Dec 06, 2023  
2008-2010 Undergraduate Catalog 

Student Services & Activities

 Click on any of the following links for information:
The university is committed to placing students at the center of all that we do. In addition, we work to foster good citizenship and appropriate responsibility among all members of the university community. It is our job to create an environment in which students can learn—where they will be challenged, where they can take risks, where they will be safe. Students have opportunities for recreation and entertainment through intramural programs, athletic events, concerts, and other cultural events as well as opportunities for involvement in student government, campus activities, honor societies, and faculty research.

The Division of Student Life assists students in their intellectual, social, and personal development. We share responsibility for creating an environment that is conducive to learning and personal development. Programs and services within Student Life are organized in seven units: Student Life Administration, Campus Life, The Center for Academic Enrichment and Outreach, Enrollment and Student Services, Police Services, Student Wellness, and Student Life Facilities.

Office of the Vice President for Student Life

^ Top


The Office of the Vice President for Student Life is located in Flora Dungan Humanities Building (FDH), Room 330. The Vice President is responsible for coordinating services and programs offered within the Division of Student Life. Responsibility for the student judicial affairs process rests with the Vice President. The Vice President works with student leaders, contract providers, and division staff to ensure that students are well served.


^ Top

The Office of Campus Housing, in collaboration with the students living in the residence halls, is responsible for the development of a comprehensive housing and food service program. The residence halls are staffed by full-time professionals trained in counseling and college student development and by student peer advisors who undergo extensive training. Residence hall staff and students work together to create an environment that supports student academic achievement, healthy lifestyle choices, responsible behavior, and personal development.

The Office of Campus Housing is located at 4760 Gym Road. Students wishing to live in the residence halls must request a residence and dining hall contract directly from this office. Housing is available on a first‑come first-served basis to any full-time, regularly enrolled student. Freshman students graduating from high schools outside of Clark County, Nevada, are required to live in the on-campus residence halls unless excused by the Campus Housing Office. For specific information on the freshman on-campus housing regulation, contact the Campus Housing office in the Housing Administration Building (HAB) or by telephone at 702-895-3489.

Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation
The University of Nevada, Las Vegas Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation requires that all unmarried undergraduate freshman students who have been admitted for study and who are enrolled for a least 12 credit hours reside in university residence halls unless:

  1. The student has been excluded from this requirement (see A below).
  2. The student has been granted an exemption from this requirement (see B below).
  3. The student has been excused from this requirement (see C below).
  4. Space is no longer available in the residence halls.
  1. Exclusion From the Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation
    Exclusions from the on-campus living requirement will be provided for those students who, prior to July 1 for fall semester, December 10 for spring semester, or May 1 for summer term, submit appropriate documentation to the Office of Campus Housing indicating that they have:
    1. Married.
    2. Achieved sophomore class standing by earning at least 24 semester credits.
    3. Completed high school at least one calendar year previous and, because an independent living style has been established, it is unlikely that the residence hall experience would be educationally beneficial.
    4. Been previously enrolled at this or another university as a full‑time student for a least two semesters or the equivalent.
  2. Exemptions for the Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation
    Graduates of high schools located in Clark County whose actual residence is with parents, guardians, or close adult relatives are automatically exempted from this requirement.

    Requests for exemptions from this regulation by students who graduated from high schools outside of Clark County must be submitted on the form available through the Office of Campus Housing by July 1 for fall semester, December 10 for spring semester, or May 1 for summer term and may be approved if actual local residence is with parents, guardians, or close adult relatives not subject to the on-campus living requirement. The student is required to register with the Office of Campus Housing and qualifies for exemption when the actual local residence is with parent, legal guardian, grandparent, adult aunt or uncle, or adult brother or sister and the actual local residence is within metropolitan Las Vegas, including greater Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Boulder City, Henderson, and Blue Diamond.
  3. Requests to Be Excused
    Requests to be excused from compliance with the Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation will be considered by the Office of Campus Housing provided the specific request supports a reason listed below and that the written request to be excused is received by the Office of Campus Housing by July 1 for fall semester, December 10 for spring semester, or May 1 for summer term.
    1. Medical necessity certified by a physician and approved by the Office of Campus Housing after reasonable accommodations are made in room assignment, facilities, or other adaptation.
    2. Financial hardship supported by Family Financial Statement (FFS) or Family Aid Form (FAF) evaluated by the Office of Student Financial Services and approved by the Office of Campus Housing in accordance with the established standards for the determination of financial hardship. Approximately six to eight weeks are needed to process the FFS or FAF forms, and no request for a financial hardship can be considered until the forms have been processed.
    3. Special circumstances supported by compelling documentation. The denial or approval of the request will depend upon substantiation of the circumstances.
  4. Compliance with Regulation
    Compliance with the Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation is a condition of initial registration and continuing enrollment at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
    1. All regularly admitted students who have not earned 24 semester hours of college-level credits and who are enrolling as full-time students for either an academic semester (12 or more credits) or a summer term (six or more credits) are subject to this policy.
    2. First-time freshmen requesting exemption or to be excused from the on-campus housing requirement must complete their requests with the Office of Campus Housing prior to the dates specified in each section.
    3. Transfer students to the University of Nevada, Las Vegas must present documentation of eligibility for exclusion in the form of transcripts to the Office of Campus Housing.

The Office of Campus Housing is the only agent for administration of the Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation. All approvals for waiver (exclusion, exemption, or excused) from this requirement must be in writing from the Office of Campus Housing. Proof of compliance with the Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation is the responsibility of the student, and failure to comply with this regulation may be cause for denial or cancellation of registration.

