Jul 17, 2024  
2018-2019 Graduate Catalog 

Academic Policies

Graduate students are expected to comport themselves professionally and conform to the ethics, guidelines, policies, and standards of their discipline. It is the responsibility of students to know and observe all regulations and procedures related to their graduate program, the Graduate College, the Nevada System of Higher Education, and UNLV. In no case will any regulations be waived or an exception granted based on a plea of ignorance, or contention that the graduate program, Graduate College, or University did not specifically and individually inform a student of the regulations or procedures. Questions regarding graduate-level study, graduate student policies, rights, responsibilities, and/or regulations and their interpretation should be addressed with the Graduate College.

The policies and regulations of the graduate program or department, the Graduate College, the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, and the Board of Regents are subject to review and change. The Graduate College website contains up-to-date information on policies, procedures, deadlines, forms, and special programs and services.  The Office of Student Conduct handles issues and questions related to the UNLV Student Conduct Code.

Policies & Procedures 

  1. Academic Integrity
  2. Credit Requirements
    1. Residence Credit Requirement
    2. Graduate Credit
    3. Credit Toward Degree
    4. Transfer Credits
    5. Definition of Full-time and Half-time
    6. Limitation on Credit Load
    7. GA Credit Requirements
  3. Grade Point Average
  4. Continuous Enrollment
  5. Time To Degree
  6. Leave of Absence & Medical Leaves
  7. Probation and Separation
  8. Administrative Drops and Classroom Conduct
  9. Communication
    1. Mailing Address
    2. Rebelmail
  10. Appeals and Procedures
    1. Academic Appeals
    2. Financial Appeals
  11. Records Retention
  12. Policies and Procedures on the Protection of Research Subjects
  13. Mandatory Graduate and Professional Student Health Insurance
  14. UNLV Graduate Assistant Program
  15. Student Use of Hazardous Materials
  16. UNLV Student Computer Use Policy

Academic Integrity

The University and the Graduate College expect scholarly integrity and academic honesty on the part of students, faculty, staff, and administrators.

All academic work must be done in an ethical manner. The UNLV faculty and administration regard any attempt by a student to present as his or her own work that which he or she has not solely produced as a very serious offense. Students are considered to have cheated, for example, if they copy the work of another; use unauthorized notes or other aids during an examination; turn in a paper or an assignment written, in whole or in part, by someone else as their own. Students are guilty of plagiarism, intentional or not, if they copy material from books, magazines, or other sources without identifying and acknowledging the sources, or if they paraphrase ideas from such sources without acknowledging them—even if doing so was unintentional. Students guilty of, or assisting others in, either cheating or plagiarism on an assignment, quiz, examination, or other scholarly endeavor may receive a grade of ‘F’ for the course involved and may be suspended or removed from the program.

Additionally, UNLV has established policies regarding research misconduct among students, faculty and staff. Research misconduct pertains to commission of any of the following acts: falsification of data, improper assignment of authorship, claiming another person’s work as one’s own, unprofessional manipulation of experiments or of research procedures, or misappropriation of research funds. Likewise, most academic disciplines have codes of conduct that faculty and students must abide by, specific to your field of study.

All conduct code violations are handled by the Office of Student Conduct; academic appeals and requests for waivers of Graduate College policies are handled through the Graduate College. If a faculty member suspects that a graduate student may have committed academic dishonesty, or that s/he is otherwise in violation of the UNLV Student Conduct Code, the faculty member or administrator must contact the Office of Student Conduct to discuss the possibility of disciplinary review under procedures described in the Nevada System of Higher Education document Rules and Disciplinary Procedures for Members of the University Community. Academic penalties for academic dishonesty include, but are not limited to: assigning the graduate student a failing grade for the corresponding segment of the course or for the entire course; requiring the student to rewrite the corresponding sections of his/her research paper, professional paper, thesis or dissertation, or the document in full; failing the student on the exam in question; or recommending that the student is separated from her/his graduate program. Further disciplinary sanction options described in the Code include warning, probation, suspension, and expulsion or revocation of a degree if a degree has been previously awarded. The Office of Student Conduct’s final decision will be relayed to the student, their department, and the Graduate College. Please visit the Appeals and Procedures section for further information about Graduate College academic appeal guidelines and procedures.

