Jul 20, 2024  
2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog 

Student Services & Activities

 Click on any of the following links for information:

The University is committed to placing students at the center of all that we do. In addition, we work to foster good citizenship and appropriate responsibility among all members of the university community. It is our job to create an environment in which students can learn—where they will be challenged, where they can take risks, where they will be safe. Students have opportunities for recreation and entertainment through intramural programs, athletic events, concerts, and other cultural events as well as opportunities for involvement in student government, campus activities, honor societies, and faculty research.

The Division of Student Affairs assists students in their intellectual, social, and personal development. We share responsibility for creating an environment that is conducive to learning and personal development. Programs and services within Student Affairs are organized in six units: Student Affairs Administration, Campus Life, The Center for Academic Enrichment and Outreach, Office of the Registrar, Police Services, and Student Wellness.

Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs

^ Top

The Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs is located in Flora Dungan Humanities Building (FDH), Room 514. The Vice President is responsible for coordinating services and programs offered within the Division of Student Affairs. Responsibility for the student judicial affairs process rests with the Vice President. The Vice President works with student leaders, contract providers, and division staff to ensure that students are well served.

Housing and Residential Life

^ Top

The Office of Housing and Residential Life, in collaboration with the students living in the residence halls, is responsible for the development of a comprehensive housing and food service program. The residence halls are staffed by full-time professionals trained in counseling and college student development and by student peer advisors who undergo extensive training. Residence hall staff and students work together to create an environment that supports student academic achievement, healthy lifestyle choices, responsible behavior, and personal development.

The Office of Housing and Residential Life is located in Tonopah North. Students wishing to live in the residence halls must request a residence and dining hall contract directly from this office or can download the contract by accessing the Internet at housing.unlv.edu. Housing is available on a first come first-served basis to any full-time, regularly enrolled student. Freshman students graduating from high schools outside of Clark County, Nevada, are required to live in the on-campus residence halls unless excused by the Housing and Residential Life Office. For specific information on the freshman on-campus housing regulation, contact the Housing and Residential Life Office in Tonopah North or by telephone at 702-895-3489.

Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation
The University of Nevada, Las Vegas Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation requires that all unmarried undergraduate freshman students who have been admitted for study and who are enrolled for a least 12 credit hours reside in university residence halls unless:

  1. The student has been excluded from this requirement (see A below).
  2. The student has been granted an exemption from this requirement (see B below).
  3. The student has been excused from this requirement (see C below).
  4. Space is no longer available in the residence halls.
  1. Exclusion From the Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation
    Exclusions from the on-campus living requirement will be provided for those students who, prior to July 1 for fall semester, December 10 for spring semester, or May 1 for summer term, submit appropriate documentation to the Office of Housing and Residential Life indicating that they have:
    1. Married.
    2. Achieved sophomore class standing by earning at least 24 semester credits.
    3. Completed high school at least one calendar year previous and, because an independent living style has been established, it is unlikely that the residence hall experience would be educationally beneficial.
    4. Been previously enrolled at this or another university as a full‑time student for a least two semesters or the equivalent.
  2. Exemptions for the Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation
    Graduates of high schools located in Clark County whose actual residence is with parents, guardians, or close adult relatives are automatically exempted from this requirement.

    Requests for exemptions from this regulation by students who graduated from high schools outside of Clark County must be submitted on the form available through the Office of Housing and Residential Life by July 1 for fall semester, December 10 for spring semester, or May 1 for summer term and may be approved if actual local residence is with parents, guardians, or close adult relatives not subject to the on-campus living requirement. The student is required to register with the Office of Housing and Residential Life and qualifies for exemption when the actual local residence is with parent, legal guardian, grandparent, adult aunt or uncle, or adult brother or sister and the actual local residence is within metropolitan Las Vegas, including greater Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Boulder City, Henderson, and Blue Diamond.
  3. Requests to Be Excused
    Requests to be excused from compliance with the Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation will be considered by the Office of Housing and Residential Life provided the specific request supports a reason listed below and that the written request to be excused is received by the Office of Housing and Residential Life by July 1 for fall semester, December 10 for spring semester, or May 1 for summer term.
    1. Medical necessity certified by a physician and approved by the Office of Campus Housing after reasonable accommodations are made in room assignment, facilities, or other adaptation.
    2. Financial hardship supported by Family Financial Statement (FFS) or Family Aid Form (FAF) evaluated by the Office of Student Financial Services and approved by the Office of Housing and Residential Life in accordance with the established standards for the determination of financial hardship. Approximately six to eight weeks are needed to process the FFS or FAF forms, and no request for a financial hardship can be considered until the forms have been processed.
    3. Special circumstances supported by compelling documentation. The denial or approval of the request will depend upon substantiation of the circumstances.
  4. Compliance with Regulation
    Compliance with the Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation is a condition of initial registration and continuing enrollment at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
    1. All regularly admitted students who have not earned 24 semester hours of college-level credits and who are enrolling as full-time students for either an academic semester (12 or more credits) or a summer term (six or more credits) are subject to this policy.
    2. First-time freshmen requesting exemption or to be excused from the on-campus housing requirement must complete their requests with the Office of Housing and Residential Life prior to the dates specified in each section.
    3. Transfer students to the University of Nevada, Las Vegas must present documentation of eligibility for exclusion in the form of transcripts to the Office of Housing and Residential Life .

The Office of Housing and Residential Life  is the only agent for administration of the Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation. All approvals for waiver (exclusion, exemption, or excused) from this requirement must be in writing from the Office of Housing and Residential Life. Proof of compliance with the Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation is the responsibility of the student, and failure to comply with this regulation may be cause for denial or cancellation of registration.