On-Campus Housing and Food Service
Residence Halls: Students choosing to live on campus will find themselves living in modern, comfortable, and conveniently located residence halls. All residence halls have been constructed or renovated since 1988 and are located in the southeast section of campus, only a few minutes’ walk from the center of campus. Residence hall rooms, with few exceptions, are double-occupancy; two rooms share a bath. Each student will have a bed and mattress, study desk and chair, wardrobe or closet space, and drawers for storage. Ample lounge space for studying and socializing is found in each building. All buildings are air-conditioned and provide laundry, and TV and are close to the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

Students will find that a number of special features accompany residence hall living. Students have the opportunity to live in residential environments planned around specific themes such as freshman support programs, upper‑class programs, substance-free and study-intensive. Computer labs are available at no charge. Parking is located near most of the buildings. Residents are provided with local phone service from their room at no additional cost; long-distance service can be accessed by the use of a calling card.

Students choosing to live in the residence halls become members of a vibrant community. Students have the opportunity to participate in a wide variety of activities and take on leadership roles through student program committees, the Residence Hall Association (student government), and student employment positions. New residents will find their floor a center of activity and learning. Guided by a resident assistant, a carefully selected and specially trained upperclassman, the floor members will establish and monitor floor standards and plan events, and will assist each other in mastering the challenges of college.

Food Service: The Hazel M. Wilson Dining Commons, immediately adjacent to the residence halls, was constructed in 1990. All residents must participate in the dining program, the cost of which is included in the residence hall fee. A variety of meal plans and eating options are available, providing students with a wide variety of food from which to choose a balanced diet. Special meals and dining events occur throughout the year. For health and safety reasons, cooking is not permitted in the residence halls.

Residence and Dining Hall Costs: The cost of room and board will vary depending on the meal plan selected. For detailed information about housing and food service fees, please contact the Campus Housing office or visit our website at

Room and Board Refund: Residence hall students officially withdrawing from the university will receive a room and board refund according to terms and conditions of the dining and residence halls contract.

Applying for Housing: On-campus housing, 702-895-3489, is offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Freshmen who have graduated from high schools outside of Clark County, Nevada, are required to live in on-campus housing. All freshmen are guaranteed housing if they are admitted and submit a contract by Feb. 1. The Freshman On-Campus Housing Regulation is published in the Admissions section of this catalog. Questions regarding the regulation can be addressed to the Campus Housing office. While approximately 2,000 beds exist on campus, the demand for housing usually exceeds availability. Interested students should request a contract directly from the Campus Housing office or can download the contract by accessing the Internet at Associated fees and all reservation information can be accessed on the website or questions can be addressed by calling.

Other Housing: Married students must seek housing off campus. More than 40 apartment complexes are available within walking distance of the campus. These rental apartments are available at a wide range of costs, depending upon the accommodations.

Students living off campus may purchase a commuter student meal card or pay for each meal in the Dining Commons.

Campus Copy Center

^ Top


A full-service copy center, off of Harmon near the Lied Library is available for faculty, staff, and students. Discounted prices are available. All copyright regulations apply.

Student ID Card (Rebel Card) Services

^ Top


You will need an identification card for various uses on campus, i.e., computer lab, library, physical education facility use, getting a parking permit, plays, concerts, selling back books, games room, CSUN elections, and student discounts.

The RebelCard is the official UNLV identification card. To get your RebelCard you must be registered and present a state or federal ID to the RebelCard Service Center located in the Student Union Room 118, next door to Starbucks. You can deposit money to your card and use it as a debit card (RebelCash) at participating locations both on and off campus. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday - Wednesday and 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Thursday and Friday.

UNLV Tickets

^ Top

702-739-FANS (3267) or 866-388-FANS (3267)

Ticket offices are located on campus to handle ticket sales to various events. Locations include:
Performing Arts Center (702-895-2787)
Thomas & Mack Center Special Events (702-739-3267).

Office of Student Life Scheduling and Conferences

^ Top

Phone: 702-895-4449
Fax: 702-895-4103

The Office of Student Life Scheduling and Conferences exists to provide centralized scheduling and event planning services for Student Life Facilities and campus green space.

Student Life Facilities we schedule:
UNLV Student Union
Student Recreation and Wellness Center
Campus housing conference rooms
University green Space

Services we provide:
Scheduling and planning services
Full selection of audio-visual and other equipment
Event-coordination services (if required or requested)
Risk management and day of event services
Information for on-campus resources

Career Services

^ Top

Assists all students with career planning, career development, and job searches. Students clarifying career decisions, seeking career-related experiences, or pursuing a professional job search can benefit from the many services of this office. Specifically, the office provides:

  • Computerized career assessment systems
  • Career counseling
  • Career Information Center
  • Internship assistance, promotion, and referral
  • Career Fair events
  • On-campus interviewing
  • On-line postings for campus jobs, internship and career positions
  • Resume-writing assistance
  • Interview coaching (video-assisted)
  • Career-related seminars and workshops

Questions about career-related planning or issues should be directed to the department in the Student Services Complex (SSC 301) or by telephone at 702-895-3495.Our website is

Disability Resource Center

^ Top

702- 895-0866

The Disability Resource Center (DRC) is the officially designated office for determining eligibility and facilitating accommodations for UNLV students with disabilities. Students who are interested in obtaining accommodations must apply to the DRC and provide current medical, psychological, or psycho-educational documentation for review. Applying for services can be done on line at

The DRC collaborates with students, faculty and the university community to facilitate the creation of accessible environments that support student learning and success. The DRC strives to empower students by providing services that are designed to foster student independence, self-determination, and disability pride.

