s application process. Through the standard university and Graduate College curricular and program review process, department faculty determine program admissions requirements beyond the Graduate College minimum requirements. All admissions requirements are available for each program here in the Graduate Catalog. Please note that applicants must submit all required admissions materials via our online application system, the Grad Rebel Gateway. The process below describes the Graduate College requirements; please also follow the requirements, guidelines and deadlines of your degree program of interest.

UNLV is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504 institution. All qualified applicants to the Graduate College, and admitted students, will receive equal consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or covered US veteran status.

Policies & Procedures 

  1. Degree Programs
    1. Dual Degrees
    2. Concurrent Degrees
    3. Accelerated Degrees
  2. Admission Requirements
    1. Requirements for Applicants
    2. Policy on Proof of English Proficiency Requirement for Graduate Admissions
    3. English Proficiency Requirement for GAs
    4. The Admission Process
      1. Application Procedures for International and Domestic Applicants
      2. Requirements and Procedures for International Applicants
    5. Transfer Credit Policy
    6. Readmission to the Graduate College
    7. Change of Program, Plan, or Sub-Plan
    8. Application Fraud and Revocation of Admission
  3. Admission Status and Classification of Students
    1. Full Graduate Standing
    2. Provisional Graduate Standing
    3. Conditional Admission
    4. Non-Degree Seeking Graduate Students
    5. Undergraduates Taking Graduate-Level Courses
  4. Immunization Requirements
  5. Nevada Residency
  6. Registration Policies
    1. Adding or Dropping Classes
    2. Dropping/Withdrawing from Classes
    3. Cancellation of Registration
    4. Cancellation of Courses and Programs
    5. Repeat Policy
    6. Unit of Credit
  7. Transcripts of Credit

Degree Programs

Dual Degrees

Dual​ degrees are formal programs, where students are simultaneously enrolled in both, that result in the awarding of two degrees. The primary benefit of ​dual​ degrees is that the total number of credits required to earn them is reduced. UNLV offers dual degrees between two graduate programs and between a graduate program and a professional program.

For dual graduate programs, students must be admitted to both degrees and both degrees will be conferred simultaneously in the same semester even if all requirements for one are completed before the other.

For dual programs between a graduate degree and a professional degree in the Boyd School of Law, Medical School, or School of Dental Medicine, students must be simultaneously enrolled for the majority of both programs.

On the recommendation and approval of both the graduate program and professional school, the professional degree may be conferred slightly prior to the graduate degree. However, in these special situations the graduate degree must be conferred within one year (three semesters, including summer) of the professional degree, or the student will be required to complete all the requirements of the standalone graduate degree in order for that degree to be conferred.

Below is a list of currently approved ​dual​ degree programs.

Concurrent Degrees

Graduate students may pursue a concurrent or double degree. Concurrent or double degrees may be earned when a student enrolls in two programs simultaneously. Students who are concurrently enrolled in more than one graduate degree must complete all of the requirements for both degrees; there can be no “sharing” of degree requirements or course credits. Graduate students must complete the full application process for each degree and receive permission from both academic departments and the Graduate College dean by submitting a Concurrent Degree Enrollment Approval form

Accelerated Degrees

Accelerated degrees, sometimes referred to as integrated bachelor’s to graduate programs or undergraduate bridge programs provide an accelerated path to earning both a baccalaureate and a graduate degree. All requirements for both the baccalaureate and graduate degrees must be met, but depending on the program there may be some shared course work. Such programs help recruit high-achieving undergraduate students into UNLV graduate programs and provide them with challenging academic experiences and expanded opportunities.

Accelerated programs are approved through the standard university and Graduate College curriculum and program approval processes and are not available for individual student design. A list of approved accelerated programs is below.

Admission Requirements

Requirements for Applicants

Applicants must meet the following academic requirements:

  1. Hold a four-year baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or an approved international equivalent.
  2. Have a minimum overall undergraduate grade point average of 2.75 (4.00=A), or a minimum 3.00 GPA (4.00=A) for the last two years (60 semester credits) of study.

Policy on English Proficiency Requirement for Graduate Admissions

International applicants must provide proof of English proficiency. Applicants are exempt from this requirement if they are from countries where English is the native language. Applicants who have received a post-secondary degree from an institution where English is the primary language of instruction may also be exempt. These applicants must provide proof of the language of instruction in order to be exempt. The final determination is made by the Graduate College.