On-Campus Housing and Food Service
Students choosing to live on campus will find themselves living in modern, comfortable, and conveniently located residence halls. All residence halls have been constructed or renovated since 1988 and are located in the southeast section of campus, only a few minutes’ walk from the center of campus. Residence hall rooms, with few exceptions, are double-occupancy; two rooms share a bath. Each student will have a bed and mattress, study desk and chair, wardrobe or closet space, and drawers for storage. Ample lounge space for studying and socializing is found in each building. All buildings are air-conditioned, provide laundry facilities, and TV and are close to the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

Students will find that a number of special features accompany residence hall living. Students have the opportunity to live in residential environments planned around specific themes such as freshman support programs, upper‑class programs, substance-free and study-intensive. Computer labs are available at no charge. Parking is located near most of the buildings. Residents are provided with local phone service from their room at no additional cost; long-distance service can be accessed by the use of a calling card.

Students choosing to live in the residence halls become members of a vibrant community. Students have the opportunity to participate in a wide variety of activities and take on leadership roles through student program committees, the Residence Hall Association (student government), and student employment positions. New residents will find their floor a center of activity and learning. Guided by a resident assistant, a carefully selected and specially trained upperclassman, the floor members will establish and monitor floor standards and plan events, and will assist each other in mastering the challenges of college.

Food Service: The Hazel M. Wilson Dining Commons, immediately adjacent to the residence halls, was constructed in 1990. All residents must participate in the dining program, the cost of which is included in the residence hall fee. A variety of meal plans and eating options are available, providing students with a wide variety of food from which to choose a balanced diet. Special meals and dining events occur throughout the year. For health and safety reasons, cooking is not permitted in the residence halls.

Residence and Dining Hall Costs: The cost of room and board will vary depending on the meal plan selected. For detailed information about housing and food service fees, please contact the Housing and Residential Life office or visit our website at http://housing.unlv.edu

Room and Board Refund: Residence hall students officially withdrawing from the university will receive a room and board refund according to terms and conditions of the dining and residence halls contract.

Applying for Housing: On-campus housing, 702-895-3489, is offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Freshmen who have graduated from high schools outside of Clark County, Nevada, are required to live in on-campus housing.  The Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation is published in the Admissions section of this catalog. Questions regarding the regulation can be addressed to the Housing and Residential Life  office. While approximately 1,700 beds exist on campus, the demand for housing usually exceeds availability. Interested students should request a contract directly from the Housing and Residential Life  office or can download the contract by accessing the Internet at housing.unlv.edu. Associated fees and all reservation information can be accessed on the website or questions can be addressed by calling.

Other Housing: Married students must seek housing off campus. More than 40 apartment complexes are available within walking distance of the campus. These rental apartments are available at a wide range of costs, depending upon the accommodations.

Students living off campus may purchase a commuter student meal card or pay for each meal in the Dining Commons.

Campus Copy Center

^ Top

A full-service copy center, off of Harmon near the Lied Library is available for faculty, staff, and students. Discounted prices are available. All copyright regulations apply.

Student ID Card (Rebel Card) Services

^ Top


You will need an identification card for various uses on campus, i.e., computer lab, library, physical education facility use, getting a parking permit, plays, concerts, selling back books, games room, CSUN elections, and student discounts.

The RebelCard is the official UNLV identification card. To get your RebelCard you must be registered and present a state or federal ID to the RebelCard Service Center located in the Student Union Room 118, next door to Starbucks. You can deposit money to your card and use it as a debit card (RebelCash) at participating locations both on and off campus. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday - Wednesday and 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Thursday and Friday.

UNLV Tickets

^ Top

702-739-FANS (3267) or 866-388-FANS (3267)
Ticket offices are located on campus to handle ticket sales to various events. Locations include:
Performing Arts Center (702-895-2787)
Thomas & Mack Center Special Events (702-739-3267).

Student Union and Event Services

^ Top

Phone: 702-895-4449
Fax: 702-895-1609

Student Union and Event Services provides modern space in the Student Union for the campus community to eat, study and gather under one roof as well as provides centralized scheduling and event planning services for Student Affairs Facilities, the Stan Fulton Building; classroom events for student organizations and outside groups; and campus green space.  The Student Union is the hub of student activity on campus, featuring over 2 million guests each year. It is the place to meet, socialize, play, learn and grow - all in an active environment that fits the livelihood of UNLV.

Student Union & Event Services schedules and serves:
Student Union
Student Recreation and Wellness Center
Stan Fulton Building Ballroom, Classrooms and Conference Rooms 
Summer Conference Housing (groups)
Summer Intern Housing
Classroom Spaces for student groups and non-UNLV entities
University green spaces (Alumni Amphitheater, Student Union Courtyard, North Field, Pida Plaza, Intramural Fields, and SRWC lawn)

Services we provide:
Scheduling and planning
Customized event space set-ups
In-house and rental of audio visual and other specialty equipment
Business services for event Guests
Full selection of audio-visual and other equipment
Event-coordination services (if required or requested)
Risk management assessment and planning
Security and parking coordination
Registration services
Package shipping and receiving for event materials
Recycling coordination and recommendations
Food and beverage planning recommendations
Day of event services
Student Union marketing services (LED advertisements, table tents, banners, etc)
Student Union and Student Recreation and Wellness Center marketing tables
Information for on-campus resources

Career Services

^ Top

Assists all students and alumni with career planning, career development, and job searches. Students clarifying career decisions, seeking career-related experiences, or pursuing a professional job search can benefit from the many services of this office. Specifically, the office provides:

  • Computerized career assessments
  • Career counseling
  • Internship assistance
  • Career Fair events
  • On-campus interviewing
  • Hire A Rebel CareerLink; on-line postings for jobs, internships and career positions
  • Resume-writing assistance
  • Interview coaching (video-assisted)
  • Career-related seminars and workshops
  • Graduate School preparedness

Questions about career-related planning or issues should be directed to the department located in the Student Services Complex (SSC-A room 201) or by telephone at 702-895-3495.Our website is http://unlv.edu/hirearebel.

Disability Resource Center

^ Top


The Disability Resource Center (DRC) is the officially designated office for supporting students with disabilities at UNLV. Students with disabilities are encouraged to contact the DRC about support, accommodations, and services available at UNLV.  To access services through the office, students must apply to the DRC and provide current documentation of disability for review. Applying for services can be done online at https://www.unlv.edu/drc/students/register

The DRC also provides academic adjustments for pregnant students and those needing assistance under Title IX. 