If a graduate student fails to maintain the standards of academic or professional integrity expected as defined in writing by their discipline or program, the student’s admission status in his or her program will be terminated. If any member of the university community is deemed guilty of academic dishonesty, action may be brought under  Title 2, Chapter 6 of the Board of Regents Handbook. In addition, students who violate these standards will be subject to conduct sanctions, in accordance with the UNLV Student Conduct Code and Policies, in order to promote their own personal development, to protect the university community, and to maintain order and stability on campus.

Credit Requirements  

Residence Credit Requirement

Resident credit means any graduate course that is satisfactorily completed at UNLV. Approved online study through UNLV or enrollment in another institution within the Nevada System of Higher Education does not constitute an interruption of resident credit.

A minimum of 2/3 of the total credits required to complete the master’s, specialist, or doctoral degree, not including thesis, dissertation, or professional paper credits, must be earned at UNLV after admission to a graduate degree program.

Graduate Credit

All courses numbered 500-799 are considered graduate-level. Undergraduate-level courses are numbered 100-499. Some graduate level courses are not usable for graduate credits. One example of this are courses with an RPDP prefix; these are non-graduate credit granting courses and are indicated as such on the UNLV transcript.

  • 500 level classes are generally seen as remedial graduate courses, and they may also be used for non-degree, non-credit bearing courses; these may be cross-listed with 300 or 400 level undergraduate courses, with appropriate curricular review and approval
  • 600 level classes are generally seen as foundational graduate course work, and/or masters level course work; these courses may be cross-listed with 400 level undergraduate courses, with appropriate curricular review and approval. When cross-listed with an undergraduate course, graduate student course requirements will be different from, and more rigorous than, those of undergraduates.
  • 700 level classes are generally seen as advanced graduate course work, and/or doctoral level course work; they may not be cross-listed with undergraduate courses
  • To be considered a graduate-level course, the instructor must be a member of the Graduate Faculty.
  • The Graduate College requires a minimum of 50 percent of the degree program semester hours are 700-level courses excluding thesis, dissertation, or professional/scholarly paper. Individual departments may require more than the Graduate College minimum.


Numbers separated by a hyphen indicate courses which must be taken in sequence. The first semester is prerequisite for the second, for example, 701-702. Numbers separated by a comma indicate courses which may be taken one without the other, for example (701, 702). Various areas of the same course may be taken for credit. They are indicated by letters, for example A., B., etc.

Credit Toward Degree/Certificate

Courses used to fulfill requirements for one degree may not be used toward another degree. Credits used to fulfill requirements for one certificate may not be used toward another certificate. No more than three credits of a student’s degree program may consist of UNLV workshop, institute, and conference credits, and the student must have received a grade for these credits.

A course in which a grade of less than C was received will not be considered for use toward the degree or certificate. Departments may impose a higher grade standard. Experiential (life and work experiences), correspondence, and audited courses may not be applied toward the degree. Credit by examination is not allowed for graduate courses. In addition, courses numbered in the 100-499 series cannot be used for graduate credit.

Credit may be used toward the graduate degree for courses taken while an undergraduate at UNLV only if the course was reserved for graduate credit. See the Admissions section for this information.

Transfer Credit Policy

Not more than one-third of a student’s degree or certificate program (not including the thesis, dissertation, or professional/scholarly paper) may be transferred into the program. For UNLV Non-Degree graduate students, a maximum of 15 graduate credits taken at UNLV may be applied toward a graduate degree program. 