Applicants may submit either official or unofficial copies of English proficiency scores for initial application evaluation. Applicants may send official scores to the Graduate College through the testing agency, upload unofficial score reports into their application Grad Rebel Gateway, or email unofficial score reports to Students admitted with unofficial scores will be conditionally admitted and must submit official exam scores by the deadline specified on the Certificate of Admission. Test scores must be less than two years old at the time of application.

Acceptable scores that evidence sufficient English proficiency for each test are as follows:

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

  • Paper‐based: Total minimum score 74
  • Computer‐based: Total minimum score 213
  • Internet‐based: Total minimum score 80

Pearson Test of English (PTE)

  • Minimum score: 65

International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

  • Minimum score: 6.5

Michigan Test of English Language Placement (MTELP)

  • Minimum score: 85

Graduate departments may require a higher minimum score for admission.


English Speaking Countries Exempt from Testing:

Antigua, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Barbuda, Belize, British Guyana, British Virgin Islands, Canada (except for Quebec), Dominica, Irish Republic, Jamaica, New Zealand, St. Kitt & Nevis, St. Vincent & Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, United Kingdom, U.S. Virgin Islands

With the support of the academic department, the Graduate College may accept the following scores for applicants with cumulative GPA of 3.75 or higher (4.0 scale). In addition to the GPA requirement, the academic department must provide evidence of academic excellence as rationale for such an exception.

Any requests for exceptions must be submitted to the Graduate College with support from the academic department/unit chair and graduate coordinator. Scores lower than the following will NOT be considered for exception:

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

  • Paper‐based minimum score: 68
  • Computer‐based minimum score: 210
  • Internet‐based: 77

Michigan Test of English Language Placement (MTELP)

  • Minimum score: 80

Pearson Test of English (PTE)

  • Minimum score: 55

Any requests for exceptions must be submitted to the Graduate College with support from the academic department/unit chair and graduate coordinator, and a statement explaining evidence of the applicant’s academic excellence. Scores lower than those listed above will not be approved. Any students admitted on this type of PEP exception will be required to visit with the UNLV English Language Center (ELC) for an assessment upon arriving on campus and take any courses prescribed by the ELC to remedy any English language deficiencies. Failure to complete prescribed courses within the time frame stipulated by the ELC will result in separation from the university.

English Proficiency for Graduate Assistants

All new international students who are first-time graduate assistants at UNLV without sufficient Proof of English Proficiency (PEP) will be required to take the Duolingo Test. This includes all graduate assistants who will be advising or teaching students as an instructor, teaching assistant, or lab supervisors; research assistants; and graduate assistants with other professional duties. The Duolingo Test must be taken before the start of the semester the GA intends to work at UNLV. Specifically, the last day to take the Duolingo Test will be the Friday before classes start. International GAs that cannot provide sufficient PEP or pass the Duolingo Test cannot serve in a teaching capacity during their first semester as a GA. GAs that are offered teaching assistants and do not meet the requirements of PEP/Duolingo will be reassigned to non-teaching duties their first semester as a GA. Please see the Graduate Assistant Handbook for more information about English Proficiency requirements for international GAs.

The Admission Process

  1. Applicants must apply online via the UNLV Grad Rebel Gateway system.
  2. We strongly encourage applicants to submit unofficial transcripts with the application to decrease processing time. Applicants are responsible for making sure the Graduate College and department receive the appropriate credentials by the required deadlines. All application materials, including transcripts, become the property of the University and may not be released to the applicant or any individual. An application file is created upon receipt of an admission application and fee in the Grad Rebel Gateway.
  3. The Graduate College evaluates the application materials to ensure that the applicant meets minimum qualifications, and the applicant’s department reviews the file for sufficient qualifications and competitiveness compared to other applicants.
  4. Early submission of all application materials generally facilitates a more expeditious review process through the Graduate College and department.
  5. Applicants will be notified of their admission status by email and on the Admissions tab in your Grad Rebel Gateway online portal. Those accepted to pursue a UNLV graduate degree or certificate will receive an electronic Letter of Admission from the Graduate College, which will be posted in the Grad Rebel Gateway. The Letter of Admission is an important document that the student should read carefully and retain as it will contain the terms and conditions of your admission.
  6. The student must then log into their MyUNLV account and accept admission. Students who do not accept admission will not be able to enroll in courses.
  7. The admission process is only completed upon enrollment in graduate-level courses for the specified term and degree program indicated on the Letter of Admission. Failure to enroll or subsequent withdrawal from all course work during the semester of admission will void the Letter of Admission and result in the student’s separation from their graduate program.
  8. If an applicant does not complete the admission process, the student must reapply and submit another application processing fee to be considered for admission in a future semester. Materials from the previous application, such as official transcripts, may be used if they are still on file with the Graduate College. Official transcripts are kept within the Graduate College for a minimum of one year.

