Jun 21, 2024  
2009-2011 Graduate Catalog 

Admission & Registration Information


Admission to the Graduate College at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas is competitive; the minimum standard is evidence of the ability to matriculate in and complete an advanced graduate degree successfully. The rules and criteria established by the Board of Regents, University, Graduate College, and individual graduate programs determine admissibility.

The Graduate College processes applications and supporting materials when received for the semester indicated by the applicant. All application materials must be received by June 15 for fall and November 15 for spring admission (May 1 and October 1, respectively, for international applicants). Application deadlines vary by department, and many graduate programs have different admissions deadlines that applicants must meet to be considered for admission. Students should contact the department where they are seeking admission to get this information.

In consultation with the Graduate College, departments have the right to establish additional admission standards and criteria. It is the responsibility of the applicant to contact the appropriate department for information on additional departmental admission requirements. Please note that applicants must submit admissions materials to both the Graduate College and their graduate program of interest simultaneously in order to apply for admission. The process below describes the Graduate College requirements; please also follow the requirements, guidelines and deadlines of your degree program of interest.

Policies & Procedures

Admission Requirements
Admission Status and Classification of Students
Grading System
Immunization Requirement
Nevada Residency
Registration Policies
Transcripts of Credit

Admission Requirements



Requirements for Domestic Applicants

Applicants must meet the following academic requirements:

  1. Hold a baccalaureate or advanced graduate degree from a regionally accredited four-year college;
  2. Have a minimum overall grade point average of 2.75 (4.00=A) for the bachelor’s degree, or a minimum 3.00 GPA (4.00=A) for the last two years of study;
  3. A student who has an advanced degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum overall GPA of 3.00 may, at the option of the Graduate Dean and department, be admitted to an advanced degree program with an undergraduate grade point average of at least 2.00 but less than 3.00.

Requirements and Procedures for International Applicants

International applicants are considered for the Graduate Standing classification only. Besides the admission requirements listed previously, international applicants from countries where English is not the native language, or who did not receive a degree from an institution where English is the language of instruction, must show competency in English. The Graduate College requires a minimum score of 550 (written), or 213 (computerized), or 80 (internet-based) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), 85 on the Michigan Test, or a 7 band or higher on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

Credentials not written in English must be accompanied by an English translation certified as true by a university official, an official representative of a United States embassy or consulate, the United States Information Service, the United States Education Foundation, or an approved professional translating service. Notarized copies of originals or translations are not considered official.

International  applicants must submit a completed Certificate of Finance to the Office of International Students & Scholars, must satisfy the financial eligibility requirements, and receive their Letter of Admission from the Graduate College by July 1 if admitted for fall semester and November 15 if admitted for the spring semester before an I-20 will be issued.

For information concerning matters not related directly to the degree program (housing, fees, etc.), contact the Office of International Students and Scholars. Once admitted, international students must consult with this office and their academic advisor.

Application Procedures for Domestic and International Applicants

To be considered for admission, prospective students must complete two simultaneous application processes: one in the Graduate College and the other in the department that offers your program of study. The Graduate College requires  the same application and admission materials from all prospective graduate students, regardless of department of interest. Individual academic departments may require satisfactory composite scores on standardized tests, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, portfolio, or any combination of these or other items. Because departmental requirements vary, please refer to your department of interest for specific application requirements and deadlines.

To apply to the Graduate College, submit the following admission materials for consideration:

A nonrefundable admission application fee, payable to the Nevada System of Higher Education by check, money order, or online by credit card.

*Note: Applications and materials will not be processed until the application fee is received.  Applicants to multiple UNLV graduate programs must pay the admission application evaluation fee for each application filed. Denied applicants, who later seek admission to the same or other UNLV degree program, are required to pay an  additional application fee to cover processing.

  • One official transcript from every postsecondary institution the applicant has attended, showing all degrees and coursework, the dates awarded, and extension and correspondence work.