The DRC offers a wide range of supportive services (not special education resources) so that eligible students with disabilities can access and participate in university programs and courses. Services are provided on a case-by-case basis and may include: note-taking assistance, various testing accommodations, adapted print materials, assistive technologies, sign language interpreting or real-time captioning of lectures, various other resources and referrals, faculty and staff consultation and workshops and presentations of various topics of interest to students with disabilities.

Questions about services or disability related issues should be directed to the DRC by phone at 702-895-0866, or by e-mail at The center is located on campus in the Reynolds Student Services Complex in Room 137.

Orientation and Parent Programs

^ Top


The University Programs office coordinates New Student Orientation, the Rebel Connection Welcome Program, and Parent Programs. New freshman and transfer undergraduate student orientation is designed to facilitate students’ adjustment to the university environment to ensure a smooth transition and a successful first year. Parents can join the parents association to receive free electronic and print newsletters. Parents are encouraged to attend orientation with their student and to join the university community for Family Weekend each fall. The office is located in Reynolds SSC, Room 143, and can be reached at 702-895-2970.

NCAA Academic Services and Compliance

^ Top

This office works in conjunction with academic programs and team coaches to provide advising, tutoring, computer access, and other academic support services for UNLV’s 400+ intercollegiate athletes. Office staff may be contacted by telephone at 702-895-0668 or in person at the Flora Dungan Humanities Building, Room 422 (FDH 422).

International Students and Scholars Office

^ Top

Phone: 702-895-0143
Fax: 702-895-0169

The International Students and Scholars office assists admitted students in their transition to life at the university and in the United States. Initial inquiries about the university, admission applications, and transcripts of previous work should be addressed to the UNLV Office of Undergraduate Recruitment.

Services provided by International Students and Scholars include arrival information, immigration-related document processing, immigration and visa advice, personal and academic counseling, and social and cultural programs. A required orientation is held each semester for new international students. The office, located in the Reynolds Student Services Complex (SSC), room 311, is a welcoming and supportive environment for international students and scholars. Office staff may be contacted by telephone at 702-895-0143, by fax at 702-895-0169, or by e-mail at

Campus Recreational Services

^ Top


The Office of Campus Recreational Services is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive recreational activities program that provides an opportunity to engage in organized activities for enjoyment, health, and social interaction. The activities that are scheduled and coordinated for UNLV students, faculty, and staff include intramural sports, outdoor equipment rental shop, Outdoor Adventures, non-credit courses, and the Wellness Center.

Fitness and Wellness Programs: This component of the department is responsible for all activities including; more than 250 exercise machines such as cardio and selectorized and free weights; group fitness classes including traditional and progressive class format; personal training and fitness assessments. The Rebel Wellness Zone is a holistic developmental resource for all of your fitness and wellness needs. These programs are in the SRWC, which can be reached at 895-4400 or

Intramural Sports: This component of the department is responsible for individual and dual activities such as tennis, Ping-Pong, racquetball, etc. Team sports offered include flag football, basketball, soccer, floor hockey, dodgeball, kickball, volleyball and softball. Special events that occur during the year include oozeball (mud volleyball), Fool’s Olympics. The Intramural Sports office is located in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center (SRWC). Additional questions can be answered by calling our office at 702-774-7120 or going to our website at

Outdoor Equipment Rental Shop: Students can rent camping or recreational equipment for an outdoor experience. Included in the inventory are two- and four-person tents, backpacks, sleeping bags, canoes, stoves, lanterns, snowshoes, coolers, volleyball sets and much, much more. The shop is located in the SRWC or can be contacted at 702-774-7120 or

Outdoor Adventures: This unit is responsible for providing opportunities to individuals who wish to participate in outdoor pursuits. Outdoor Adventures trips include canoeing, hiking, backpacking, camping, snowshoeing, and rock climbing trips through out the southwest. Information about the current adventures is available for pick-up in the SRWC, call 702-774-7120, or go to

Club Sports: The office of Club Sports assists student organizations interested in recreational activities. Some of the clubs include rugby, boxing, bowling, lacrosse, water polo, volleyball, ice hockey, ultimate Frisbee, and tennis. Students interested in joining or starting a recreational club are encouraged to visit Club Sports in the SRWC or phone 702-774-7120,

Student Employment: Opportunities exist in all areas of responsibility within the Campus Recreational office i.e. sports official, office attendant, fitness staff, outdoor trip leader, and supervisor positions. The main office is located in the SRWC. Additional questions can be answered by calling our office at 702-774-7120 or going to

Student Involvement and Activities (SIA)

^ Top


The Office of Student Involvement and Activities helps students get involved with their university through campus activities, leadership development opportunities, service programs, Greek organizations, evening and weekend programs and more. Involvement connects what you learn in the classroom with real-world experiences, helping prepare you for leadership positions in a global economy. For more information visit the SIA office in the Student Union.

Student Activities: UNLV provides opportunities for students to participate in the life of the campus through events, traditions, and celebrations. A student planning committee, the Rebel Pride Council, coordinates major events such as PREMIER UNLV, Rebels After Dark, movie and comedy nights, evening and weekend events, and spirit-building programs. Rebel Pride Council also works closely with University Programs to implement the student programs for Family Weekend and Homecoming.