Note: Occasionally a student may be admitted with some academic deficiencies. If so, the admission will be contingent on the deficiencies being corrected by completing courses by the deadline specified on the Certificate of Admission (generally early in the graduate program). A student may also be required to register for internship credits, or related graduate course work, to remedy a deficiency related to lack of work experience or field experience prior to admission. Students needing more than two courses are advised to consult with the department for a recommendation on which courses they should take to meet the prerequisite admission requirements. These courses taken to remedy deficiencies identified at admission will not be applied toward the advanced degree. Most College of Education departments require a minimum of 18 undergraduate credit hours in professional education courses. Nevada professional certification may be considered as fulfilling this requirement.

Application Procedures for Domestic and International Applicants

All admissions requirements are available for each program here in the Graduate Catalog.

To apply to the Graduate College, submit the following admission materials for consideration:

  • A completed application: The online application system, called the Grad Rebel Gateway, is available for you to fill out online by selecting the “Apply” link on the Graduate College Future Students page at
  • A nonrefundable admission application fee, payable to the UNLV Board of Regents by check, money order, or online by credit card.

*Note: Applications and materials will not be processed until the application fee is received. Applicants to multiple UNLV graduate programs must pay the admission application evaluation fee for each application filed. Denied applicants, who later seek admission to the same or other UNLV degree program, are required to pay a new application fee to cover processing.

  • One transcript from every post-secondary institution the applicant has attended (whether or not a degree was earned), showing all course work, extension and correspondence work, any degrees earned, and the dates that those degrees were awarded. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted as part of the application process. However, if an applicant is admitted, official transcripts will be required by the date specified on the Certificate of Admission.
  • All new applicants (international and domestic), EXCEPT those applying to programs in the College of Engineering or to Management Information Systems or Economics, are required to provide a course-by-course evaluation of all foreign credentials from one of the external evaluating agencies listed below. Foreign credentials refer to transcripts from educational institutions outside the United States. When ordering your foreign credential evaluation, please be sure that your grade point average (GPA) is calculated and included in your agency evaluation.
    • The UNLV Graduate College accepts foreign credential evaluations from any current member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) with a course-by-course evaluation, U.S. equivalency for each credential, and grade point average (GPA) included. For a list of all current members, please visit their website.

*Note: Only transcripts sent directly from the institution are considered official. Failure to disclose all course work and/or degrees awarded will result in rescission of admission.

Send Graduate College admission materials to:

University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Graduate College
FDH 352 Box 451017
4505 S. Maryland Parkway,
Las Vegas, NV 89154-1017

Applicants must submit admission materials by the application deadline for your program of interest. Because departmental requirements vary, please be sure to refer to your department of interest for specific application requirements. Many graduate programs require some or all of the following documentation:

  • One official transcript from all post-secondary institutions attended, showing all degrees and the dates awarded and extension and correspondence work. Only transcripts sent directly from the institution are considered official. Some departments only require unofficial transcripts; please check with your department of interest to confirm. If you attended a post-secondary institution in certain countries, additional materials must be submitted as outlined below:
    • Credentials from China: Students who have completed a degree in China must provide copies of the original language transcripts and a copy of their Degree Certificate and Graduation Certificate. Documents verified by the China Higher Education Student Information and Career Center (CHESICC) or the China Academic Degree and Graduate information Center (CDGDC) are also accepted.
    • Credentials from India: Consolidated marks sheets are acceptable if yearly mark sheets are not available. Mark sheets must also be issued by the degree-granting institution. Mark sheets from affiliated colleges, are not acceptable or considered official. Students who have completed a degree in India must also provide a copy of their Provisional Certificate.
  • Letters of recommendation sent by former instructors, employers, or other professionals who can evaluate the applicant’s potential to complete graduate study.
  • Resume, portfolio, etc. Some departments may request additional materials (i.e., resume, portfolio, statement of purpose, writing samples, and the like).
  • Standardized test scores. In addition, many departments require satisfactory composite scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), Miller Analogies Test (MAT), or other standardized tests.  Some examinations are given only four or five times a year and require that registration be completed a minimum of six weeks prior to the test date. With the exception of the Miller Analogies Test (MAT), students may take the required tests online, or at other colleges or universities if taking them at UNLV is inconvenient for the applicant.