*Note: Only transcripts sent directly from the institution are considered official. Failure to disclose all course work and/or degrees awarded will result in rescission of admission.

Send Graduate College admission materials to:

University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Graduate College
FDH 352 Box 451017
4505 S. Maryland Parkway,
Las Vegas, NV 89154-1017

Mailing addresses for specific graduate programs are available on department websites via the Graduate College website. Applicants must submit admission materials to your department of interest by their deadline. Because departmental requirements vary, please be sure to refer to your department of interest for specific application requirements. Many graduate programs require some or all of the following documentation:

  • One official transcript from all postsecondary institutions attended, showing all degrees and the dates awarded and extension and correspondence work. Only transcripts sent directly from the institution are considered official. Some  departments only require unofficial transcripts; please check with your department of interest to confirm.
  • Letters of recommendation sent by former instructors, employers, or other professionals who can evaluate the applicant’s potential to complete graduate study.
  • Resume, portfolio, etc. Some departments may request additional materials (i.e., resume, portfolio, statement of purpose, writing samples, and the like).
  • Standardized test scores. In addition, some departments may require satisfactory composite scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), Miller Analogies Test (MAT), or other  standardized tests. Information concerning standardized examinations required for admission to the degree program is available from the Student Development Center. Some examinations are given only four or five times a year and require that registration be completed a minimum of six weeks prior to the test date. With the exception of the Miller Analogies Test (MAT), students may take the required tests at other colleges or universities if taking them at UNLV is inconvenient for the applicant.

The Admission Process

  1. A Student Admission File is created upon receipt of an admission application and fee. Applications are not processed until the Graduate College receives all required credentials. To avoid processing delays, students must submit the online admission application and fee prior to sending additional materials (i.e., transcripts, test scores, letters of recommendation, etc.). Applicants are responsible for making sure the Graduate College and department receive the appropriate credentials by the required deadlines. All application materials, including transcripts, become the property of the university and may not be released to the applicant or any individual.
  2. The Graduate College evaluates the application materials and forwards them to the department for review. Upon review of the materials, the department will make a recommendation to the Dean of the Graduate College for approval. Early submission of all application materials to the Graduate College and department simultaneously, facilitates a more expeditious review process.
  3. Applicants will be notified of their admission status on their Apply Yourself page (online). Those accepted to pursue a UNLV graduate degree will receive a Letter of Admission from the Graduate College. The Letter of Admission is an important document that the student should retain.
  4. The admission process is completed upon enrollment in graduate-level courses for the specified term and degree program indicated on the Letter of Admission. Failure to enroll or withdraw from all course work, during the semester of admission will void the Letter of Admission.

Note: Occasionally a student may be admitted with deficient undergraduate preparation contingent on the deficiency being corrected by completing one or two undergraduate courses early in the graduate program. Students needing more than two undergraduate courses are advised to consult with the department for a recommendation on which courses they should take to meet the prerequisite admission requirements. These courses will not apply toward the advanced degree. Most College of Education departments require a minimum of 18 undergraduate credit hours in professional education courses. Nevada professional certification may be considered as fulfilling this requirement.To be considered for admission for a future semester, the student must reapply and submit another application processing fee.

Transfer Work

Courses used to fulfill requirements for one degree may not be used toward another degree. For UNLV Non-Degree Seeking graduate students, a maximum of 15 graduate credits taken at UNLV may be applied toward a graduate program. Graduate work with a grade of B or higher (3.00, A=4.00) may be transferable into a degree program subject to departmental and Graduate Dean approval. Grades of B-or lower, and courses graded on a satisfactory pass/fail basis, are not transferable into graduate degree programs. With the department and Graduate College approvals, no more than one-third of the minimum number of credits required for the degree (not including credits for thesis, dissertation, and professional/scholarly papers) may be transferred from an accredited graduate degree granting institution.