Once admitted to an advanced degree program, students must obtain prior written consent of the department and the Graduate Dean, by way of a Transfer Credit Request Form, to take course work elsewhere and use it in their UNLV graduate degree program.

To be considered for use:

  1. The work must have been taken at a regionally accredited institution in the U.S. or equivalent;
  2. The course must be graded (it may not be pass/fail or S/U or S/F);
  3. The work must have been completed with a grade of B or higher (B- is not acceptable);
  4. Official transcripts covering the work must be sent directly from the issuing institution to the Graduate College; and
  5. The work must be posted to the student’s permanent academic record;
  6. The course must be comparable in content, substance, and rigor to the course work it is replacing in the student’s UNLV graduate degree program;
  7. Work that is used to fulfill requirements for one degree may not be used toward another degree.

Transfer credit is approved only when evidence exists that the work is certifiably graduate-level. The age of the transfer work under consideration may also be a factor in the decision as to whether or not the course work is admissible. The student is responsible for providing evidence and documentation as required. If approved, non-semester credits will be converted to semester credits for transfer.

Definition of Full and Half-Time Students

Graduate students enrolled in 9 or more credits are considered full-time. Graduate students enrolled in 5 to 8 or credits are considered half-time students; this excludes Graduate Assistants who are considered full-time students when enrolled in 6 or more credits. Please note that UNLV considers GAs enrolled in 6 credits as full-time graduate students. However, for federal financial aid purposes, a GA enrolled in less than 9 credits will be considered half-time. For the purposes of Veterans, we consider graduate students enrolled in 5 credits half-time. Regardless of your status, please check with Financial Aid to confirm your eligibility and how your enrollment may impact your financial aid package. Please note that the number of credits enrolled impacts financial aid. Contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships for further information.

GA Credit Requirements

Graduate students normally may not take more than 12 credit hours (10 if a graduate assistant) during the fall and spring terms, unless they are in a professional program that specifically requires additional credits. Graduate students may take no more than six credit hours in a single five-week Summer Term and earn no more than a total of 12 credits during the Summer Term (pre, post, and regular five-week sessions combined). For students who want to exceed the standard maximum credit load, you may do so by submitting an  Overload Authorization Form available through the Grad Rebel Gateway. Appeals must be approved by the Graduate Dean prior to registration.

Grade Point Average

A candidate for an advanced degree or graduate certificate must have a minimum Graduate Program Grade Point Average of 3.00 to be eligible to graduate or receive a certificate. The Graduate Program GPA, computed by the Graduate College, includes all completed graduate course work accepted at admission and all subsequently approved course work that is being applied toward a degree. Please note that the Graduate Program GPA does not appear on a student’s transcript; a student’s Cumulative Graduate GPA is posted on her/his transcript and is calculated from all graduate level course work ever taken at UNLV.

The following symbols are used in reporting and recording graduate student grades:

A Superior (4.0)
B   Passing (3.0)
C    Average (2.0)
D Below Average (1.0)
F Failing
AD Audit (not graded, no credit toward GPA)
I    Incomplete (expires after one year; if not grade is submitted in that timeframe, the ‘I’ will default to an ‘F’ grade)
S   Satisfactory
U Unsatisfactory
X Hold: Grade is submitted upon completion of Thesis or Dissertation or Professional Paper

Note: Faculty members have the option of using plus (+) and minus (-) for grades of A, B, C, and D. Exception: A+ grades are not given. At the graduate level, grades below a B are generally considered unacceptable. Graduate students must have a 3.0 GPA in order to qualify for graduation.