Greek Life: There are more than 25 Greek letter social fraternities and sororities at UNLV. Greek organizations emphasize leadership development and philanthropic opportunities that further Greek traditions and ideals.

Leadership Development: Students can engage in a wide range of leadership education, development, and training opportunities. Whether you are brand new to campus or an experienced student leader, you are sure to find a program that meets your needs. Programs include the UNLV LeaderShape Institute, Leading Edge Series, the Seven Habits of Highly Effective People series, monthly leadership programs, and leadership classes.

Service Programs: Service work is a great way for students to make a meaningful contribution to the community. Rebel Service Council, a group of students committed to providing their peers with community service opportunities, coordinates programs such as Meals on Wheels and Labor of Love. Other opportunities for service include Alternative Breaks and fundraising for national charities.

Student Organizations: There are more than 200 recognized student organizations at UNLV, representing a wide variety of opportunities to get to know other students and to further explore your interests. Information on these organizations and resources for existing organizations can be found in the Student Organization Resource Center (SORCE) on the third floor of the Student Union or online at

Office of Student Conduct

^ Top


Students’ rights and responsibilities are outlined in the UNLV Student Code of Conduct which governs student behavior on campus. Each student is expected to become familiar with the expectations outlined in the Code. Based on the premise that all students share responsibility for creating a safe and supportive learning environment, the Code outlines procedures for disciplinary action against a student who violates the provisions of the Code. Copies of the Code of Conduct are available in the office of the Vice President for Student Life (FDH 330) and in the offices of Campus Life (FDH 226).

The student conduct officer has responsibility for implementing the Code’s provisions and creating educational interventions that assist students in meeting their responsibilities as members of the university community. This individual may be reached by calling 702-895-2308.

Center for Academic Enrichment and Outreach

^ Top


The mission of the Center for Academic Enrichment and Outreach (CAEO) is to provide traditional and alternative educational opportunities to the community through services and research that promote personal success. CAEO helps middle school, high school, and college students from low-income families (and from families where neither parent nor guardian has graduated from a four-year institution) access and graduate from institutions of higher learning. The center’s purpose, then, is to introduce higher education as an option to populations that have been traditionally underrepresented in postsecondary education because of class, social, physical, and cultural barriers.

CAEO offers the following services: academic advising, tutoring, instruction in developmental courses (math, science, English, writing, reading comprehension, and English as a second language), assistance with college admissions and financial aid/scholarship applications, counseling on college-adjustment issues, school decisions and admissions, personal counseling, and referrals to other campus and community resources. CAEO houses 11 federally funded TRIO projects (Ronald E. McNair Program, Student Support Services, Upward Bound Math and Science program, three classic Upward Bound programs, three Educational Talent Search programs, and two Educational Opportunity Centers), two TRiO training projects and four federally funded GEAR UP projects. Other programs within CAEO include the UNLV Tutoring Program, UNLV Early Studies Program, EMBRACE, Parents Educational Program, Summer Food Nutrition Program, Enterprise Community Educational Program, and Summer Youth Employment Program.

Ronald E. McNair Program (McNair) is committed to helping diversify the ranks of American faculty and of research institutions by encouraging undergraduate students who are members of underrepresented groups to pursue doctoral studies and consider faculty careers. Students who participate in this program are provided with research opportunities, faculty mentors, stipends, and publication opportunities.

Student Support Services (SSS) assists college students with overcoming personal concerns, academic deficiencies, and financial difficulties that could impair their chances of succeeding in college. It provides students with the necessary tools to develop life skills that aid in increasing retention and graduation rates and to adjust to the demands of the campus environment. Participants, who include disabled college students, receive individualized tutoring, guidance and counseling, financial aid assistance, remedial instruction, GRE/GMAT preparation assistance, and career exploration assistance.

Upward Bound (UB) and Upward Bound Math & Science (UBMS) help high school students prepare for higher education. Qualified participants receive instruction in literature, composition, and foreign languages, while maintaining a heavy focus on mathematics and science. The program has two components: academic year and summer residential. During the academic year component, participants attend classes and workshops at the UNLV campus, where they also receive academic and career counseling, tutoring, financial aid assistance, and college admission information. During the summer residential program, students live in the UNLV residence halls, obtain first-hand experience of being college students, participate in activities that promote educational and cultural enrichment, and receive regular program services.

Educational Talent Search (ETS) (3) serves students in Grades 6 through 12 by providing academic advising/counseling, financial management, admissions requirements, and assistance with various student financial aid programs.

Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) (2) assists qualified individuals 19 years of age and older to pursue postsecondary education. EOC assists qualified participants with choosing a career path and appropriate education channels as well as encourages high school dropouts to return to high school or obtain a GED (General Education Diploma). The goal of EOC is to increase the number of adult participants who enroll in postsecondary education institutions.

TRiO Training (2) provides professional development seminars for TRiO professionals from projects across the nation. Participants receive instruction regarding TRiO regulations and budget management, as well as workshops on assisting TRiO participants with college admission and the financial aid application process.

GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) (4) focuses on providing intense and intrusive services to entire grade levels of Clark County’s poorest schools. The GEAR UP cohort model allows CAEO to serve more than 20,000 students, their parents, their school and their community. Services include instructional enhancements, after-school programming, teacher professional development, volunteer and mentor services, tutoring, skill-building workshops, parental workshops, a speakers’ bureau, and much more.