Second Admission or Readmission to the Graduate College

Students may apply for a second master’s degree (in a different department) or a doctoral degree after completing a master’s degree. In these cases, students must submit a new application for admission, the fee, and supporting credentials required by the Graduate College and the new department or program.

The Graduate College issues only two Letters of Admission without earning a degree. If a degree results from the admission, there is no limit to the number of allowable future admissions.

Change of Department

Students are admitted to pursue an advanced degree in a specific department or program. To change to another department or program, students must submit a new application for admission, the required application fee, and all necessary admission credentials to the Graduate College. Upon admission, the student must withdraw in writing from the original department. Graduate students may not be enrolled in two degree programs simultaneously.

Revocation of Admission

It is assumed that the information provided on the application for admission is complete and accurate. Subsequent evidence to the contrary may result in the admission being revoked and the loss of any credit or degree stemming from the  admission. To reapply for admission after a revocation, a new application and fee are required. Students should contact the Graduate College to determine what additional materials are needed. Materials from the previous application, such as official transcripts, may be used.


Admission Status and Classification of Students



Graduate Standing

Students accepted to pursue a program leading to an advanced degree are classified as having Graduate Standing. The Graduate Standing classification allows students to plan and matriculate in a degree program, to request formation of an advisory committee, and to be assigned or select a faculty advisor, depending on the degree program.

Graduate Provisional

Students whose previous academic records are not strong enough to merit Graduate Standing may be granted probationary admission and classified as Graduate Provisional. This classification does not apply to students with deficiencies or  insufficient undergraduate credits in the chosen field of study. The Graduate College and the student’s department determine placement in this classification.

A provisional student must complete nine credit hours of graduate-level course work selected by the department and listed on the Letter of Admission. The student must complete this course work within one calendar year of admission, with grades of B or higher, (B- grades are unacceptable) before taking additional course work. Failure to complete the required course work in the specified period or a grade less than B (3.00) will automatically cancel the student’s admission.

When the Graduate College receives the grades covering the required course work, the student will be given Graduate Standing status. A student may only be admitted as a Graduate Provisional student once.

Conditional Admission

A Conditional Admission status may be granted when the applicant must submit additional material before finalizing admission, i.e., a final transcript of course work in progress while applying for admission. Graduate Standing or Graduate Provisional students may also be classified as Conditional Admission. The Letter of Admission will specify which material must be submitted and the date the Graduate College must receive it. Failure to meet the condition(s) will  automatically cancel the student’s admission.

Non-Degree Student

The Non-Degree Student status is assigned to individuals with baccalaureate degrees who wish to take graduate courses but not pursue an advanced degree. Registration for classes as a Non-Degree Student is processed through the  Graduate College. Generally, Non-Degree Students may enroll in up to 12 credit hours per semester.

Department faculty are responsible for determining the adequacy of preparation of Non-Degree Students before allowing them to take  upper-division or graduate courses which are open to Non-Degree Graduate Students. The student should check with the department about graduate courses accessible to Non-Degree Students. It is the student’s responsibility to provide proof of adequate preparation.

A Non-Degree Graduate Student wishing to seek a degree must apply for admission to the Graduate College and pay an application processing fee. Non-Degree Graduate Students may transfer up to fifteen  UNLV credits with grades of B or higher into a degree program. Courses taken as a Non-Degree Graduate Student count toward the degree program at the discretion of the graduate coordinator, and/or department chair, and Graduate Dean.

Undergraduates Taking Graduate-Level Courses

Undergraduates with a minimum 90 semester hours of credit and 3 .00 or higher grade point average may enroll in graduate courses. Students in the Honors Program must have a minimum of 45 semester hours of credit and a 3.00 or higher grade point average. The Approval for an Undergraduate to Enroll in 700-level Course Work Form must be completed and necessary signatures obtained and approved by the Graduate College prior to registration. Students may enroll in up to six hours of graduate-level courses during one semester.