I or Incomplete Grade
The following regulations apply to the ‘I’ or Incomplete grade:

  1. The ‘I’ grade is used for content/lecture type courses (not thesis, dissertation, or professional paper credits) designed to be completed within one year in instances where the student has completed the majority of the semester course work, but is unable to complete all of the requirements with good cause. The professor is responsible for determining if the reason for non-completion is satisfactory, if an Incomplete grade is appropriate, and the terms of the Incomplete, including what the student needs to do to successfully complete the course requirements and earn a final grade.
  2. An ‘I’ may only be given when the majority of the course work has been completed with a cumulative average of ‘B’ or better.
  3. Graduate students receiving an ‘I’ grade in 500, 600- or 700 level courses have one calendar year to complete all course requirements and remove the ‘I’ grade; however, the instructor may require that it be made up in less time. If course requirements are not completed within one year, the Registrar’s Office will automatically record a grade of ‘F’. Note that graduate students taking an “I” in an undergraduate class must complete the course work within one semester or the “I” will default to an “F.”

Satisfactory or Failing Grades
The Satisfactory (S) or Failing (F) mark is used upon completion of the thesis, dissertation, professional paper, or for non-credit or satisfactory/fail courses. Grade-point values are not assigned for S. Many graduate and professional schools may not accept satisfactory/fail credits, or accept them only if accompanied by written evaluations of the work accomplished in such courses that bear upon the field of specialization. Additional evidence such as GRE or other advanced test results may also be required. UNLV does not accept graduate courses graded satisfactory/fail for use in a degree program except for thesis, dissertation, or professional paper credits.

Grading Policy
All instructors are required to follow the Minimum Criteria for Syllabi established by the Faculty Senate and the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost (see https://www.unlv.edu/sites/default/files/page_files/27/Policies-SyllabiMinimumCriteria-2016-17.pdf).

Continuous Enrollment

After admission to a graduate program, students must register for and complete a minimum of six hours of graduate credits in each rolling three semesters (summer enrollment counts toward this minimum enrollment requirement). Students working on a thesis or dissertation must register for at least three graduate credits each semester (excluding summer) until the document has been completed and has been given final approval. Students who have not registered for academic work within the prior three rolling semesters (fall-spring-summer, spring-summer-fall, summer-fall-spring) will be separated from their program and must reapply for admission should they wish to continue. Exceptions to the above policy, as with a request for a leave of absence, are made only with the approval of the student’s advisor, graduate coordinator, department chair, academic dean, and the Graduate Dean. Any student using the services of the academic staff or university facilities must be registered for the period during which the services are rendered or the facilities are used. Students must be registered for a minimum of three graduate credits during the semester they intend to graduate and/or take examinations (e.g., final, comprehensive, preliminary, qualifying), defend a thesis, or defend a dissertation.

Time to Degree Policy

Certificate Students: Certificate programs are designed to be 1-2 year courses of study. All certificate requirements must be completed within 4 years; or 6 years if a student is simultaneously enrolled in another graduate degree program.

Master’s Degree Students: Master’s degree programs are designed to be 1-3 year courses of study. All master’s degree program requirements must be completed within six years. Course work completed more than six calendar years before the term in which all degree requirements are met may not be used in the degree program.

Specialist Degree Students: Specialist degree programs are generally 3-6 year courses of study. A student beginning a specialist degree program and holding a master’s degree in an appropriate field of study must complete all specialist degree program requirements within six years. A student beginning a specialist degree program without a master’s degree (post-bachelors to doctoral track) must complete all requirements for the degree within eight years.

Doctoral Degree Students: Doctoral degree programs are generally 3-6 year courses of study. A student beginning a doctoral degree program and holding a master’s degree in an appropriate field of study must complete all doctoral degree program requirements within six years. A student beginning a doctoral degree program without a master’s degree (post-bachelors to doctoral track) must complete all requirements for the degree within eight years.

In special circumstances, the student’s faculty advisory committee may recommend that the Graduate Dean extend these degree time limits. Each department may establish shorter periods of time to completion, contingent upon the approval of the Graduate Dean and inclusion in the appropriate degree program section of this catalog.

Students violating the maximum time to degree policy, and/or the continuous enrollment policy, are no longer automatically eligible to complete their program using the degree requirements in place at the time of admission. This decision is left to the discretion of the department and Graduate Dean.