UNLV Tutoring Program is managed by the CAEO and provides one-on-one, small-group and lab tutoring to primary, secondary, and postsecondary students throughout Southern Nevada. The purpose of tutoring is to enhance the academic performance of students, provide understanding of course content and learning materials, and help excel in areas they find challenging. Tutoring services contribute to improving standardized test scores, grades, retention and graduation rates, and resiliency in postsecondary educational settings. Through tutoring, students not only increase their understanding of subject matter, but also improve their self-confidence and develop effective study habits.

Early Studies Program (ESP) This program managed by the Center for Academic Enrichment and Outreach provides opportunities to high school juniors and seniors to earn university credits while still in high school. The primary goal of this program is to allow students to get a head start on their university core requirements and/or courses of particular interest to them. Here, students have a chance to familiarize themselves with the campus community; participate in numerous activities and events; and earn dual credit for high school and university courses, depending on course selection.

In addition to providing direct services to participants, CAEO conducts, contributes, and sponsors academic research aimed at enhancing the body of knowledge that supports the improvement of retention and academic attainment rates of the disadvantaged and underrepresented populations. The center’s objective is to increase the enrollment, retention and graduation rates of individuals who come from disadvantaged and underrepresented backgrounds. GEAR UP and the TRIO programs at CAEO are federally funded through the U.S. Department of Education. All services provided through CAEO are FREE to those who qualify. CAEO offices are located in the Student Services Complex, Room 201, and at 1455 E. Tropicana Ave., Suite 650.

UNLV Police Department

^ Top


The Department of Police Services is divided into three units: the Police Patrol & Investigations Unit, the Police Records & Administration Unit, and the Police Dispatch & Communications Unit (Student Security Services is a part of this unit). All are service-oriented and provide a resource to the university community. The Police Unit provides police services to the university 24 hours a day, 365 days per year. All officers are certified by the State of Nevada as Category 1 Police Officers and have the same authority as Las Vegas metro officers in their respective jurisdictions. Police Officers are available for emergency assistance by calling 911. University Police provide other services including crime prevention presentations, bicycle registrations, ride-alongs, monthly open forums called “Rebel Roundtables,” welfare checks, background investigations, security surveys, and special-event security for campus events. To inquire about any of these services please call 702-895-3668.

The Police Records and Administration Unit provides support services for the department and the university community. Several services are available to the campus community through this unit including: police report copy services, fingerprinting services, lost and found services, and notary services. To inquire about any of these services please call 702-895-4747. Report copy services are available for a fee Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fingerprinting services are also available for a fee Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Both lost and found and notary services are based on employee availability and interested individuals should call in advance to make an appointment.

The Police Dispatch & Communications Unit provides a 24-hour emergency communications center for the UNLV Police Department that is open 365 days a year. In addition to providing this service the unit also provides the following services to the university community: campus emergency call boxes, alarm-monitoring capability, notary services and student security services. Notary services are based on employee availability. Student Security Services personnel are uniformed student employees who carry police radios and act as eyes and ears for the campus police. Suspicious activity is reported to campus police, but no intervening measures are taken by these students, who are not police officers. The Student Security Services Unit also provides a safety escort service to the campus community. Students studying late who wish to be escorted to their residence hall or vehicle need only call 895-3668, and a Student Security Services team will respond to escort them where they want to go (based on availability).

The Department of Police Services has expanded its operations and administration headquarters to three locations. The Police Dispatch & Communications Unit and Student Security Services are on the main UNLV campus at the Claude I. Howard Public Safety Building located on Harmon Avenue, across the street from the Environmental Protection Agency complex west of the Lied Library Building. UNLV police headquarters and the Police Administration Building (PAB) are located on the Paradise campus, 851 Tropicana Ave. (S.E. Corner of Swenson and Tropicana). UNLV Police Services also has a police facility on the UNLV Shadow Lane Campus in the Shadow Lane Campus Services Building (Building C). This facility houses UNLV Police Services’ Shadow Lane police patrol. In an emergency, dial 911. For business or information-related calls, use 702-895-3668 or dial 311 from any campus phone.

Student Financial Services

^ Top


The University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) provides a wide variety of assistance to finance higher-education expenses. Grants, scholarships, part-time employment and educational loans are available to help students meet their costs while attending UNLV. Students are encouraged to explore all possible resources. For more information about available resources and the application process, you can refer to the Student Financial Services section of this catalog. Further details are available online at You may also contact the office at 702-895-3424 or visit the second floor of the Reynolds Student Services Complex.

Veteran Services: Veterans and dependents of veterans who plan to receive veteran educational benefits should contact Student Financial Services located in Room 232 of the Donald W. Reynold’s Student Services Center. The phone number for the Veterans Services Desk is 702-895-2290. Documentation requirements for benefits differ for new and transfer students, and they vary according to the chapter providing the educational benefits. Student Financial Services has packets available detailing which forms need to be completed for these different situations. These forms and other important information are also available from the UNLV web site ( by clicking on Veteran’s Services. Also refer to the GI Bill website ( for additional information.