Reserving Courses for Graduate Credit. Upon approval, UNLV undergraduates may take 600/700-level course work and reserve the credits earned for possible use in an advanced degree program. Course work reserved for graduate credit may not be used to satisfy baccalaureate degree requirements.

Graduate Courses for Undergraduate Credit. Upon approval, UNLV undergraduates may take 600/700-level course work for use in an undergraduate degree program. Courses used in an undergraduate program may not be applied toward an advanced degree at a later date.


Immunization Requirement



Nevada state law requires all new University of Nevada, Las Vegas graduate students to submit proof of immunization before they may register for classes. New students are required to provide proof of immunity to remove a registration hold. The Graduate College sends immunization forms along with the admission notification. For further information, contact the Student Health Center at (702) 895-3370.


Nevada Residency


The Dean of the Graduate College determines the Nevada residency of graduate students according Board of Regents regulations and the laws of the State of Nevada. Persons, such as Nevada certified school teachers and Armed Forces personnel stationed in Nevada, are normally accorded residency status. A full statement of the regulations is available online.

Registration Policies



The university outlines specific registration procedures in the Schedule of Classes, which is made available prior to each semester by the Registrar’s Office. Students must register for classes using the procedures outlined in the class schedule including enrolling by the dates and times specified for each semester or special session. Students paying fees after the date and time specified in the schedule may be charged a late fee. An administrative drop may result for nonpayment of fees. The registration or enrollment of a student ineligible to attend the university is subject to immediate cancellation. A full-time graduate student is one who is enrolled in nine or more semester credits or equivalent or six credits for graduate assistants. 

Adding or Dropping Classes

Students may add or drop a course up to the close of the late registration period. After this date, and with approval, students may make changes only when the circumstance is sufficiently extraordinary to warrant an exception.

Dropping/Withdrawing From Classes

The terms drop and withdraw are used interchangeably. The academic policies and calendar dates for dropping and withdrawing are the same. Drop generally refers to dropping one or more courses during a given semester. Withdrawal generally refers to the act of dropping all courses during a given semester.

A student may drop or withdraw from full semester courses during the free drop period (first ten weeks of the fall or spring semester) without a grade. The instructor must provide a preliminary evaluation of the student’s grade before the end of the free drop period. No drops or withdrawals will be permitted after the end of the free drop period as published in the current class schedule (see Grades and Examinations). Refer to the appropriate class schedule for drop dates for special modular courses, short courses, extended education and summer term courses. Students who stop attending class and fail to file an official drop request form with the Registrar will receive a grade of F.

Students who wish to withdraw from all classes must obtain a Withdrawal form from the Registrar’s Office, obtain all required signatures, and return the form to the Registrar’s Office. The withdrawal is official only after the Registrar’s Office accepts it.

A student who has officially dropped a class and who is no longer registered for credit or audit is ineligible for further attendance in that class.

Cancellation of Registration

The university reserves the right to cancel any registration in specific courses for which the student is ineligible. The registration of any student who is ineligible to attend the university is subject to immediate cancellation. The university also reserves the right to cancel the registration of an individual whose attendance, in the opinion of the appropriate administrative officials, would not be mutually beneficial to that person and to the institution.

Cancellation of Courses and Programs

The university reserves the right to cancel any registration in which the enrollment is insufficient to warrant offering the course and/or to eliminate, cancel, phase out or reduce in size courses and/or programs for financial, curricular or programmatic reasons.

Repeat Policy

Any course may be repeated, regardless of the grade received. Credit will be allowed only once for successful completion of the course, except for courses designated in the catalog as allowable repeats. A student may repeat any UNLV course once at UNLV and not have the original grade included in the computation of the grade point average. The repeat grade must be on the same grading option as the original grade. The original grade will remain on the student’s academic record with suitable notation. For courses repeated prior to February 1971, both the original grade and the repeat grade are included in the grade point average. Students are responsible for providing the Registrar’s Office with written notification when a repeat course is completed. Computer-printed grade reports may not initially compensate for repeated courses. Grade point averages, credits attempted, and credits earned will be manually adjusted.