Students experiencing a temporary injury such as a concussion, or broken bone(s) can also seek assistance from the DRC by completing the DRC application.   

The DRC collaborates with students, faculty and the university community to facilitate the creation of accessible environments that support student learning. The DRC strives to empower students by providing services that are designed to foster student independence and self-determination.

The DRC offers a wide range of supportive services so that eligible students with disabilities can access and participate in university programs and courses. Services are provided on a case-by-case basis and may include such supports as testing accommodations, alternative media, assistive technologies, sign language interpreting or speech-to-text services, various other resources and referrals, faculty and staff consultation and workshops and presentations of various topics of interest to students with disabilities.

Questions about services or disability-related issues should be directed to the DRC by phone at 702-895-0866. The DRC is located on campus in the Reynolds Student Services Complex, Building A in Room 143.

NCAA Academic Services and Compliance

^ Top

This office works in conjunction with academic programs and team coaches to provide advising, tutoring, computer access, and other academic support services for UNLV’s 400+ intercollegiate athletes. Office staff may be contacted by telephone at 702-895-0668 or in person at the Flora Dungan Humanities Building, Room 422 (FDH 422).

The Military & Veteran Services Center

^ Top



The Military & Veteran Services Center (MVSC) is located in the Donald W. Reynolds Student Services Complex, Building A, Third Floor, Room 311, and is open Monday through Friday, 8 am – 5 pm. (Phone: (702) 895-2290. Home page: unlv.edu/veterans)

In 2012, UNLV established the Military & Veteran Services Center (MVSC) to better serve our growing student veteran and military family community by developing a welcoming, veteran-friendly campus environment that fosters academic and personal success. We understand the many challenges related to pursuing a degree while serving on active duty, as well as the challenges associated with making the leap from the military to the civilian world. Working with the Student Veterans & Military Family Services Committee to meet these needs, the office is staffed with veterans and VA education benefit-experienced staff to assist more than 1,800 veterans, dependents, active duty service members, National Guard members and reservists with answers to questions concerning: admissions, VA Education Benefit enrollment certification, financial aid resources, campus and community support services, local veteran discounted-housing programs and various networks for veteran employment opportunities.
The benefits of attending UNLV Las Vegas include the following:

  • Nevada residency is granted to all “honorably” discharged veterans within five years of separation and within three years for military family members using VA education benefits.
  • AB 76, signed by Governor Sandoval, will grant in-state tuition to any dependents of KIA service members awarded the Fry Scholarship.
  • Priority registration is provided to all veterans to expedite payment of their Chapter 33 or 31 education benefit housing allowance.
  • UNLV is ranked as a Top 15% or “Gold” “Veteran-Friendly” University (GIJOBS.COM 2011-2018).
  • Military Times magazine ranked UNLV #62 in the Nation as “Best for Vets” out of 602 four-year schools.
  • UNLV offers the VetSuccess program with a VA Benefits Counselor on campus, who serves all our disabled veterans using Chapter 31 benefits.
  • UNLV sponsors a nationally recognized Student Veterans of America organization — Rebel Vets — which was recognized as a top-five chapter out of 1500 chapters.
  • UNLV hosts “Safe Talk” suicide prevention training each semester.
  • UNLV College of Education and Clark County School District are partners for the “Troops to Education” program at UNLV, which provides an accelerated licensing program to any veteran with a bachelor’s degree. 
  • On January 6, 2017, Ross Bryant was named the Student Veterans of America (SVA) national “Chapter Advisor of the Year” at the 2017 SVA National Conference in Anaheim, California.
  • UNLV co-sponsors the semiannual Veteran Hiring Fair with local employers ready to hire veterans.
  • The MVSC, supported by the Las Vegas veteran community, has hosted ten Rebel Vet Graduation receptions to honor our 1,245 student veteran graduates. Each Rebel Vet graduate receives a Rebel Vet graduation coin; a red, white and blue cord; and certificates of recognition from the Governor and the Nevada Delegation. We also conducted a drawing of prizes from the local community.
  • UNLV is a founding partner of and participant in the University of Michigan Peer Advisors for Veteran Education (PAVE) program of peer-mentors, who welcome all new veterans, provide outreach to struggling veterans and coach all student veterans to greater academic and personal success.
  • Las Vegas has a new VA Regional Hospital with state-of-the-art medical services.

Certifying Services include:

  • Certifying student veterans’ enrollment status to the Veterans Administration
  • Making referrals to the Veterans Administration regarding benefits questions
  • Providing the enrollment forms to be submitted each term, and related information
  • Educating our student veterans on challenges related to any disruption in VA payment, changes in the program, and dropped or added courses
  • Providing key transition information for new and transferring students
  • Providing students with information about any changes in VA regulations

Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS)

^ Top


For International Student Services:

Phone: 702-774-6477
Fax: 702-895-0155
Email: OISS@unlv.edu

For International Scholar Services:

Phone: 702-895-0218
Fax: 702-895-0165
Email: scholar@unlv.edu

The International Students and Scholars office (OISS) assists international students and scholars in their transition to UNLV and maintaining their immigration status while studying or working at the university. Initial inquiries about the university, admission applications, transcripts of previous college and universities, and I-20 issuance should be addressed to the Office of Admissions at internationaladmissions@unlv.edu.

Services provided by OISS include orientation, visa/immigration advising and documents for current students, personal and academic assistance, and social and cultural programs.

OISS is located in Enrollment Services Building, SSC-C.

Campus Recreational Services

^ Top

The Office of Campus Recreational Services is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive recreational activities program that provides an opportunity to engage in organized activities for enjoyment, health, and social interaction. The activities that are scheduled and coordinated for UNLV students, faculty, and staff include intramural sports, outdoor equipment rental shop, Outdoor Adventures, and  non-credit courses.