Student Health Services

^ Top


The Student Health Center is open Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Services are available to students through same-day appointments; just call to schedule a reservation. Specialty clinics require a pre-scheduled appointment, so be sure to call ahead. The health center is staffed with physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, registered nurses, and support staff to provide essential wellness and medical services on an outpatient basis. We are located within the Student Recreation and Wellness Center on the south side of campus.
Services include:

  1. Treatment of minor illnesses and injury.
  2. Early detection and referral of chronic illness or coordination of ongoing care.
  3. Immediate first aid and blood pressure checks.
  4. Fitness screening and exercise prescriptions.
  5. Screening tests for hearing and vision.
  6. Evaluation of allergies, referral for initial antigen treatment, and continuation of allergy antigen injections.
  7. Pregnancy testing and provision of contraception.
  8. Screening exam and testing for sexually transmitted diseases, free HIV testing, and acute management of sexual abuse/assault.
  9. Evaluation, assistance, and referral for substance abuse and eating disorders.
  10. Low-cost and free lab tests available through our licensed lab with a licensed practitioner’s order.
  11. Standard prescription and non-prescription medications available through our licensed pharmacy.
  12. Free health information and health education programs.
  13. Nutrition services and appointments with a registered dietician.
  14. Evaluation by specialists: sports medicine, dermatology and gynecology.

ALL MEDICAL RECORDS ARE CONFIDENTIAL. Information will not be released to anyone without the written consent of the student except as provided by law or in the case of life-threatening emergency. Students under the age of 18, by Nevada state law, are minors and must have a signed, notarized parental consent and release for medical care on file at the Student Health Center prior to care being given. These forms are available upon request. The center will provide information for private insurance reimbursement. For services not available on campus, referral lists to community physicians and services are available at the reception desk. Payment for services outside the Student Health Center are the responsibility of the student. For further information, call 702-895-3370.

Student Health Fee: The mandatory health fee is a program fee that supports the various services offered by the Student Wellness Cluster. These services not only support the mental health and medical facility on campus but also include wellness education and immunization programs.

Student Health Insurance: The health fee is not to be confused with the Student Health Insurance Plan. UNLV undergraduate students admitted to a sponsored UNLV program and registered for six or more credit hours and graduate students admitted and registered for three or more credit hours are eligible for coverage under the student health insurance policy. Students must maintain the minimum credit hours in order to be eligible. Optional dental coverage and vision insurance may also be purchased. All F-1 UNLV international students are REQUIRED to purchase UNLV health insurance. International students are automatically charged health insurance fees when they register for classes.

Mandatory Immunization Requirement: The state of Nevada follows the guidelines of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Service Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (APIC). Nevada Administrative Code 441A.755 states that a person shall not attend a college or university in this state without proof of immunity to tetanus, diphtheria, measles, mumps, rubella and any other disease specified by the state Board of Health unless excused because of religious belief or medical condition. The American College Health Association (ACHA) and ACIP also recommend that parents and students be aware that there is a safe and effective vaccine against meningitis. Two recent studies indicate a slightly higher risk among freshman dormitory residents for meningitis. Other vaccination information: ACIP, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Academy of Family Physicians and the American Medical Association also recommend that adolescents and young adults receive three doses of hepatitis B vaccine, two doses of varicella virus (chicken pox) vaccine for susceptible persons, annual doses of influenza, and two doses of Hepatitis A vaccine for individuals residing in geographic areas that have a higher incidence of documented cases. For additional information or clarification, go to these web sites regarding and Immunizations may be obtained from your physician or the local county health district. In Las Vegas immunizations can be obtained at the Southern Nevada Health District, telephone 702-759-1000. During the academic year, the Student Health Center immunizes only those students who have registered and paid the mandatory health fee. During the summer, prospective students may be seen for the state-mandated vaccines for a limited time. Call for clinic times and availability at 702-895-3370.

Drug and Alcohol Awareness Program: All students are eligible to participate in the Campus Drug and Alcohol Awareness Program. In accordance with the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendment of 1989, UNLV is committed to the prevention of alcohol and other drug abuse on campus. Within the context of the university’s educational tradition, the focus is on informed choices and the exercise of personal responsibility as applied to the use/misuse of alcohol and other drugs. There are specific guidelines for regulation of the use of alcohol available through the Office of Student Activities.

Student Counseling & Psychological Services

^ Top


Pursuing a university education can be exciting and challenging. It can also be highly stressful since social and personal concerns can interfere with academic work and emotional well-being. Student Counseling and Psychological Services is committed to helping students benefit fully from their collegiate experience at UNLV. Our psychologists and counselors specialize in dealing with the problems commonly experienced by college students of all ages and collaborate with the student to increase self-understanding and develop the skills necessary to overcome personal concerns.

Confidential services offered to assist students manage the adjustment demands and personal challenges of college include:

  • Individual and group counseling.
  • Couples and family counseling (At least one member of the couple or family must be a currently enrolled UNLV student.)
  • Crisis counseling.
  • Psychological assessment and testing.
  • Drug and alcohol use assessment.
  • Referrals to community health care providers when the student’s needs cannot be adequately provided for within the limits of a short-term therapy approach.
  • Educational workshops and presentations.
  • Comprehensive web page with hundreds of answers to common concerns.
  • “Talk Before You Drop” telephone hotline where students considering leaving school can discuss this decision with one of our professional counselors (702-895-3627, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.).
  • Medication evaluation and management.
  • Consultation to campus community (faculty, staff, and students).

All currently enrolled UNLV students who paid their student health fee are eligible for confidential counseling services. We make our best effort to provide same-day appointments for initial visits. Please call or stop by our office on the day you are available to attend an intake evaluation. Our office hours are Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. For situations that need immediate attention, a crisis counselor is available during operating hours.