Students are considered to be making satisfactory progress toward the degree as long as they are successfully completing six hours of graduate degree program credits per rolling three semesters (including summer), meeting their graduate program milestones, fulfilling degree requirements, progressing toward completion, and submitting all required paperwork in a timely manner. Students not meeting any of these requirements will be placed on academic probation and may be separated from the Graduate College.

Leave of Absence & Medical Leaves

When necessary, a student may request approval for a leave of absence (LOA) from a degree program (please visit the Grad Rebel Gateway to access the form). During the leave of absence, the student should remain in contact with the department about their return plans. If a student does not return by the end of her/his approved LOA, s/he must apply for an additional LOA using the form above or s/he will be separated from his/her graduate program. One year is the standard leave period; two years is the maximum allowable leave. Note that all degree requirements must be completed within the maximum time to degree policy as outlined above, regardless of an approved leave of absence. 

Note: For all medical leave requests please contact the Student Wellness Center at 702-895-0136 or visit: https://www.unlv.edu/studentwellness/health-center/crisis/voluntary-health-withdrawal.

Probation and Separation

For the purposes of evaluating student progression, UNLV considers student performance in individual graduate classes, timely and successful completion of required milestones,  as well as degree GPA. Degree GPA is distinct from overall Graduate GPA insofar as it only includes those courses that are necessary to meet a student’s current degree program requirements as published in the Graduate Catalog at the time of their admission or at the time of their graduation. The Graduate GPA included on the UNLV transcript is cumulative and includes all graduate and professional course work ever taken at UNLV; as such, it is not necessarily an indicator of a student’s degree GPA.

If a student fails to successfully progress in their degree program, they will be placed on probation. Students on probation may be dismissed/separated from their program for failing to successfully meet the conditions of their probation by the deadline provided. Unsuccessful degree program progression is indicated by a failure to:

  • maintain a minimum degree GPA of 3.0
  • earn satisfactory grades (including no more than two incompletes, no grades below a B, or no repeated withdrawals from courses required for the degree program)
  • maintain continuous enrollment by completing six (6) graduate credits each rolling three semesters (including summer) toward their program requirements
  • consult with their advisor when requested
  • establish a graduate advisory committee when required
  • consult with a graduate advisory committee when requested
  • develop and submit an official, approved degree program
  • establish the groundwork for an acceptable thesis or dissertation, and successfully defend the prospectus
  • complete required comprehensive and/or qualifying examinations
  • meet a department milestone or pass the culminating experience
  • successfully defend a thesis or dissertation
  • meet approved requirements in their Department’s Graduate Handbooks

A student will be dismissed/separated from a graduate program for receiving two or more grades below a B or failure to progress in one’s graduate program (as indicated by one or more of the following conditions: failure of required degree program exams, failure to submit required paperwork in a timely manner, failure to meet with advisor or advisory committee as required, failure to successfully complete required classes, failure to successfully defend a thesis or dissertation prospectus, or failure to meet published degree requirements or milestones as listed in this Graduate Catalog). Graduate students will also be separated for failure to meet UNLV continuous enrollment requirements and for inappropriate or unethical conduct as reflected in the UNLV Student Conduct code and adjudicated by the UNLV Student Conduct board review process.

The full Student Program Dismissal Procedures for the Graduate College can be found on the Graduate College Website.

A UNLV graduate student who has been separated for academic reasons is not eligible for admission or re-entry. The student must appeal to the Graduate College to be considered for academic reinstatement.  

Administrative Drops and Classroom Conduct

Failure to attend a course or to submit required work will result in a grade of F. The student who neglects a course is solely responsible for dropping the course or withdrawing from the university. However, an administrative drop may be initiated at the discretion of the instructor, who will record the circumstances. The approvals of the academic unit chair/director, and the dean of the college offering the course, are required

Students have a responsibility to conduct themselves in class and in the libraries in ways that do not interfere with the right of other students to learn or the right of instructors to teach. Use of electronic devices such as cellular phones, or recording devices, or other potentially disruptive activities, is permitted only with prior explicit consent of the instructor. The instructor may rescind permission anytime during the course. If a student does not comply with requirements, or obstructs the functioning of the class, the instructor may initiate an administrative drop.