Requirements and Procedures for International Applicants

Credentials not written in English must be accompanied by an English translation that is certified as true by a university official, an official representative of a United States embassy or consulate, the United States Information Service, the United States Education Foundation, or an approved professional translating service. Notarized copies of originals or translations are not considered official.

International applicants must submit a completed Confidential Financial Certification form and appropriate proof of funding to International Graduate Student Services. Before an I-20 can be issued, students must satisfy the financial eligibility requirements, and receive their Letter of Admission from the Graduate College. I-20s will not be issued after July 1 if admitted for fall semester and December 1 if admitted for spring semester.

Prior to arrival in the United States, contact International Graduate Student Services with questions. After arrival in the United States, contact International Students and Scholars for all immigration related questions and your department or faculty advisor for program related questions.

Transfer Credit Policy

With the department and Graduate College approvals, no more than one-third of the minimum number of credits required for the degree (not including credits for thesis, dissertation, and professional/scholarly papers) may be transferred from a regionally accredited graduate degree granting institution. Please note that courses used to fulfill requirements for a degree at UNLV or elsewhere are prohibited from use toward another degree. For UNLV Non-Degree Seeking graduate students, a maximum of 15 graduate credits (with grades of B or better) taken at UNLV may be applied toward a graduate program, with the approval of the student’s department and the Graduate Dean. Graduate work from other regionally accredited institutions with a grade of B or higher (3.00, A=4.00) may be transferable into a degree program subject to departmental and Graduate Dean approval. Grades of B- or lower, and courses graded on a satisfactory pass/fail basis, are not transferable into graduate degree programs. 

Readmission to the Graduate College

Students may apply for a second different master’s degree or a doctoral degree after completing a master’s degree. In these cases, students must submit a new application for admission, the required admission processing fee, and all supporting credentials required by the Graduate College and the new department or program.

If a student is admitted to a graduate program but fails to complete that program, and this happens two times in two different programs, that same student may not be eligible for future admission to the Graduate College.

UNLV will not issue more than one of the same graduate degree or certificate to a student regardless of the track or concentration. Students may not be admitted to a graduate degree or certificate program they have already earned from UNLV.

Change of Program, Plan, or Subplan

Students are admitted to pursue an advanced degree or certificate in a specific department or program. To change to another department (or program) or degree/certificate (called a ‘plan’), students must submit a new application for admission, the required application fee, and all necessary admission credentials to the Graduate College. In order to change a concentration or track (called a ‘subplan’) within a degree/certificate, graduate coordinator or department chair approval is needed.

Application Fraud and Revocation of Admission

We assume that the information provided on the application for admission is complete and accurate. Subsequent evidence to the contrary may result in the admission being revoked and the loss of any credit or degree stemming from the admission. 

Admission Status and Classification of Students 

Full Graduate Standing

Students accepted to pursue a program leading to an advanced degree are classified as having Full Graduate Standing. The Full Graduate Standing classification allows students to plan and matriculate in a degree program, to request formation of an advisory committee, and to be assigned or select a faculty advisor, depending on the degree program.

Provisional Graduate Standing

Students whose previous academic records are not strong enough to merit Full Graduate Standing may be granted probationary admission and classified as Graduate Provisional. This classification does not apply to students with deficiencies or insufficient undergraduate credits in the chosen field of study. The Graduate College and the student’s department determine placement in this classification.

A provisional student must complete nine credit hours of graduate-level course work selected by the department and listed on the Certificate of Admission. The student must complete this course work within one year of admission, with grades of B or higher (B- grades are unacceptable) before taking additional course work. Failure to complete the required course work in the specified period or earning a grade less than B (3.00) will automatically revoke the student’s admission.

When the Graduate College receives confirmation of the appropriate grades being earned in the required course work, the student will be given Full Graduate Standing status. A student may only be admitted as a Graduate Provisional student once.

Conditional Admission

A Conditional Admission status does not reflect an applicant’s ability to conduct graduate-level work, but is granted when the applicant must complete course deficiencies as part of the program or meet some additional requirements before finalizing admission, i.e., a final transcript of course work in progress while applying for admission, a missing letter of recommendation or standardized test score, etc. Graduate Provisional students may also be classified as Conditional Admission. The Certificate of Admission will specify which requirements must be met and the date by which they must be met in order to maintain admission to the program. Failure to meet the condition(s) will automatically cancel the student’s admission and result in separation from the student’s graduate program.