When a course is repeated more than once, only the original grade is omitted in computing the grade point average. The fact that UNLV has granted a degree to a student shall not preclude the student’s right to repeat a course for the purpose of improving a grade. However, class standing will not be affected by the results. A student receiving a final grade of ‘F’ in a course can obtain credit by pre-registering for the course, repeating the class work, and receiving a passing grade.

A failed course cannot be challenged by examination. A failed course does not have to be repeated unless the course is a specific college or department requirement. A student may be allowed to repeat any course once and not have the original grade computed in the graduation GPA. If a course is repeated more than once, only the original grade is omitted in computing the graduation GPA.

Unit of Credit

The unit of credit, or semester hour, is generally defined as one 50-minute lecture a week for a semester. Two or three laboratory hours per week, depending on the amount of outside preparation required, usually carries the same credit as one lecture hour.

Course Numbers

Graduate-level courses are numbered 500-799. Undergraduate-level courses are numbered 100-499.


Numbers separated by a hyphen indicate courses which must be taken in sequence. The first semester is prerequisite for the second, for example, 701-702. Numbers separated by a comma indicate courses which may be taken one without the other, for example (701, 702). Various areas of the same course may be taken for credit. They are indicated by letters, for example A., B., etc.


Grading System



The following symbols are used in reporting and recording student grades:

  A Superior
  B Above Average
  C Average
  D Below Average
  F Failing
  AD Audit
  I Incomplete
  S Satisfactory
  X Hold Grade

Note: Faculty members have the option of using plus (+) and minus (-) for grades of A, B, C, and D. Exception: A+ grades are not given.


I or Incomplete Grade

The following regulations apply to the ‘I’ or Incomplete grade:

  1. The ‘I’ grade is used for content/lecture type courses designed to be completed within one semester and where the student has failed to complete all of the requirements. The instructor is responsible for determining if the reason for non-completion is satisfactory.
  2. An ‘I’ is given only when a minor part of the course work remains incomplete and the major portion has been completed at a level which is clearly passing.
  3. Graduate students receiving an ‘I’ grade in 500, 600- or 700level courses have one calendar year to complete all course requirements and remove the ‘I’ grade; however, the instructor may require that it be made up in less time. If course requirements are not completed within one year, the Registrar’s Office will automatically record a grade of ‘F’. Students must make up an Incomplete in a 400-level or lower course in one semester.

S or F (Satisfactory or Failing) Grades

The Satisfactory (S) or Failing (F) mark is used upon completion of the thesis, dissertation, professional paper or for noncredit or satisfactory/fail courses. Grade-point values are not assigned for S. Many graduate and professional schools may not accept satisfactory/fail credits, or accept them only if accompanied by written evaluations of the work accomplished in such courses that bear upon the field of specialization. Additional evidence such as GRE or other advanced test results may also be required. UNLV does not accept graduate courses graded satisfactory/fail for use in a degree program except thesis, dissertation, or professional paper credits.

X (Hold) Grade

The X grade is restricted to 500-, 600- or 700-level research or clinical practicum courses where the course requirements may extend beyond one semester.

Grade Changes

A reported grade may be changed because of a clerical error made by the instructor or Registrar. Grade changes require the approval of the Graduate College Dean. Under present university regulations, the Registrar cannot change a grade once six months have passed following issuance of the official student grade report.


Transcripts of Credit


Official transcripts bear the University Seal, the Registrar’s signature, and reflect all academic work attempted at UNLV. Upon written request, the Office of the Registrar will issue official UNLV transcripts. Requests should be made at least one week before the date the transcripts are needed. The Registrar will not issue transcripts for any student having a delinquent indebtedness to the university. In addition, transcripts of work from other institutions will not be issued. Work in progress does not appear on the transcript until the semester or registration period officially ends. Transcripts are not prepared during final examination, grade recording, and registration periods.