Serious cases of misconduct, as defined by the Rules and Disciplinary Procedures for Members of the University Community or the UNLV Student Conduct Code, will be referred to the appropriate administrative officer for action. 


Mailing Address

A change of address must be changed by the student through his or her MyUNLV account. Any correspondence from the university mailed to the last address provided by the student to the Registrar and Graduate College will discharge all university responsibility for notification.


Graduate students are required to set-up, use, and monitor their UNLV Rebelmail email accounts. MyUNLV and Rebelmail are the primary ways in which the Graduate College and other campus offices communicate important information to students. Any student wishing to email the Graduate College or any university staff must do so from a UNLV email account. In accordance with FERPA regulations, the Graduate College will not respond to student emails from non-UNLV accounts. 

Appeals and Procedures

Academic Appeals

Graduate academic appeals are used to request reconsideration or a remedy from alleged unfair or inappropriate academic practice, or relief or waiver from a UNLV and/or Graduate College policy or requirement. Appeals must be filed with the Graduate College Office within 60 calendar days from the last day of the term/semester in which the issue being appealed arose. Each appeal is reviewed individually and a decision will be based on the merits of the request as substantiated in the documentation provided.

The Registrar’s Office must receive notification to change a grade due to clerical error within 60 calendar days from the last day of the term/semester. For grade changes after this deadline, please submit a complete and signed Graduate College academic appeal.

When submitting an academic appeal, it is the student’s responsibility to provide a clear and concisely written statement explaining the reason for the appeal and the remedy being requested. The student must also provide all relevant documentation that s/he wishes to be reviewed and considered in the appeal decision. Academic appeals must include:

  1. Current students should log into the Grad Rebel Gateway to complete the UNLV Graduate College Appeal FormIf you were last enrolled prior to 2017 and have not applied to admission to a different Graduate program since then, and need to submit an appeal, please email Grad.Rebel@unlv.edu.
  2. Written statement of explanation of the nature of the appeal.
  3. Relevant documentation and support. For example, documents may include medical records, work verification police reports, death certificates, airline receipts, letters from professors on university letterhead, transcripts, etc. If the issue is not resolved between the student and course instructor, a written appeal should first be directed to the Graduate Coordinator of the department in question. If the problem remains unresolved to the student’s satisfaction, appeals must be directed in progressive order to the student’s advisor, Department Graduate Coordinator, Department Chair, College Dean, then subsequently to the Graduate Dean. 

An academic appeal must be directed in progressive order to the student’s advisor, Department Graduate Coordinator, Department Chair, College Dean, then subsequently to the Graduate Dean. Note that advisors and departments may have varying methods of processing appeals. Students should contact the department for specific policies and procedures. The Graduate Dean may render a decision, act to resolve the problem, or request that the Graduate College Appeals and Legal Issues Committee (which does not convene in summer) review the appeal and make a recommendation to the Graduate Dean. The Graduate Dean will render the final decision and move to inform the student in a timely manner. Generally, graduate academic appeals take from two weeks to several months to resolve, depending on the nature and complexity of the appeal.

Financial Appeals

Appeals regarding financial issues (e.g., tuition refund, tuition waiver, student fees, late fees, etc.) must be submitted separately to the UNLV Student Accounts Office, using their Tuition & Fee Appeal Form. If an appeal involves both an academic and financial issues, the student should submit an academic appeal first to the Graduate College and wait for a decision before commencing with the financial appeal to the Student Accounts Office. For further information concerning the financial appeal process please refer to Cashiering and Student Accounts

Records Retention

Electronic and paper student records must be properly and securely maintained and protected per the Nevada System of Higher Education Records Retention and Disposition Schedule. Questions about records retention at UNLV should be directed to the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost. 