Non-Degree-Seeking Graduate Students

The Non-Degree-Seeking Student status is assigned to individuals with baccalaureate degrees who wish to take graduate courses but not yet pursue an advanced degree. Applications for admission as a Non-Degree-Seeking Graduate Student are processed through the Graduate College. Generally, Non-Degree-Seeking Students may enroll in up to 15 credit hours per semester, but they are not eligible for federal financial aid or Graduate College scholarships or fellowships.

Graduate programs and faculty determine whether non-degree-seeking graduate students may enroll in their graduate courses. Department faculty are responsible for determining the adequacy of preparation of Non-Degree-Seeking Students before allowing them to take upper-division or graduate courses which are open to Non-Degree-Seeking Graduate Students. The student should check with the department about graduate courses accessible to Non-Degree-Seeking Students. It is the student’s responsibility to provide proof of adequate preparation.

A Non-Degree-Seeking Graduate Student wishing to seek a degree must apply for admission to the Graduate College and pay an application processing fee. Non-Degree-Seeking Graduate Students may transfer up to 15 UNLV credits with grades of B or higher into a degree program. Courses taken as a Non-Degree-Seeking Graduate Student count toward the degree program at the discretion and approval of the graduate coordinator, and/or department chair, and Graduate Dean.

Undergraduates Taking Graduate-Level Courses

Undergraduates with a minimum of 90 semester hours of credit and a 3 .00 or higher grade point average may enroll in graduate courses. Students in the Honors Program must have a minimum of 45 semester hours of credit and a 3.00 or higher grade point average. The Approval for an Undergraduate to Enroll in Graduate-Level Course Work Form must be completed and necessary signatures obtained and approved by the Graduate College prior to registration. Students may enroll in up to six hours of graduate-level courses during one semester.

Reserving Courses for Graduate Credit. Upon approval, and pursuant to the policy above, UNLV undergraduates may take 500/600/700-level course work and reserve the credits earned for possible future use in an advanced degree program. Course work reserved for graduate credit may not be used to satisfy baccalaureate degree requirements.

Graduate Courses for Undergraduate Credit. Upon approval, and pursuant to the policy above, UNLV undergraduates may take 600/700-level course work for use in an undergraduate degree program. Courses used in an undergraduate program may not be applied toward an advanced degree at a later date. 

Graduate Students Taking Undergraduate-Level Courses

If a graduate student takes undergraduate-level courses in their graduate career, the enrollment will be marked as cross-career on the student’s official transcript and those courses will not contribute to earned credits or GPA. If graduate students need undergraduate-level courses to show as earned credit on their transcript for employment or educational reasons, they must submit an undergraduate non-degree seeking application through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and register for those courses in an undergraduate career.

If a graduate student takes undergraduate courses in their graduate career and needs them changed to earned credit at a later date, they will be required to submit an undergraduate non-degree seeking application to Office of Undergraduate Admissions in order for the coursework to be moved.

Immunization Requirements

Nevada Administrative Code (441A.755) requires that all students, who attend courses on campus, must provide documentation of having received the following immunizations unless excused by religious belief or medical condition and with an approved waiver on file with the Office of the Registrar:

  1. Two doses of the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR). The first dose must be on or after your first birthday.
  2. One dose for tetanus/diphtheria (TD), taken in the last 10 years

Copies of immunization records must be sent to the Office of the Registrar, either: via fax at: 702-895-1118 or hand delivered (Student Services Complex – SSC-C, near the Tropicana Garage). If students feel comfortable sending these documents via email, they may also email a copy to

Acceptable Proof of Immunization:

  • Childhood immunization card signed by a physician or nurse, including the facility name and address
  • High school or college records
  • Military, state, or county records
  • Lab report that indicates immunity (titer test for MMR)
  • Health department records

Nevada Residency 

The UNLV Registrar’s Office determines the Nevada residency of graduate students according to the Board of Regents regulations and the laws of the State of Nevada. Persons, such as Nevada certified school teachers and Armed Forces personnel stationed in Nevada, are normally accorded residency status. A full statement of the regulations is available online

Registration Policies 

The University outlines specific registration procedures in the Registrar’s Calendars and Schedules page, which is updated prior to each semester by the Registrar’s Office. Students must register for classes using the procedures outlined in the class schedule including enrolling by the dates and times specified for each semester or special session. Students paying fees after the date and time specified in the schedule may be charged a late fee. An administrative drop may result for nonpayment of fees. The registration or enrollment of a student ineligible to attend the University is subject to immediate cancellation. A full-time graduate student is one who is enrolled in nine or more semester credits, or six credits per semester for UNLV graduate assistants. For additional information regarding full-time and half-time status please visit the Academic Policies Definition of Full-Time and Half-Time Students  section of the Graduate Catalog.