Fitness and Wellness Programs: This component of the department is responsible for all activities including; more than 250 exercise machines such as cardio and selectorized and free weights; group fitness classes including traditional and progressive class format; personal training and fitness assessments.  Personal training, fitness assessment and body composition analysis can be scheduled in the Rebel Wellness Zone (RWZ), 2nd floor of SRWC.  702-895-4400, www.unlv.edu/srwc/rwz

Intramural Sports: This component of the department is responsible for individual and dual activities such as tennis, Ping-Pong, racquetball, etc. Team sports offered include flag football, basketball, soccer, floor hockey, dodge ball, kickball, volleyball and softball. Special events that occur during the year include ooze ball (mud volleyball), Table tennis tournaments, video game console tournaments, etc.  The Intramural Sports office is located in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center (SRWC). Additional questions can be answered by calling our office at 702-774-7120 or going to our website at SRWC.unlv.edu.

Outdoor Equipment Rental Shop: Students can rent camping or recreational equipment for an outdoor experience. Included in the inventory are two- and four-person tents, backpacks, sleeping bags, canoes, stoves, lanterns, snowshoes, coolers, volleyball sets and much, much more. The shop is located in the SRWC or can be contacted at 702-774-7120 or SRWC.unlv.edu.

Outdoor Adventures: This unit is responsible for providing opportunities to individuals who wish to participate in outdoor pursuits. Outdoor Adventures trips include canoeing, hiking, backpacking, camping, snowshoeing, and rock climbing trips throughout the southwest. Information about the current adventures is available for pick-up in the SRWC, call 702-774-7120, or go to SRWC.unlv.edu.

Club Sports: The office of Club Sports assists student organizations interested in recreational activities. Some of the clubs include rugby, boxing, lacrosse, water polo, volleyball, ice hockey, ultimate Frisbee, and tennis. Students interested in joining or starting a recreational club are encouraged to visit Club Sports in the SRWC or phone 702-774-7120, SRWC.unlv.edu.

Student Employment: Opportunities exist in all areas of responsibility within the Campus Recreational office i.e. sports official, office attendant, fitness staff, outdoor trip leader, and supervisor positions. The main office is located in the SRWC. Additional questions can be answered by calling our office at 702-774-7120 or going to SRWC.unlv.edu.

Service Learning & Leadership (SLL)

^ T


Service Learning and Leadership (SLL) creates curricular and co-curricular experiences for participants to discover self, learn in community, and influence systems while pursuing social justice through service and leadership. SLL partners with faculty and community agencies to provide curricular service learning experiences, offers co-curricular leadership and service programs including alternative breaks, directs a 12 credit Leadership Development & Engagement academic certificate program, and oversees the endowed Engelstad Scholars Program and the Hope Scholars Program.

Student Diversity & Social Justice (SDSJ)


Student Diversity and Social Justice (SDSJ) is committed to providing a place for identity exploration and reclamation through co-curricular multicultural, intercultural, and social justice programming in order to serve the needs of underrepresented student populations at UNLV. SDSJ collaborates with the campus community to foster intentional programming, training, and leadership opportunities as well as operates the Center for Social Justice.

Student Involvement & Activities (SIA)


Student Involvement and Activities (SIA) is committed to helping students build connections to the vibrant and diverse UNLV community through innovative programming and involvement opportunities that elevate students’ academic experience, resulting in engaged and empowered leaders in a global society. SIA promotes student involvement including student government, registered student organizations, fraternity& sorority life, and campus activities.

Student Government (CSUN)


All undergraduate students are automatically members of the Consolidated Students of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (CSUN) upon paying their fees and tuition. The goal of CSUN is to enhance students’ college experience by offering needed services, desired programs, leadership opportunities, exciting entertainment, and enriching lectures. Most importantly, the primary focus is to serve as representatives of the students to the university administration and the local, state, and community governments. CSUN is made up of three branches:

  • Executive Branch (President, Vice President, Senate President, Senate President Pro-Tempore, and Directors of student boards).
  • Legislative Branch (25 Senators representing each undergraduate college).
  • Judicial Branch (nine Justices appointed to 18 month terms).

All officers are elected by the student body and most serve one-year terms. CSUN has many boards and committees available for students to get involved; visit their main office in the Student Union for details and applications. Copies of the CSUN Constitution and all CSUN meeting agendas are available on their website and various locations around campus.

Student Media

Scarlet & Gray Free Press, 702-895-1512: The campus newspaper is produced and edited entirely by students, reflects student viewpoints and provides a learning experience for all interested students. The newspaper is distributed free on campus two times a week and can be viewed online at http://www.unlvfreepress.com.

KUNV, 91.5 FM, 702-798-9169: KUNV is the nonprofit, broadcast service of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. The radio station offers quality cultural, informational, and entertainment programming to the Las Vegas community, and provides educational opportunities for students pursuing careers in the broadcast field. Internships, independent study and volunteer work can be arranged directly with KUNV or through the Journalism and Media Studies program in the Greenspun College of Urban Affairs.

Office of Student Conduct

^ Top

The Office of Student Conduct (OSC) collaborates with the UNLV community to provide an inclusive system through enforcement of the UNLV Student Conduct Code by:

• Promoting awareness of student rights and responsibilities;
• Establishing accountability for student choices;
• Creating opportunities for involvement in the process; and
• Striving to uphold the values and ethics that advance the common good.

Students’ rights and responsibilities are outlined in the UNLV Student Conduct Code which governs student behavior on campus. Each student is expected to become familiar with the expectations outlined in the Code. Based on the premise that all students share responsibility for creating a safe and supportive learning environment, the Code outlines procedures for disciplinary action against a student who violates the provisions of the Code. Copies of the Student Conduct Code are available in the office of the Vice President for Student Affairs (FDH 514) and in the Office of Student Conduct (Central Desert Complex, Bldg. #1).

The Office of Student Conduct has responsibility for implementing the Code’s provisions and creating educational interventions that assist students in meeting their responsibilities as members of the university community. This office may be reached by calling 702-895-2308.

Center for Academic Enrichment and Outreach

^ Top

The mission of the Center for Academic Enrichment and Outreach (The Center) is to provide traditional and innovative educational opportunities to  a diverse community through targeted services and research that promote personal success. The Center helps middle school, high school, and college students from low-income families (and from families where neither parent nor guardian has graduated from a four-year institution) access and graduate from institutions of higher learning. The Center’s purpose, then, is to introduce higher education as an option to populations that have been traditionally underrepresented in postsecondary education because of class, social, physical, and cultural barriers.