Policies and Procedures on the Protection of Research Subjects

Human Subjects: Graduate students conducting research must adhere to UNLV policies and procedures regarding the use of human subjects. All research projects in which human subjects are involved must be reviewed and approved under the authority of the UNLV Institutional Review Board (IRB), which consists of two committees - Biomedical Sciences Committee and Social and Behavioral Sciences Committee. The IRB is responsible for the development and monitoring of university policy and procedures involving the use of human subjects in research.

The provision for the protection of human subjects in research applies to all studies in all locations, whether funded or unfunded, and whether conducted by faculty, students, or staff. It also applies to persons unaffiliated with UNLV, who wish to investigate subjects under the protection of the university. Students should contact the Office of Research Integrity to obtain appropriate forms and further information.

Animal Subjects: It is university policy that: 1) the proper care and management of laboratory animals is essential to the welfare of the animals, to the validity of research data, and to the health and safety of those caring for or using animals; and 2) the university will comply with federal and state regulations regarding animal welfare.

All animal protocols involving vertebrate animals (including farm animals and wild animals) conducted at, funded through or sponsored by UNLV must be submitted for prior Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) review and periodic review after approval in accordance with university policies and procedures that are required by federal law.

The provision for the protection of animal subjects in research applies to all studies in all locations, whether funded or unfunded, and whether conducted by faculty, students, or staff. It also applies to all studies in all locations, whether funded or unfunded, and whether conducted by faculty, students, or staff. It also applies to persons unaffiliated with UNLV, who wish to investigate subjects under the protection of the university. Students should contact the Office of Research Integrity to obtain appropriate forms and further information. 

Mandatory Graduate and Professional Student Health Insurance  

All fully admitted graduate and professional students taking 9 credits or more per semester, all international graduate students, and all graduate assistants (GAs), must have insurance coverage either through UNLV or their own carrier. 

Students who are admitted into a graduate or professional program and are enrolled in 9 credits (regardless of the course level) in a semester, and all international students and graduate assistants, will be automatically billed for student health insurance. Students who already have health insurance must complete the UNLV online health insurance waiver form to waive out of the UNLV student health insurance. Once approved, a health insurance waiver is good for one academic year.

For more information on Graduate Student Health Insurance fees, please refer to the Mandatory Graduate & Professional Student Health Insurance page of the Graduate College website. 

UNLV Graduate Assistant Program

Policies and Practices

All GAs, as well as faculty/staff GA supervisors and mentors, are responsible for being aware of all policies, procedures, and practices outlined in the UNLV Graduate Assistant Handbook.

Graduate Assistant Parental Leave Program Guidelines

  1. As used in this document, “parental leave” means leave with or without pay for childbirth or placement of a child for adoption or foster care. The Graduate College program will provide up to six weeks of paid GA leave (during the standard GA appointment period), and up to an additional six weeks of unpaid leave or a flexible GA work assignment.
  2. Graduate Assistants (GA) will be provided guaranteed parental leave with pay of up to six weeks at the GA’s discretion during a GA contract period, retaining their full stipends and benefits during the leave. If both parents are Graduate Assistants, the six week leave may be divided between them, as per their request. If needed, GAs may request up to six additional weeks of leave without pay or flexibility in duty assignments.
  3. Departments, faculty, and graduate assistants should continue to work collegially to agree upon the details of the leave, recognizing that these may differ from case to case depending on the timing of the birth/adoption, individual student circumstances/preferences, and type of GA work assignment. Supervisors are expected to work with GAs requesting allowable leave to accommodate requests for alternative workload assignments, and/or flexible workload assignments, in a way that recognizes the special needs of, and potential benefits to, the GA. We encourage departments to support maximum GA utilization of the Parental Leave Program.
  4. The Graduate College Parental Leave Form must be submitted at least eight weeks prior to the anticipated leave, or two weeks before the start of the semester, whichever is earlier. This form details the plan for the parental leave and departmental acceptance thereof, and must be signed by the graduate student, graduate coordinator, department chair, College Dean (if required).
  5. A graduate assistant whose request for a reasonable leave is not approved should consult first with his or her Graduate Coordinator or Department Chair, next with his or her college Dean, and last, if necessary, with the Graduate College. The Dean of the Graduate College will serve as the final arbiter to establish a workable leave plan.
  6. If the GA’s department does not urgently require a replacement GA during the 6-week leave period, the GA stipend/regular pay to the GA shall remain in place. However, if the department can demonstrate an urgent need to hire a substitute graduate student as a GA during the 6 week period (to cover undergraduate class(es), etc.), the GA on leave will have their pay suspended until they return and will be given a replacement scholarship/grant in the amount of the minimum GA stipend for this time period. Parental Leave Grant Amounts are calculated using 6 weeks of GA pay based on program specific minimum stipends.