Adding or Dropping Classes

Students may add or drop a course up to the close of the late registration period. After this date, and with approval, students may make changes only when the circumstance is sufficiently extraordinary to warrant an exception.

Dropping/Withdrawing from Classes

The terms drop and withdraw are used interchangeably. The academic policies and calendar dates for dropping and withdrawing are the same. Drop generally refers to dropping one or more courses during a given semester. Withdrawal generally refers to the act of dropping all courses during a given semester.

A student may drop or withdraw from full semester courses during the free drop period (first ten weeks of the fall or spring semester) without a grade. The instructor must provide a preliminary evaluation of the student’s grade before the end of the free drop period. No drops or withdrawals will be permitted after the end of the free drop period as published in the current class schedule (see Grades and Examinations). Refer to the appropriate class schedule for drop dates for special modular courses, short courses, extended education and summer term courses. Students who stop attending class and fail to file an official drop request form with the Registrar will receive a grade of F.

A student who has officially dropped a class and who is no longer registered for credit or audit is ineligible for further attendance in that class.

Cancellation of Registration

The University reserves the right to cancel any registration in specific courses for which the student is ineligible. The registration of any student who is ineligible to attend the University is subject to immediate cancellation. The University also reserves the right to cancel the registration of an individual whose attendance, in the opinion of the appropriate administrative officials, would not be mutually beneficial to that person and to the institution.

Cancellation of Courses and Programs

The University reserves the right to cancel any registration in which the enrollment is insufficient to warrant offering the course and/or to eliminate, cancel, phase out or reduce in size courses and/or programs for financial, curricular or programmatic reasons.

Repeat Policy

Any course may be repeated, regardless of the grade received. Credit will be allowed only once for successful completion of the course, except for courses designated in the catalog as allowable repeats; these courses may be repeated only up to the maximum number allowed in the catalog and MyUNLV system. A student may repeat any UNLV course once at UNLV and not have the original grade included in the computation of the grade point average. The repeat grade must be on the same grading option as the original grade. The original grade will remain on the student’s academic record with suitable notation. For courses repeated prior to February 1971, both the original grade and the repeat grade are included in the grade point average. Students are responsible for providing the Registrar’s Office with written notification when a repeat course is completed. Computer-printed grade reports may not initially compensate for repeated courses. Grade point averages, credits attempted, and credits earned will be manually adjusted.

When a course is repeated more than once, only the original grade is omitted in computing the grade point average. The fact that UNLV has granted a degree to a student shall not preclude the student’s right to repeat a course for the purpose of improving a grade. However, class standing will not be affected by the results. A student receiving a final grade of ‘F’ in a course can obtain credit by pre-registering for the course, repeating the class work, and receiving a passing grade.

A failed course cannot be challenged by examination. A failed course does not have to be repeated unless the course is a specific college or department requirement. A student may be allowed to repeat any course once and not have the original grade computed in the graduation GPA. If a course is repeated more than once, only the original grade is omitted in computing the graduation GPA.

Unit of Credit

The unit of credit, or semester hour, is generally defined as one 50-minute lecture per week for a semester. Two or three laboratory hours per week, depending on the amount of outside preparation required, usually carries the same credit as one lecture hour. Please note that graduate courses that are cross-listed with undergraduate courses require the graduate student to complete additional, more advanced work in the course and they may be required to meet for some limited, additional hours to fulfill course requirements as indicated on the course syllabus.

Transcripts of Credit 

Official transcripts bear the University Seal, the Registrar’s signature, and reflect all academic work attempted at UNLV. Upon written request, the Office of the Registrar will issue official UNLV transcripts. Requests should be made at least one week before the date the transcripts are needed. The Registrar will not issue transcripts for any student having a delinquent indebtedness to the University. In addition, transcripts of work from other institutions will not be issued. Work in progress does not appear on the transcript until the semester or registration period officially ends. Transcripts are not prepared during final examination, grade recording, and registration periods.