The Center offers the following services: academic advising, tutoring, instruction in developmental courses (math, science, English, writing, reading comprehension, and English as a second language), assistance with college admissions and financial aid/scholarship applications, counseling on college-adjustment issues, school decisions and admissions, personal counseling, and referrals to other campus and community resources. The Center houses 16 federally funded TRIO programs (Ronald E. McNair Scholars Institute, three Student Support Services programs, two Upward Bound Math and Science programs, three classic Upward Bound programs, four Educational Talent Search programs,  Educational Opportunity Center and two TRiO training projects), as well as three federally funded GEAR UP programs. Other initiatives within The Center include the Family Support Services, Parents Educational program, Mentor and Volunteer program, Summer Food Nutrition program, and Summer Youth Employment program.

Ronald E. McNair Scholars Institute (McNair) is committed to helping diversify the ranks of American faculty and of research institutions by encouraging undergraduate students who are members of underrepresented groups to pursue doctoral studies and consider faculty careers. Students who participate in this program are provided with research opportunities, faculty mentors, stipends, and publication opportunities.

Student Support Services (SSS) assists college students with overcoming personal concerns, academic deficiencies, and financial difficulties that could impair their chances of succeeding in college. It provides students with the necessary tools to develop life skills that aid in increasing retention and graduation rates and to adjust to the demands of the campus environment. Participants, who include disabled college students, receive individualized tutoring, guidance and counseling, financial aid assistance, remedial instruction, GRE/GMAT preparation assistance, and career exploration assistance.

Upward Bound (UB) and Upward Bound Math & Science (UBMS) help high school students prepare for higher education. Qualified participants receive instruction in literature, composition, and foreign languages, while maintaining a heavy focus on mathematics and science. The program has two components: academic year and summer residential. During the academic year component, participants attend classes and workshops at the UNLV campus, where they also receive academic and career counseling, tutoring, financial aid assistance, and college admission information. During the summer residential program, students live in the UNLV residence halls, obtain first-hand experience of being college students, participate in activities that promote educational and cultural enrichment, and receive regular program services.

Educational Talent Search (ETS) serves students in Grades 6 through 12 by providing academic advising/counseling, financial management, admissions requirements, and assistance with various student financial aid programs.

Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) assists qualified individuals 19 years of age and older to pursue postsecondary education. EOC assists qualified participants with choosing a career path and appropriate education channels as well as encourages high school dropouts to return to high school or obtain a GED (General Education Diploma). The goal of EOC is to increase the number of adult participants who enroll in postsecondary education institutions.

TRiO Training Institute provides professional development seminars for TRiO professionals from projects across the nation. Participants receive instruction regarding TRiO regulations and budget management, as well as workshops on assisting TRiO participants with college admission and the financial aid application process.

GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) focuses on providing intense and intrusive services to entire grade levels of Clark County’s poorest schools. The GEAR UP cohort model allows CAEO to serve more than 20,000 students, their parents, their school and their community. Services include instructional enhancements, after-school programming, teacher professional development, volunteer and mentor services, tutoring, skill-building workshops, parental workshops, a speakers’ bureau, and much more.

In addition to providing direct services to participants, The Center conducts, contributes, and sponsors academic research aimed at enhancing the body of knowledge that supports the improvement of retention and academic attainment rates of the disadvantaged and underrepresented populations. The Center’s objective is to increase the enrollment, retention and graduation rates of individuals who come from disadvantaged and underrepresented backgrounds. GEAR UP and TRIO programs at The Center are federally funded through the U.S. Department of Education. All services provided through The Center are FREE to those who qualify. The Center’s offices are located in the Student Services Complex, Room 301, and at 1455 E. Tropicana Ave., Suite 400.

UNLV Department of Police Services

^ Top

The Department of Police Services is divided into three sections: the Police Patrol Section, the Administrative Operations Section, and the Police Emergency Communications & Dispatch Section (Student Security Services is a part of this unit). All are service-oriented and provide a resource to the university community. The Police Patrol Section provides police services to the university 24 hours a day, 365 days per year. All officers are P.O.S.T. (Peace Officer Standards & Training) certified by the State of Nevada as Category 1 Police Officers and have the same authority as Las Vegas Metro officers in their respective jurisdictions. Police Officers are available for emergency assistance by calling 911. University Police provide other services including crime prevention presentations, bicycle, laptop computer, and mobile device property registrations, ride-alongs, crime prevention booths called “Rebel Round-table Meet & Greets” (during fall and spring semesters), background investigations, security surveys, and special-event security for campus events. To inquire about any of these services please call 702-895-3668. The Police Patrol Section also registers and maintains a registry of all sex offenders enrolled as students or working as employees of the university. The list can be viewed at  https://www.unlv.edu/police/sexual-offender. When necessary this list is used to warn the campus community and surrounding businesses of the presence of sex offenders within the campus community.

The Police Administrative Operations Section provides support services for the department and the university community. Several services are available to the campus community through this unit including: police report copy services, fingerprinting services, notary services, and lost & found services. To inquire about report copy and fingerprinting services please call 702-895-4747. Report copy services are available for a fee Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fingerprinting services are also available for a fee Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Lost and found services are based on employee availability and interested individuals should call 702-895-5795 in advance to make an appointment. Notary services are available Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. based on employee availability. The Police Records Office is also responsible for distributing the annual campus safety & security report, daily crime log and timely warnings to the campus to keep community members informed of any criminal activity on the campus. The most recent campus safety & security report or “Jeanne Clery” Report is available on the Internet at https://www.unlv.edu/police/report. The daily crime log can also be viewed on the Internet at https://www.unlv.edu/police/crime-log. Timely warnings and crime alerts are circulated to the campus community as necessary via e-mails, department website, social media, UNLV’s RebelSAFE mobile app, intercampus mailings and posted flyers.