  1. Generally, GAs must be appointed for at least one semester before the beginning of a leave request. If requesting summer leave, students must have been hired for the previous spring term and have a summer GA contract in place.
  2. GAs applying for this leave program must be in good academic standing and continue to be enrolled in classes during the leave period to meet the continuous enrollment policy.

Important Points to Consider

  • Parental leave may be taken during the semester in which the child is born or adopted, or during the semester immediately following.
  • Parental leave does not constitute a break in continuous enrollment. All GAs must maintain 6 graduate level credits each semester they are a GA, including when on approved parental leave; if a graduate student chooses unpaid leave via an approved leave of absence or medical leave, registration is not required.
  • Students supported by a research assistantship funded by external sources, such as grant funding, you must adhere to the rules of the granting agency in regard to leaves from work. If the granting agency defers to University policy regarding paid parental leave, the six-week leave will be paid by the grant. If the granting agency requires suspension of payment during the leave period, the student may be eligible for substitute payment from this program. If the leave occurs at the end of the semester or at the end of a contract period, financial support will not be continued beyond the end of the contract.

Student Use of Hazardous Materials

Certain courses may require students to work with potentially hazardous materials in the lab, darkroom, or workshop. Instructors will provide instructions regarding the safe handling of all materials. Questions should be directed to the specific academic department or instructor, and all such activities must comply with national, state, local, UNLV and Office of Risk Management guidelines and requirements.

UNLV Student Computer Use Policy

Open computer laboratories and WiFi internet access are provided as a service to students. Use is a privilege, not a right. Users should be good citizens; they must refrain from doing anything that annoys others or disrupts the educational experiences of their peers. Failure to comply with the regulations below may result in suspension under the NSHE Code, or civil or criminal action under the Nevada Revised Statutes, or federal law. It is a violation of UNLV policy to:

  1. Copy any copyrighted software provided by UNLV. It is a criminal offense to copy any software protected by copyright, and UNLV will treat it as such.
  2. Use licensed software in a manner inconsistent with the licensing arrangement. Information on licenses is available at the tutor stations or through NSHE Computing Services.
  3. Copy, rename, alter, examine, or delete the files or programs of another person or UNLV without permission.
  4. Use a computer to annoy others, including, but not limited to, sending offensive messages or knowingly causing a system to malfunction.
  5. Create, disseminate or run a self-replicating program (“virus”), whether destructive in nature or not.
  6. Use a computer for non-university work, such as for a private business or non-UNLV sanctioned club.
  7. Tamper with switch settings or do anything that could damage terminals, computers, printers, or other equipment.
  8. Collect, read, or destroy output other than your own work without the permission of the owner.
  9. Use the computer account of another with or without permission unless it is designated group work.
  10. Access or attempt to access a host computer, either at UNLV or through a network, without the owner’s permission, and/or through use of log-in information belonging to another person.