Our services are provided free of charge, except for certain psychological testing. We are located on the third floor of the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. For more information, call us at 895-3627 or visit our website at

The Jean Nidetch Women’s Center

^ Top

Phone: 702-895-4475
Fax: 702-895-0601

The Jean Nidetch Women’s Center is a resource center committed to meeting the diverse needs of the UNLV campus community by providing programs and services to educate, support, motivate, and empower lives. With an emphasis on women’s concerns, the Women’s Center promotes self-awareness and self-sufficiency, equity, and an understanding of the evolving roles of men and women. It provides a safe and comfortable atmosphere for people to network, build community, and reflect the diversity of the UNLV campus community.
Our programs and services are:

  • Scholarships—We provide several types of scholarships to students who demonstrate financial need and have overcome adversity or who are “re-entering” and returning to university life after an extended absence.
  • Workshops and seminars—We offer a variety of workshops on topics including the promotion of non-violence, women’s health, advocacy against domestic violence, and sexual-assault prevention.
  • Re-entry program—Scholarships are available for students enrolling at UNLV if they are returning after an extended absence or are entering higher education for the first time at a mature age.
  • Special events—Special events such as “Take Back the Night” as well as guest speakers and activities sponsored in conjunction with campus and community groups are ongoing.
  • Internships, practicums and projects—Undergraduate and graduate students are encouraged to explore applying theory to practice through their respective academic discipline. Projects, internships and special events are opportunities for students to get involved and advance their academic goals.

All students are welcome to visit the JNWC on the second floor of the Student Service Complex, Room #255 (located directly behind the Cox Pavilion).

Student Activities and Organizations

^ Top

Student Organization Resource Center

The Student Organization Resource Center assists students seeking information on how to get involved on campus. They provide contacts for the more than 200 recognized student organizations at UNLV and information on upcoming campus events and activities. Students involved in organizations will find resources to support marketing and event implementation as well as computers and printers for student organization business. Student organization funding sources and monthly educational workshops for student organizations and their advisors are also provided.

The Rebel Yell, 702-895-1512: The campus newspaper is produced and edited entirely by students, reflects student viewpoints and provides a learning experience for all interested students. The newspaper is distributed free on campus two times a week and can be viewed online at

KUNV, 91.5 FM, 702-798-9169: KUNV is the nonprofit, broadcast service of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. The radio station offers quality cultural, informational, and entertainment programming to the Las Vegas community, and provides educational opportunities for students pursuing careers in the broadcast field. Internships, independent study and volunteer work can be arranged directly with KUNV or through the Journalism and Media Studies program in the Greenspun College of Urban Affairs.

Student Government (CSUN)
702-895-3645, All undergraduate students are automatically members of the Consolidated Students of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (CSUN) upon paying their fees and tuition. CSUN is made up of three branches:

  • Executive Branch (President, Vice President, Senate President, Vice President Pro-Tempore, Senate President Pro-Tempore, and eight Directors).
  • Legislative Branch (25 Senators representing each undergraduate college).
  • Judicial Branch (nine Justices appointed to two-year terms).

All officers are elected by the student body and most serve one-year terms. CSUN has many boards and committees available for students to get involved; visit their main office in the Student Union for details and applications. Copies of the CSUN Constitution and all CSUN meeting agendas are available on their website and various locations around campus.

The goal of CSUN is to enhance the students’ college experience by offering needed services, desired programs, leadership opportunities, exciting entertainment, and enriching lectures. Most importantly, the primary focus is to serve as representative of the students to the university administration and the local, state, and community governments.

Executive Branch
The Executive Branch oversees all of the actions of CSUN. The members are elected by the student body at the general election in April, and the newly elected officers serve a one-year term beginning May 1.

The Executive Branch appoints eight Directors to assist with the responsibility of various activities, such as entertainment & programming, campus life, student information, CSUN services, elections, Nevada student affairs, publications, and marketing. Directors have their own board composed of undergraduate students who help decide and carry out the mission of CSUN.

A Volunteer Board has been created for students who want to help out with just a few of the events each year.

Legislative Branch
The Legislative Branch (the Senate) is made up of 25 undergraduate students elected from each of the 11 colleges on campus. Senate elections are held in October and the newly elected Senators serve one-year terms beginning and ending Nov. 1.
Below is the apportionment for UNLV


4 Senators


2 Senators


2 Senators

Fine Arts

2 Senators

Health Science

1 Senator

Hotel Administration

3 Senators

Liberal Arts

3 Senators


1 Senator


2 Senators

Urban Affairs

2 Senators

University College

3 Senators

The following is a list of Senate committees and their areas of responsibility. Each committee is composed entirely of CSUN Senators:

  • Ways and Means (prepares the annual CSUN budget)
  • Campus Safety and Awareness (works with Public Safety to advocate safety issues on campus)
  • Constitutional Revisions and Statutes (revises the CSUN Constitution)
  • Bylaws (revises the Senate bylaws)
  • Rules and Ethics (adjudicates violations of CSUN and University Codes brought against CSUN Student Government members)
  • Scholarship (collects applications and selects recipients of CSUN scholarships including the Tom Wiesner, pre-professional, leadership, head start, CSUN, and student teaching scholarships)

Judicial Council
The Judicial Council is an autonomous branch of Student Government and is responsible for interpreting the CSUN Constitution to determine the legality of any actions taken. Judicial Council members are undergraduate students nominated by the Executive Board and confirmed by the Senate to serve a two-year term from the date of their appointment. The council is chaired by the Chief Justice and is composed of nine members.