The Police Emergency Communications & Dispatch Section provides a 24-hour emergency communications center for the UNLV Police Department that is open 365 days a year. In addition to providing this service the unit also provides the following services to the university community: campus emergency call boxes, alarm-monitoring capability,  and student security services. Student Security Services personnel are uniformed student employees who carry police radios and act as eyes and ears for the campus police. Suspicious activity is reported to campus police, but no intervening measures are taken by these students, who are not police officers. The Student Security Services Unit also provides a safety escort service to the campus community. Students studying late who wish to be escorted to their residence hall or vehicle need only call 702-895-3668, and a Student Security Services team will respond to escort them where they want to go (based on availability). In addition, Police Services works in cooperation with the UNLV Department of Parking & Transportation Services to provide vehicle assistance (jump starts and tire inflation) for stranded vehicles on campus during the off-hours when Parking Services is closed. If you need assistance with your vehicle please call the Parking Services Division at 702-895-1300; or if after hours, call Police Dispatch at 702-895-3668.

The Department of Police Services has expanded its operations and administration headquarters to three locations. The Police Emergency Communications & Dispatch Section and Student Security Services are located on the main UNLV campus at the Claude I. Howard Public Safety Building located on Harmon Avenue, across the street from the Environmental Protection Agency complex and west of the Lied Library Building. The UNLV Police Headquarters Building is located just off the main campus at 1325 East Harmon Avenue east of the corner of Maryland Parkway and Harmon Avenue (near the Chipotle) The Police Headquarters Building is home to the Police Administrative Operations Section’s operations. UNLV Police Services also has a police facility on the UNLV Shadow Lane Campus in the Shadow Lane Campus Services Building (Building C). This facility houses UNLV Police Services’ Shadow Lane Police Patrol.

UNLV Police Services manages an emergency notification system (E.N.S.) called the RebelSAFE Alert System, which is intended to provide all members of the campus community (faculty, staff and students) with messages regarding imminent or on-going emergencies via personal and university phones and cell phones,  university e-mails, the department’s social media (Facebook & Twitter), public announcement systems on outdoor emergency phones in various locations, video display kiosks, and on the desktops of some univeristy computers. Enrollment in the system is completely voluntary and absolutely free. The system is done through an “opt out” system where all faculty, staff, and students are enrolled in the system from the moment they become part of the UNLV community. Automatic enrollment is only for university e-mail accounts, so anyone interested in receiving text and/or voice messages will have to add these contacts to the system. To update your contact information on UNLV’s E.N.S. simply go to https://www.unlv.edu/police/rebelsafe/update. Once you have arrived on UNLV’s emergency notification page you wil be able to login to the appropriate database & register. In order to register with the system you will have to use your NSHE student identification number and MyUNLV student password to login. If you wish to remove yourself from the E.N.S. you may do so by contacting Ryan Doyle at 702-774-4122.

In the case of an immediate emergency or crime in progress, please call 911. You should know that dialing 911 from any campus phone will put you in direct communication with UNLV Police Dispatchers (not Metro). This system enhances UNLV Police response times thereby providing more immediate police services to the university community. For all non-emergency reports of crime on campus please call the UNLV Police Department at one of its non-emergency numbers (311 or 702-895-3668).

Student Health Services

^ Top

The Student Health Center is nationally accredited and offers comprehensive health services to UNLV students at a convenient on-campus location. The Student Health Center is open Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The semester health fee allows registered and enrolled students to utilize the center without the added burden of paying an office visit fee. Services are available to students through same-day appointments; just call to schedule an appointment on the day you wish to be seen. Specialty clinics (such as sports medicine and gynecology) require a pre-scheduled appointment, so be sure to call ahead. Appointments may also be scheduled through our patient portal, UNLV WellnessView. The portal allows students to make appointments 24/7 from any computer or mobile device. To access the portal, please visit: https://unlv.medicatconnect.com. The health center is staffed by licensed and board certified physicians and nurse practitioners, along with registered nurses, and  certified medical assistants and support staff, to provide essential wellness and medical services of the highest quality on an outpatient basis to the UNLV community. We are located on the first floor of the Student Recreation and Wellness Center within Student Wellness on the south side of campus near the Tropicana Parking Garage.

Services offered at the Student Health Center include:

  1. Treatment of various illnesses and injuries.
  2. Minor surgical procedures, such as skin biopsies, laceration repair/sutures, and joint injections.
  3. Various immunizations and vaccinations (including free flu shots).
  4. Nutrition counseling by a Registered Dietitian.
  5. Early detection and referral of chronic illness or coordination of ongoing care.
  6. Immediate first aid and blood pressure checks. 
  7. Evaluation of allergies, referral for initial antigen treatment, and continuation of allergy antigen injections.
  8. Pregnancy testing and contraception evaluation.
  9. Screening exams and testing for sexually transmitted infections and, free HIV testing.
  10. Referrals and treatment of sexual abuse/assault.
  11. Evaluation, assistance, and referrals for substance abuse and eating disorders.
  12. Blood draws and lab tests available through our licensed, accredited laboratory with a licensed practitioner’s order.
  13. Standard prescription and non-prescription medications available through our licensed, accredited pharmacy.
  14. Free health information and health education programs.
  15. Evaluation and treatment by specialists: sports medicine and gynecology.
  16. Care Management services by a licensed social worker.
  17. For services not available on campus, referral lists to community physicians and services are available.

ALL MEDICAL RECORDS ARE KEPT STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL IN ACCORDANCE WITH STATE AND FEDERAL LAW. Information will not be released to anyone without the written consent of the student except as provided by law or in the case of life-threatening emergency. Students under the age of 18, by Nevada state law, are minors and must have a signed, notarized parental consent and release for medical care on file at the Student Health Center prior to care being given. These forms are available on-line at http://www.unlv.edu/srwc/health-center/forms.

Student Health and Counseling/Psych Service Fees: These mandatory fees supports the various medical and mental health services on campus.