CSUN assumes responsibility for recognizing student organizations each semester. These student clubs and organizations supplement intellectual and social development at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

Honors, Awards, and Scholarships
Nevada Centennial Medallion Award: A silver medallion is presented each year to the graduating senior who achieved the highest four-year scholastic record at the university. The first medallion, representing the state’s 100th birthday, was awarded June 3, 1964, to a senior in UNLV’s first graduating class. The last of 101 medallions made available by the Rotary Club of Las Vegas will be presented in the year 2064 on Nevada’s bicentennial anniversary. A plaque listing all the recipients hangs in the library.

Phi Kappa Phi Medallion: Graduating seniors who have been initiated into UNLV’s chapter of Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society are presented with bronze medallions hung on a blue cord to wear over the gown at commencement. Each year UNLV’s chapter of Phi Kappa Phi invites to membership the top members of the senior and junior class in all academic disciplines.

College of Business
Phi Gamma Nu Award. Presented to the graduating senior with the highest grade point average.
Wall Street Journal Student Achievement Award. Given to an outstanding business student.

College of Education
Lilly Fong Outstanding Student Teacher Award. Presented to an outstanding senior completing student teaching.
Science and Art Technology. Presented to an undergraduate or graduate seeking initial licensure with a science or art education major.
Evelyn Semling Endowment. Presented to sophomores, juniors, and seniors in undergraduate programs in elementary education.

College of Fine Arts
Colonel Koch Award. Presented to an outstanding art student.
Outstanding Achievement in Art Award
Outstanding Choreographer Award in Dance
Outstanding Graduating Music Student Awards
Outstanding Performer Award in Dance
Outstanding Scholar Award in Dance
Outstanding Theatre Arts Senior Award

Division of Health Sciences
E.R. Squibb and Sons Award. Presented for outstanding achievement in nuclear medicine and radiological sciences.
Outstanding Student Awards in Nursing. The Clark County Medical Society Auxiliary presents awards to outstanding students in the baccalaureate degree programs.

School of Nursing
Outstanding Student Awards in Nursing. The Clark County Medical Society Auxiliary presents awards to outstanding students in the degree programs.
Mary Lou Loveday Endowed Memorial Scholarship: Memorial scholarship offered to a full-time student with children at home.
Maria Tiberti Nursing Scholarship: Awarded by the Tiberti Foundation to a full-time prenursing or nursing student.
Alfred and Marjorie Rappaport Foundation: Awarded by Lahr Foundation to full-time undergraduate and graduate students.
Harry and Rebecca Lahr Scholarship: Awarded by Lahr Foundation to full-time undergraduate and graduate students.

College of Hotel Administration, William F. Harrah
Merit Award of American Hotel Foundation. Presented for meritorious achievement to a finalist in nationwide competition for the Arthur J. Packard Memorial Scholarship.
Outstanding Achievement in Hotel Accounting. Presented to a hotel student showing superior academic achievement overall and in accounting by the Las Vegas chapter of the International Association of Hotel/Motel Accountants.
William Weinberger Award. Presented to the outstanding graduating senior in hotel administration.

College of Liberal Arts
Audrey Lorde Award for the Outstanding Student in Women’s Studies. Established to honor a graduating women’s studies major who has demonstrated outstanding scholarship, service, and activism within the field of women’s studies.
Award for Excellence in Philosophy. Given to a junior or senior majoring or minoring in philosophy, based on a paper submitted in an annual competition.
Bourse de L’Alliance Francaise Awards. Given to outstanding students majoring in French.
The Del Harrison-Pi Sigma Alpha Award. Presented for excellence in political science.
Hiram Hunt Poetry Award. Presented for excellence in poetry.
History Department Award. Given for best pro-seminar paper.
John S. Wright Award. Given for best graduating history major.
Maura Kaufman Award. Presented to an outstanding student majoring in English.
Richard H. Byrns Award. Presented to an outstanding student majoring in English.
Ralph Roske Award. Given for best beginning history major.
Outstanding Student in Psychology. Presented to the outstanding senior in psychology.
Psi Chi Distinguished Service Award. Presented to a graduating senior for outstanding service contributions.
Undergraduate Research Award. Presented to seniors in psychology for outstanding achievements in research.
University Forum Fellowships. Two fellowships awarded to juniors, one of whom must be a major in liberal arts, while the other may be a major in any college, including liberal arts.
VISTA Award. For the outstanding graduating senior in the College of Liberal Arts.
C. Wright Mills Student Award. Awarded to an outstanding graduating senior in sociology.

College of Sciences
American Institute of Chemists Student Award. Given to an outstanding senior in chemistry
American Chemical Society Undergraduate Award in Analytical Chemistry
American Chemical Society Undergraduate Award in Organic and Polymer Chemistry
Anne Wyman Mineralogy Award
Boulder Dam Section of the American Chemical Society. Given to an outstanding chemistry student
Bradley/Dill Award. Awarded to outstanding students in biological sciences
Chemical Rubber Company Chemistry Achievement Award. Presented to an outstanding freshman chemistry student
Chemistry Department Awards for Achievement in General Chemistry
Clark County Gem Collectors, Inc. Presented to outstanding geology students
Geological Society of Nevada Scholarship
Outstanding Graduating Senior in Mathematics Award
Outstanding Beginning Physics Student Award
Ronald L. Lynn Award. Given for outstanding service to the geoscience department
Terry Evans Memorial Award. Given to exceptional students in aquatic biology

College of Urban Affairs, Greenspun
Outstanding Student of the Year in the Department of Social Work

^ Top