Student Health Insurance: All graduate students taking 9 credits or more per semester, all graduate assistants taking 6 credits or more, and all Law students taking 12 credits or more, must have health insurance coverage either through UNLV or the insurance carrier of their choice. What that means is that all full time graduate and professional students will be charged for UNLV student health insurance. If you are able to provide proof that you carry alternate insurance from a non-UNLV provider, you may qualify for a waiver, and the UNLV health insurance fee will be removed from your account. All F-1 UNLV international students are REQUIRED to purchase UNLV health insurance. International students are automatically charged health insurance fees when they register for classes.

Mandatory Immunization Requirement: The state of Nevada follows the guidelines of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Service Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). Nevada Administrative Code 441A.755 states that a person shall not attend a college or university in this state without proof of immunity to tetanus, diphtheria, measles, mumps, rubella and any other disease specified by the state Board of Health unless excused because of religious belief or medical condition. Additionally, all college freshmen less than 23 years of age who are enrolled at a Nevada university are required to show proof of immunity to or vaccination against meningitis. Students must provide proof of immunity or vaccination directly to the Office of Admissions.

Student Counseling & Psychological Services

^ Top


Pursuing a university education can be exciting and challenging. It can also be highly stressful since social and personal concerns can interfere with students’ academic work and emotional well-being. Student Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is committed to helping students benefit fully from their college experience at UNLV. Our psychologists, counselors, and psychiatrist specialize in dealing with the problems commonly experienced by college students of all ages and backgrounds. We collaborate with students to increase self-understanding and develop the skills necessary to overcome personal concerns.

Confidential services offered to assist students manage the adjustment demands and personal challenges of college include:

  • Individual counseling
  • Group Counseling
  • Couples counseling (At least one member of the couple must be a currently enrolled UNLV student.)
  • Crisis assessment and intervention
  • Psychological assessment and testing
  • Drug and alcohol use assessment
  • Eating Disorder Assessment and Treatment
  • Medication evaluation and management
  • Referrals to community health care providers when the student’s needs cannot be adequately provided for within the limits of a short-term therapy approach
  • Educational workshops and presentations
  • Consultation to members of the campus community (faculty, staff, and students)

All currently enrolled UNLV students who paid their Student Health and Mental Health Fees are eligible for confidential counseling services. Please call us at 702-895-3627 to schedule an initial intake appointment. Our office hours are Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Fridays from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. For situations that need immediate attention, a crisis counselor is available during operating hours.

Our services are provided free of charge, except for certain psychological testing and cost of medication. We are located on the third floor of the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. For more information, call us at 702-895-3627 or visit our website at http://www.unlv.edu/srwc/caps

Rebel Wellness Zone (RWZ) - Wellness Promotion

Location: 2nd Floor SRWC
The Rebel Wellness Zone is your wellness and recreation resource on campus. Our programs and services enhance the collegiate learning experience and encourage lifelong personal wellness. It’s a place for you to relax, recharge and learn to help a friend and yourself! The RWZ and Wellness Promotion staff offer a safe space for GLBTQIA and students in recovery. Programs and services offered via the RWZ include:

  • Relaxation Room with automated massage chairs. Free! Call 702-895-4400 to reserve or drop in.  www.unlv.edu/srwc/wellness-promotion/relaxation-room
  • Registered Dietitian - Nutrition consultations are free for students who have paid the Student Health Fee. Call 702-895-4377 or 702-895-3370. www.unlv.edu/srwc/wellness-promotion/dietitian
  • Free HIV Testing Clinics offered 3-4 times per Fall and Spring semester. Check our website for current semester’s dates/times. Tests are always available for a fee in the Student Health Center. www.unlv.edu/srwc/wellness-promotion/sexual-health
  • Personal Training – Convenient and affordable! Hire a personal trainer to help motivate, educate and guide you to your fitness goals. www.unlv.edu/srwc/fitness-rec/personal-training
  • Fitness Assessments – The first step in developing your fitness goals. Includes measures of flexibility, strength, cardiovascular endurance and body composition. www.unlv.edu/srwc/fitness-rec/assessments
  • Healthy Rebel Peer Educators –Student organization of peers who teach, advocate, and encourage healthier lifestyles on campus. www.unlv.edu/srwc/groups/healthy-rebels
  • HYPER: Collegiate Recovery Support – A student organization of peers supporting other peers in recovery and in living a substance-free lifestyle for any reason. www.unlv.edu/srwc/groups/hyper
  • Campus programs/presentations/events – We host events on campus and offer presentations and programs on alcohol and other drugs, impaired driving, nutrition, physical activity, stress management, sleep, safer sex, relationship communication, body image and more!
  • BACCHUS Certified Peer Educator Training – Leadership empowerment training to become a peer educator and teach with us. National Certification.  www.unlv.edu/srwc/education-workshops
  • Resource brochure library and safer sex kits can be found in our lounge.
  • Free personal hygiene products.
  • Internships, practicum hours and professional leadership opportunities available! www.unlv.edu/srwc/wellness-promotion/internships

The Jean Nidetch Women’s Center

^ Top

Phone: 702-895-4475
Fax: 702-895-0601

The Jean Nidetch Women’s Center is committed to creating a supportive and inclusive environment for all genders through programming, services, and advocacy for the UNLV campus community.

Our programs and services are:

  • Interpersonal violence advocacy:  
    • We offer students of all genders and backgrounds advocacy support related to sexual assault, domestic and dating violence, and stalking.  
    • We provide in-office advocacy, where you can talk face to face with a trained CARE Advocate in a confidential space.
    • All CARE Advocates undergo an intensive 45-hour training as well as continuing education on topics surrounding interpersonal violence.
    • CARE Advocates also staff our 24-hour hotline the UNLV CARE Line.  The CARE Line is dedicated to helping victims, survivors, and secondary victims of interpersonal violence. The CARE Line is a 24/7 service for the UNLV community and connects students, staff and faculty with referrals and resources. You can reach the UNLV CARE Line at 702-895-0602 for assistance.
  • Education, Prevention & Outreach:
    • Education to campus through CARE Advocates. They provide presentations and help facilitate conversations on a variety of topics to UNLV departments, organizations, or classrooms.
    • Green Dot Student Training is an opportunity for UNLV students to learn the skills they need to safely intervene in potentially violent situations. Through videos, group conversations, discussions, role plays, and interactive activities, students will learn about how to detect a red dot, the barriers that exist for all of us when we try to do green dots, and how to find the most helpful green dot for every situation. 
  • Awareness Events:
    • In conjunction with campus and community groups, we organize key events throughout the year that bring awareness and builds community in regards to interpersonal violence and parenting.
  • Internships, practicum and projects
    • Undergraduate and graduate students are encouraged to explore applying theory to practice through their respective academic discipline. Projects, internships and special events are opportunities for students to get involved and advance their academic goals.
  • Lactation rooms:
    • We oversee six lactation rooms throughout campus to ensure there is a safe and private space for students, staff and faculty who would like to meet their breastfeeding goals!

All students are welcome to visit the JNWC on the second floor of the Student Service Complex SSC-A, Room #255 (located directly behind the Cox Pavilion).

Honors, Awards, and Scholarships
Nevada Centennial Medallion Award: A silver medallion is presented each year to the graduating senior who achieved the highest four-year scholastic record at the university. The first medallion, representing the state’s 100th birthday, was awarded June 3, 1964, to a senior in UNLV’s first graduating class. The last of 101 medallions made available by the Rotary Club of Las Vegas will be presented in the year 2064 on Nevada’s bicentennial anniversary. A plaque listing all the recipients hangs in the library.

Phi Kappa Phi Medallion: Graduating seniors who have been initiated into UNLV’s chapter of Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society are presented with bronze medallions hung on a blue cord to wear over the gown at commencement. Each year UNLV’s chapter of Phi Kappa Phi invites to membership the top members of the senior and junior class in all academic disciplines.

College of Business
Phi Gamma Nu Award. Presented to the graduating senior with the highest grade point average.
Wall Street Journal Student Achievement Award. Given to an outstanding business student.

College of Education
Lilly Fong Outstanding Student Teacher Award. Presented to an outstanding senior completing student teaching.
Science and Art Technology. Presented to an undergraduate or graduate seeking initial licensure with a science or art education major.
Evelyn Semling Endowment. Presented to sophomores, juniors, and seniors in undergraduate programs in elementary education.

College of Fine Arts
Colonel Koch Award. Presented to an outstanding art student.
Outstanding Achievement in Art Award
Outstanding Choreographer Award in Dance
Outstanding Graduating Music Student Awards
Outstanding Performer Award in Dance
Outstanding Scholar Award in Dance
Outstanding Theatre Arts Senior Award

Division of Health Sciences
E.R. Squibb and Sons Award. Presented for outstanding achievement in nuclear medicine and radiological sciences.
Outstanding Student Awards in Nursing. The Clark County Medical Society Auxiliary presents awards to outstanding students in the baccalaureate degree programs.

School of Nursing
Outstanding Student Awards in Nursing. The Clark County Medical Society Auxiliary presents awards to outstanding students in the degree programs.
Mary Lou Loveday Endowed Memorial Scholarship: Memorial scholarship offered to a full-time student with children at home.
Maria Tiberti Nursing Scholarship: Awarded by the Tiberti Foundation to a full-time prenursing or nursing student.
Alfred and Marjorie Rappaport Foundation: Awarded by Lahr Foundation to full-time undergraduate and graduate students.
Harry and Rebecca Lahr Scholarship: Awarded by Lahr Foundation to full-time undergraduate and graduate students.

College of Hotel Administration, William F. Harrah
Merit Award of American Hotel Foundation. Presented for meritorious achievement to a finalist in nationwide competition for the Arthur J. Packard Memorial Scholarship.
Outstanding Achievement in Hotel Accounting. Presented to a hotel student showing superior academic achievement overall and in accounting by the Las Vegas chapter of the International Association of Hotel/Motel Accountants.

College of Liberal Arts
Academic Merit Scholarship. Awarded to graduating sociology student holding the highest GPA.
Audre Lorde Award for the Outstanding Student in Gender and Sexuality Studies. Established to honor a graduating Gender and Sexuality Studies major who has demonstrated outstanding scholarship, service, and activism within the field of Gender and Sexuality Studies.
Award for Excellence in Philosophy. Given to a junior or senior majoring or minoring in philosophy, based on a paper submitted in an annual competition.
C. Wright Mills Student Award. Awarded to an outstanding graduating senior in sociology.
John S. Wright Award. Given for best graduating history major.
Joseph A. (Andy) Fry Award. History award given for the best senior capstone paper.
Maura Kaufman Award. Presented to an outstanding student majoring in English.
Ralph Roske Award. Given for best beginning history major.
Outstanding Student in Psychology. Presented to the outstanding senior in psychology.
Psi Chi Distinguished Service Award. Presented to a graduating senior for outstanding service contributions.
Sidney Green Award. Awarded to an outstanding junior in sociology.
Undergraduate Research Award. Presented to seniors in psychology for outstanding achievements in research.
VISTA Award. Awarded to an outstanding graduating senior in the College of Liberal Arts.
C. Wright Mills Student Award. Awarded to an outstanding graduating senior in sociology.

College of Sciences
American Institute of Chemists Student Award. Given to an outstanding senior in chemistry
American Chemical Society Undergraduate Award in Analytical Chemistry
American Chemical Society Undergraduate Award in Organic and Polymer Chemistry
Anne Wyman Mineralogy Award
Boulder Dam Section of the American Chemical Society. Given to an outstanding chemistry student
Chemical Rubber Company Chemistry Achievement Award. Presented to an outstanding freshman chemistry student
Chemistry Department Awards for Achievement in General Chemistry
Clark County Gem Collectors, Inc. Presented to outstanding geology students
Geological Society of Nevada Scholarship
Outstanding Graduating Senior in Mathematics Award
Outstanding Beginning Physics Student Award
Ronald L. Lynn Award. Given for outstanding service to the geoscience department
Terry Evans Memorial Award. Given to exceptional students in aquatic biology

College of Urban Affairs, Greenspun
Outstanding Student of the Year in the Department of Social Work